Urch Forums

Economists and Erdos numbers

manchild

On another thread I commented that I was surprised that it appears that Paul Krugman doesn't have an Erdos number (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdős_number). Can anyone find a link from Krugman to Erdos (I couldn't in about 20 minutes of looking)?

To help, here is a list of Nobel Laureate ecnomists who do have an Erdos number:

Paul A. Samuelson 1970 Economics 5

Kenneth J. Arrow 1972 Economics 3

Tjalling C. Koopmans 1975 Economics 4

Herbert A. Simon 1978 Economics 3

Gerard Debreu 1983 Economics 3

Franco Modigliani 1985 Economics 4

Robert M. Solow 1987 Economics 4

Harry M. Markowitz 1990 Economics 2

Merton H. Miller 1990 Economics 4

John C. Harsanyi 1994 Economics 8

John F. Nash 1994 Economics 4

Reinhard Selten 1994 Economics 7

James Mirrlees 1996 Economics 3

Robert C. Merton 1997 Economics 6

Amartya Sen 1998 Economics 4

James J. Heckman 2000 Economics 4

Joseph Stiglitz 2001 Economics 4

Daniel Kahneman 2002 Economics 3

Robert J. Aumann 2005 Economics 3

Edmund S. Phelps 2006 Economics 4

Surprisingly, Danica McKellar and Natalie Portman also have Erdos numbers (and Bacon numbers therefore also giving them a Erdos-Bacon number, but that is another story...)

Yep. In psychology, I believe. The article I read about it may have been exaggerating, but she's been published even in well-regarded peer-reviewed journals. I think her Erdos-Bacon number is less than 10. (I think I remember reading that it was 6, or something)

I'm surprised to see Stiglitz and Heckman having higher numbers than Kahnemann.

Krugman was published in a Handbook edited by Richard Schmalensee who published with Arrow and Granger. If you can count being published by an editor as a node (even if it would probably make Krugman vomit), then the number is quite low.

Natalie Portman has been published in a journal?

She did her undergrad in Harvard; co-authored in NeuroImage.

Yep. In psychology, I believe. The article I read about it may have been exaggerating, but she's been published even in well-regarded peer-reviewed journals. I think her Erdos-Bacon number is less than 10. (I think I remember reading that it was 6, or something)

It is not that hard to achieve the Erdos number of 3 or 4 if you work in any field closely related to math/stats. For instance, I have Erdos number of 4 as I coauthored a good computer science publication. Generally, my impression is that in computer science many professors at Top 50 schools or so have Erdos numbers of 3-4, so it is not that difficult to get a pretty high value with only a single publication. I also mentioned my Erdos number in my CV for applications, but I am not sure if it helped at all:)