Urch Forums

Bocconi PhD

quark2001

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything, I wrote two times to have more info... nothing. It's incredible. Also Carlos III is behaving is this way...

I have also noticed they do ignore messages. What I am curious is how come MJ7 got contacted. That's interesting.

@ quark2001 + ibne.shah. Anyways, let's hope for better, although there are no any particular signs for it. Do you mind if I ask what your academic/professional background is? Ibne.shah your nick hints me you are somewhere from Asia. Am I correct? Turkey or Middle East...

What I am curious is how come MJ7 got contacted. That's interesting.

I'm pretty confident I was not the only one to be contacted by email - even though no other posts came on TM, a lot of people don't actually post here, or even know about the site. And no, I don't have any sort of personal connections to faculty or admissions personnel, so I just think they may be waiting for the first round to be over (April 19th), and then contact more people. Right now they may not know whether or not they can admit you perhaps (just speculating here). But may I suggest that if they take so long to answer emails (or never do), you could always try to call them - at least some human being is bound to be on the other side. Also remember last week was Easter, which means a lot of people probably took the week off from work in Spain and Italy. And always make sure to tell them you have to respond to other offers with a deadline, so you need them to haste. @vkny2000: other people on the forum (including Cremona2) also got contacted by Carlos III, so for that one I'm 100% sure I was not an exception.

don't exasperate! things usually turn around last minute, and that means even beyond April 15!

I'm pretty confident I was not the only one to be contacted by email - even though no other posts came on TM, a lot of people don't actually post here, or even know about the site. And no, I don't have any sort of personal connections to faculty or admissions personnel, so I just think they may be waiting for the first round to be over (April 19th), and then contact more people. Right now they may not know whether or not they can admit you perhaps (just speculating here). But may I suggest that if they take so long to answer emails (or never do), you could always try to call them - at least some human being is bound to be on the other side. Also remember last week was Easter, which means a lot of people probably took the week off from work in Spain and Italy. And always make sure to tell them you have to respond to other offers with a deadline, so you need them to haste. @vkny2000: other people on the forum (including Cremona2) also got contacted by Carlos III, so for that one I'm 100% sure I was not an exception.

don't exasperate! things usually turn around last minute, and that means even beyond April 15!

Actually, I was talking about Bocconi, not Carlos III... Since the thread was initiated at PhD Bocconi title, and the posts were in that particular context. So, you received an email from Bocconi or Carlos III or whatever university you implied? Clarify, please.

Actually, I was talking about Bocconi, not Carlos III... Since the thread was initiated at PhD Bocconi title, and the posts were in that particular context. So, you received an email from Bocconi or Carlos III or whatever university you implied? Clarify, please.

The entire first part of my post was regarding Bocconi. The last sentence regarding Carlos III (which you brought up 2 posts earlier, which is why I even mentioned it). I got an email from both.

The entire first part of my post was regarding Bocconi. The last sentence regarding Carlos III (which you brought up 2 posts earlier, which is why I even mentioned it). I got an email from both.

Thanks for clarifying. I really appreciate it. My congratulations on your two offers.

I still question why they could not keep the procedure as transparent as stated on their website. March 15 should have been the same for all candidates, and then make adjustments to the lists.

By the way, it was not me who brought up Carlos III, I have vague idea about that one...

By the way, it was not me who brought up Carlos III, I have vague idea about that one...
indeed, it was quark2001. Notwithstanding, the point remains.

I still question why they could not keep the procedure as transparent as stated on their website.
I have no idea what happened in previous years, but I seem to recall someone who mentioned last year offers were being released as late as April, and that the March 15 benchmark really meant nothing. Give them a call, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from doing that.

I have no idea what happened in previous years, but I seem to recall someone who mentioned last year offers were being released as late as April, and that the March 15 benchmark really meant nothing. Give them a call, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from doing that.

Thanks for your pieces of advice. I will give them a buzz any time soon.

It is very pity March 15 benchmark means nothing, because I prefer dealing with the ability to meet the deadlines. This is the way we are trained to work, and expect the same from others. Will see...

Edited by vkny2000

on their website they say that the results will be given after april 19th

that's the date they gave me to reply to their offer...now I'm starting to really wonder whether and how many other people got an offer via email like me...:hmm:

By the way, I'm really disappointed with their uncorrect behavior.

A school like Bocconi shouldn't treat applicants in this way.

So, the ones who did not receive the email, means they are left for the second round. It's fine, just a little moment... Why it can not be as transparent and fair as they claim? Candidates have a right to know if they are a first or second choice. The most disappointing thing is that they believe everybody is idiots. That's no good! At all.

No surprise they are best in Italy, not in Europe or worldwide...

@quark... What is your country of origin? I was told that Bocconi primarily accept Italians, then the rest of the world (1-2 persons) for so called internationalization. It's not like in US of A where universities are really international and diverse and are equal opportunity entities. So, Bocconi runs some discriminative policies.

The funniest thing is that they, perhaps, started notifying people before March 15, since it is stated on the website that the results will be posted BY March 15. LOL. What's all that drama about? If it is "not qualified", why they just can not tell it flat out? :rolleyes:

Did you accept the offer?

No, I probably won't either, but there are still a few people I have to speak with to make a final decision.

I was told that Bocconi primarily accept Italians, then the rest of the world (1-2 persons) for so called internationalization.

I'm European, but not Italian, and my undergrad degree is from the US...I think they are trying to diversify their student admits, although you are right in general the student body is overwhelmingly Italian.

they, perhaps, started notifying people before March 15

I was notified on March 28, so I don't think March 15 held true for anyone...

Edited by MJ7
missed last point

@MJ7... What school did you attend in US? What state?

To be honest, I do not care about PhD in Ec/Fin with Bocconi anymore. It was shady from the very beginning. The attitude they give to candidates displays how well they are doing in deversification. I will watch how fast they become so called leading European business school.

Plus from what I know as a rule Europeans prefer to spend funds on Europeans and in Europe, and Italians are not an exception (even one of the best examples). However, one may still encounter some few Russians. It is partially a political component as well.

So, whoever is from Middle East or Asia -- there is no better place than US of A.

@MJ7... What school did you attend in US? What state?

I went to undergrad in the state of NY - not sure how that is any relevant to the discussion at point about diversification of the student body away from Italians...

from what I know as a rule Europeans prefer to spend funds on Europeans and in Europe, and Italians are not an exception (even one of the best examples). However, one may still encounter some few Russians. It is partially a political component as well.

So, whoever is from Middle East or Asia -- there is no better place than US of A.

I agree that there is a preferential selection towards European students, but that has to do more with EU educational policies of exchange and funding (Bologna, Erasmus, etc). Plus, I don't think one can fairly generalize: I declined Barcelona because of lack of funding, where there are at least 10+ scolarship funds exclusively for Latin American students; LSE has a LOT more scolarship awards for non-EU students, especially for those from the developing world:

Awards for Overseas students - Awards for Overseas students - Awards - Diploma, LLM, MA, MSc and MSc (Research) programmes - Scholarships for study at LSE - Financial support - Student Services Centre - Students - Staff and students - Home

and Turkey, Morocco and Algeria, for example, are very well represented among European universities. If anything, I would say Italian unis are in fact the exception rather than the rule - one of the principal reasons being, IMHO, that they have to accomodate loads of Italians wanting to study economics who don't speak any English and hence have to stay at home...

Just curious, why is the Bicconi Ph.D so well regarded on this forum when it isn't in the top 100 according to the econphd.net rankings?

I think it has to do mainly with 1) particular faculty of interest to certain subfields; 2) high reputation and value of its Masters programme (reputation by association).

And here's one ranking where they come at #78:

https://econtop.uvt.nl/rankinglist.php

But yes, if I knew what I know now and had done more thorough research about what departments are well-regarded, I probably would have applied to Tilburg, Louvain or Toulouse instead.

I went to undergrad in the state of NY - not sure how that is any relevant to the discussion at point about diversification of the student body away from Italians...

It was just a question... You are right it is not relevant... Just human curiosity. Thanks for pointing out.

I agree that there is a preferential selection towards European students, but that has to do more with EU educational policies of exchange and funding (Bologna, Erasmus, etc). Plus, I don't think one can fairly generalize: I declined Barcelona because of lack of funding, where there are at least 10+ scolarship funds exclusively for Latin American students; LSE has a LOT more scolarship awards for non-EU students, especially for those from the developing world:

Awards for Overseas students - Awards for Overseas students - Awards - Diploma, LLM, MA, MSc and MSc (Research) programmes - Scholarships for study at LSE - Financial support - Student Services Centre - Students - Staff and students - Home

and Turkey, Morocco and Algeria, for example, are very well represented among European universities. If anything, I would say Italian unis are in fact the exception rather than the rule - one of the principal reasons being, IMHO, that they have to accomodate loads of Italians wanting to study economics who don't speak any English and hence have to stay at home...

So happy to hear all that! Thanks a lot. Good luck.

Oh, and those annoying numerous very simple grammar mistakes on their website... So, the website tells so much about the quality of the entire university...

whatever the results are for phd in b/a and management. berlusoni still *DELETED BY FORUM ADMIN*! let's help greece! LOL!

Let Iran have nuclear technology!

Edited by Erin
Merged.

• 2 weeks later...