Urch Forums

Is $20k enough to live in Gainsville, Florida

DDQuanta

Hi Urchers,

As said on the topic, I got an offer of University of Florida with $22k financial support (but there will be around $2k of other fees I have to pay). Is this amount sufficient to live there? I'm not a big spender by the way. Thanks you all in advance.

It's just enough to get by. You'll need to find work in the summer (RA, teaching, "consulting/interning") unless you having savings or outside support (spouse, parents, and so on).

Thanks for the reply! How much do you think is sufficient then? My parents can support me, although I don't wanna bother them if I can. And is it possible to ask the department if they could raise it a bit more?

Thanks again.

At a state school (UF is a state school right?), the stipend is likely non-negotiable.

$22k is considerably more than many schools. Most people end up in some debt after grad school, the future earnings tend to swamp that concern.

You'll likely get paid that stipend over a period of 8-10 months so you are looking at somewhere in the region of $2k each of those months after taxes. That should be fine to live on "month-to-month" but you'll never really have money to buy a new car, flights home, or a vacation. Over the time you are in grad school, your friends from college will get married, non-local weddings are expensive. Those are the kinds of things you will have to ask parents for help with.

Note that you'll have 2-4 months with no income unless you find RA or teaching work.

At a state school (UF is a state school right?), the stipend is likely non-negotiable.

$22k is considerably more than many schools. Most people end up in some debt after grad school, the future earnings tend to swamp that concern.

You'll likely get paid that stipend over a period of 8-10 months so you are looking at somewhere in the region of $2k each of those months after taxes. That should be fine to live on "month-to-month" but you'll never really have money to buy a new car, flights home, or a vacation. Over the time you are in grad school, your friends from college will get married, non-local weddings are expensive. Those are the kinds of things you will have to ask parents for help with.

Note that you'll have 2-4 months with no income unless you find RA or teaching work.

Many thank! That's really helpful!

The only way to know is to make a budget. A good way to do this is to estimate how much it would cost each month to pay for

1) Rent

2) Utilities

3) Internet

4) Food

5) Car and gas

6) Insurance (car and renters at a minimum)

7) Leisure

8) Other expenses (health, hair cuts, cleaning supplies etc etc)

and compare these costs to your monthly income net taxes (which should be around $1,475?)

It looks doable. There are apartments next to campus that cost $700 a month. If you are willing to live further away, the price can go down to $400-$550. You can also room up.

Living next to a busline that goes to campus is always a good way to say money. Even better, live somewhere next to a super market.

Just to add to what a few others have said, first, I'd speak with other graduate students and ask how they live and get by on the stipend. Second, the easiest way to save money is to live with roommates. When I was in graduate school, I made the choice to supplement my stipend with student loans so that I could afford to live alone and spend a little more having fun.