Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ECON PhD Profile Evaluation (poor math grades)

economist

Good post? Yes | No

Re: ECON PhD Profile Evaluation (poor math grades)

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygrades View Post
    But I don’t have a university medal, and this makes a big difference. Besides, my letter writers are not that well known. Now I don’t think I have a chance for top15 or even top20. Probably a medal is a must for top15.
    How many university medals are given out in Economics in a year?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    How many university medals are given out in Economics in a year?
    Iím not sure, sometimes one or two, sometimes up to five. And some of them donít apply for PhD. I know that two students with medals from last year will apply for 2020 fall and their target is top5.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

You don't need to be the best student at USYD to get into a top 15 program. You don't need a medal.

The people at USYD--most of whom have American PhDs--can give you good advice as to a reasonable range of target schools.

Good post? Yes | No

I’m not sure, sometimes one or two, sometimes up to five. And some of them don’t apply for PhD. I know that two students with medals from last year will apply for 2020 fall and their target is top5.
    There have been 5 in one year at Sydney Uni? That sounds extremely high. I thought two was the absolute upper limit.

In any case, I don't completely buy into this obsession with uni medals that people assign to getting into graduate programs.

Also consider that (at least in UNSW's case) uni medals were only awarded a few months after applications were due. So if you are graduating this year, given this can't be known until maybe January or February, perhaps it is less of an issue.

But one thing that is a bit unclear from your original post: what are you counting as an A/B/C etc? ANU grades out of 100 with HD/D/etc I thought.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by erckle View Post
    There have been 5 in one year at Sydney Uni? That sounds extremely high. I thought two was the absolute upper limit.

In any case, I don't completely buy into this obsession with uni medals that people assign to getting into graduate programs.

Also consider that (at least in UNSW's case) uni medals were only awarded a few months after applications were due. So if you are graduating this year, given this can't be known until maybe January or February, perhaps it is less of an issue.

But one thing that is a bit unclear from your original post: what are you counting as an A/B/C etc? ANU grades out of 100 with HD/D/etc I thought.
    A is HD and B is D, I was thinking that people here might not be familiar with HD/D.

Good post? Yes | No

A is HD and B is D, I was thinking that people here might not be familiar with HD/D.
    Alright I see. The advice commonly given on this forum is still true: ask your letter writers where they think you might get in / should apply.

Potential for quite high variance so I would apply quite widely.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by erckle View Post
    Alright I see. The advice commonly given on this forum is still true: ask your letter writers where they think you might get in / should apply.

Potential for quite high variance so I would apply quite widely.
    Iíll apply to up to 15 schools, probably USC is the bottom line. My letter writers also told me to apply widely as there would be much noise. I know ANU sent students to UW Madison, Maryland and Queenís last year but still itís very hard to make predictions.

economist

Good post? Yes | No

I’ll apply to up to 15 schools, probably USC is the bottom line. My letter writers also told me to apply widely as there would be much noise. I know ANU sent students to UW Madison, Maryland and Queen’s last year but still it’s very hard to make predictions.
    This is a good strategy. One more suggestion that I often give to my students. Make up a preliminary list of schools. Then ask your letter writers if they suggest either striking some or adding some at either the top or the bottom. This lets them politely say not to bother applying to Harvard...or to tell you that you have too many safety schools and should be being more aggressive.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by startz View Post
    This is a good strategy. One more suggestion that I often give to my students. Make up a preliminary list of schools. Then ask your letter writers if they suggest either striking some or adding some at either the top or the bottom. This lets them politely say not to bother applying to Harvard...or to tell you that you have too many safety schools and should be being more aggressive.
    Actually I did make a list and below is a summary of what my letter writers said:

Prof1: You should also consider Yale. Me: I should add USC. Prof1: Yes you should add some safe schools.

Prof2: This is a good list, maybe you should pick a few safe schools: a, USC , c...

Prof3: Donít apply to Yale. Me: Iíll add some safer schools like Davis and a, b. Prof3: They are not safe, you should add Boston College. (?)

So at the end of the day, Iíll just apply widely after having a look at their faculties and placement records.....

Good post? Yes | No

Actually I did make a list and below is a summary of what my letter writers said:

Prof1: You should also consider Yale. Me: I should add USC. Prof1: Yes you should add some safe schools.

Prof2: This is a good list, maybe you should pick a few safe schools: a, USC , c...

Prof3: Donít apply to Yale. Me: Iíll add some safer schools like Davis and a, b. Prof3: They are not safe, you should add Boston College. (?)

So at the end of the day, Iíll just apply widely after having a look at their faculties and placement records.....
    I am not sure what the outside option is, but perhaps Prof3's letter won't be all that amazing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information