I have been going thru this forum and have seen a lot of expired visa related queries, however I wanted to post again since my situation is a bit different and I need advice.
Here’s a little background. I came to the US in 2005 for my Bachelors degree. I graduated in May 2009 and have been working on my OPT ever since. My OPT is valid until November 2011 however my visa expired in November 2009. I understand my legal status in the US is maintained by my I-20 document and EAD, both of which are valid for me.
Here’s where my situation gets a little complicated. I am an Indian citizen but my parents live in Indonesia (my dad’s job). I will be traveling to Indonesia next month and I checked with the US Consulate there and found out its possible for me to apply for a visa renewal in Jakarta, Indonesia. My dad has a work related Permanent Residence for Indonesia but I’ve never been to that country.
I have all my documents ready (I-20, passport, I-94, EAD card, letter from my university stating that I graduated and am working on my OPT authorization, letter from my employer, pay stubs, letter from my father’s work stating that I’m his dependent, “zero balance” document from my university stating I have paid my tuition in full).
My questions are:
- Could they reject my F-1 since I have already graduated (even though technically OPT is still student status)?
- Does having a job in the US imply I have immigration intent?
- Is it rather advisable to get my F-1 renewed in Delhi, India instead?
- Is there a difference between visa renewal and visa reapplication?
- Could there be any other complications that anyone can predict?
These questions may seem repetitive to some, none the less, I am really nervous about it. I’m debating whether it’s really worth traveling back at all. Any kind of help or support is appreciated. Thanks in advance.