Program suggestions (trying again)

hotdogday

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Unranked

Undergrad GPA: 3.0

Type of Grad: Top 50

Grad GPA: 3.25

GRE: 740Q 600V

Math Courses: Calc I-III (Bs), Linear Aglebra (B), ODE (B), Linear Programming (B), Control Theory (B), Proofs (B), Intro Real Analysis (A), Real Analysis (A), Theory of Matrices (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level): PhD core, Econometrics and a few field courses (mostly Bs) (Note that my school has no grade inflation; this is the standard grade)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): All As

Letters of Recommendation: Good ones.

Research Experience: Yes (after failing)

Teaching Experience: Yes

Research Interests: Micro

SOP: Solid

Concerns: Failed a prelim. Dominated the other prelim.

Other: Good thesis.

Applying to: No Idea.

I will only be applying to schools that are in or very near a city so my significant other will have job opportunities. I'm interested in micro, math, and metrics. My school has a pretty high attrition rate, so I don't necessarily think I'm not cut out for it (based on a lot of factors). The upper-division math courses were taken after exams. I also prefer warm places. I was a last-round admit, anyways, the first time. Truthfully, a lot of my first year was spent caring for a loved one who had a lot of sudden, acute health issues, and I think my absence may have upset one or more professors (I kept the situation to myself because I didn't want to make excuses). The issues have now stabilized. I did not retake the GRE because my problem is speed - I'm computationally slow and obsessively check my work. I'm generally very solid at math and one of the best in my cohort. Just slow.

Edited by hotdogday
Browser messed my formatting up.

Do you hope for a lateral move?

Nah. Anywhere that has low attrition and does interesting work works for me.

Where do you live. It gives a way your school. You say your limited in location so that probably limits your options.

My understanding is that we're not to give away our location information on these boards (not smart anyway). I imagine there are plenty of places that are both warm and urban.

Nah. Anywhere that has low attrition and does interesting work works for me.

My understanding is that we're not to give away our location information on these boards (not smart anyway). I imagine there are plenty of places that are both warm and urban.

I have no idea why this is the perception of forum members. Most professors have on their websites their phone number, email, office address, age, hobbies and interests, and even how many kids they have.

But just a few years prior we won't say what CITY we're in??

I have no idea why this is the perception of forum members. Most professors have on their websites their phone number, email, office address, age, hobbies and interests, and even how many kids they have.

But just a few years prior we won't say what CITY we're in??

Could just be that posters would rather some information be anonymous, for whatever reason. Personal websites are tightly controlled, people will branch out more in discussions given anonymity.

Guest 8675309
Its hard to say given your interests: I wouldn't go to university of new mexico. If you were in a legit top 50 (top 40 on US World News), then I think you can probably manage a top 75 move if you can get some good letters from professors at your program. The story your saying is common. Micro try Rice, Clemson, Dallas, Texas A&M, Georgia State (Atlanta). Texas A&M probably is the best fit. I don't know micro as well as I do macro. Its not an urban area, but is in commuting distance of 3 big cities.