Urch Forums

Profile evaluation (Fall 2019)

d7r

Hi guys!

How are you doing?

What about my profile? I'd like to know if I have any chance...

I really appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Type of Undergrad: Economics - LA University (well known university in my country; middle ranked econ depth in my country - 10~20)

UGPA: 8.99/10 (2nd highest) (with honors)

Type of Graduate: Master in Economics - same university

GPA: 9.51/10 (1st highest)

TOEFL: 103

GRE: Expecting score >=167 (Q)

SoP: working on it.

Some undergrad courses: Micro I,II,II (8.7, 8.3, 9.7), Macro I,II,III (10, 10, 10), Calc I,II (5.2, 9.5), Dynamic Econ[EDO] (8.5), Linear Algebra (8.5), Statistics I,II (9, 5.8) Econometrics I,II (9.5, 9.4), Topics in Econometrics (9), Sampling Techniques (10), Applied Comp Methods (8.5)

Graduate courses: Math Economics[Real Analysis and Optimization] (9.3), Micro I,II (9.7, 9.8), Macro I,II (8.8, 9.7), Topics in Econometrics[Linear Algebra] (9.5), Econometrics I (9.8), Labor Economics (Expecting 9.5).

Others courses: Introd to Real Analysis at dept of math (No grade) - summer course

Teaching: 3.5 years as TA (Micro I, Econometrics II, Linear Algebra, Econometrics I) - all undergrad level.

Research: 2 years as RA (1 year during the undergrad and 1 year during the master's)

LoR: 3 good letters (2 econometric professors with PhD from USA and 1 math professor with PhD in Pure Math from USA)

Others info: National Exam for entry in graduate programs[Macro, micro, statistics and math] (Top 7% overall, being top 3% in math and statistics) - It is same test for all students in my country.

Fields: Applied microeconometrics, applied micro, labor, education, and economics of crime.

Planning to apply to: UC3M, Michigan State U, Bonn GSE (PhD), U of Mannheim, Tinbergen, CEMFI (PhD), Rice U, U of Essex, and CU Boulder.

Comments: I had 2 low scores in my undergraduate.

Edited by d7r

Given your interests and the fact that you apply also in Europe, I would also recommend to apply in Tilburg (I'm a faculty members there and think that your interests would be a good match).

Thanks for your answer. I will include Tilburg on my list.

• 2 months later...
165 is just shy of 90th percentile. It's 89th if I recall correctly. It's fine, I suppose, but maybe retake it to cross over to 90th percentile if you have the time and means to do so. A couple hundred bucks extra is inconsequential, in the grand scheme of things, if it helps you get into a better programme.

165 is just shy of 90th percentile. It's 89th if I recall correctly. It's fine, I suppose, but maybe retake it to cross over to 90th percentile if you have the time and means to do so. A couple hundred bucks extra is inconsequential, in the grand scheme of things, if it helps you get into a better programme.

Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately, I have no more time (and money) to retake the GRE. I'm gonna try the application using this score.

Edited by d7r