Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - MS in Stats applying for PhD in Econ

GenericUsername

Hi all,

I am a current Master of Science in Statistics student beginning the process of applying to Economics PhDs for Fall 2021, though I'm struggling to get a sense of the caliber of programs I should be applying to. Of particular note are an F in Calc II, a D- in Linear Algebra, and a C in Econometrics, due to then-untreated mental health problems (which I'm assuming I should not mention in my SOP, correct?). I'm hoping my GRE, strong econ (bar metrics), and more recent math/stats record will overcome my spotty undergrad grades. Many thanks for any input you can provide regarding program caliber.

Graduate program: MS in Statistics, online program. Top ~25 statistics program.

MS in Statistics GPA: 4.00/4.00

Undergraduate Degree: BA in Economics, Public Policy, Minor in Statistics. Top ~30 program.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.47/4.00

GRE: Q 169, V 169, AW 5.5

Math Courses (reverse chronological): Grad Linear Algebra (ongoing), Advanced Calculus I (A), Diff EQ (A), Linear Algebra for Applications (D+), Discrete Math (A), Multivariable Calculus (B+), Calc II (D), Calc II (F).

Stats Courses (reverse chronological): (Ongoing grad courses in Bayesian methods, regression, multivariate analysis, and spatial statistics), Grad Statistical Methods I (A), Grad Mathematical Statistics (A), Grad Statistical Computation in R (A), Spreadsheet statistical models (B+), Intro to Probability (B), Linear Statistical Methods (B-), Intro to Statistics (A).

Econ Courses (reverse chronological): Senior Paper II (A-), Senior Paper I (B-), Advanced Micro Theory (A), Applied Econometrics ©, Advanced Macro Theory (A), Economic Thought (A), IO (A), Labor (A), Intermediate Macro (A-), Intermediate Micro (A), Economic Statistics (A-), Econ 101 (A).

Related Experience: No RA. Undergraduate TA for intermediate macro. Private sector experience as an oil and gas research analyst at a reputable firm.

Letter of Recommendation: Planning to get two from econ research faculty members: one under whom I served as an undergraduate TA, extracurricular chair, and pseudo-collaborator (nothing published), and one under whom I wrote my senior research paper (not published, and I didn't actually submit an honors thesis for defense, again largely due to mental health, but he liked my paper and suggested I reach out to him for a letter if I wanted to pursue grad school). Then either my Advanced Calculus I professor or my undergraduate Econ Department Chair.

Research Interest: Very strong interest in empirical macro, but don't want to over-commit to an area. May pivot toward applied analysis of education/anti-poverty interventions once I start taking reading more literature/engaging with research more.

Thanks again!

Based on your outstanding academic and intellectual potential and the rare, but present, spotty class performances, I think you would be best in the range of #40-60 per USNews rankings. Any higher and odds start to look more sparse, and much lower and you may be wasting your potential.