Urch Forums

The commission has directed advertisers to..

pzazz12

The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

A. or nothing that has been

B. or that has been

C. and nothing that is

D. or anything that has been

E. and anything

• 2 months later...

The question is a tricky one (though the look is simple!)

the key term is " to restrict the use of the word 'natural' to foods that donot contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, ..."

now we have to choose between 2 conjuction - and / or. If we go for and , the rest will reflect some element that must be NOT characteristic of natural foods. C is out.

If we go for 'or', the correct option is to be the sequence is to be " ... foods that contain ..... anything ...."

A - reverse the meaning (donot containt nothing ... two negative words mean something that contain) OUT

D & E - actually D and E has similar meaning. And interestingly they do not refer to "foods"... they are sequence of do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives. THIS CAN NOT BE A SEQUENCE as no "or" before chemical preservatives. So, the rest part of sentence is to refer directly to " food"

B is the answer.

Still I am not convinced ! Please share your views.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
That helps. One doubt:

Had E option been "or anything synthesized", would E be better than D (= or anything that has been synthesized) for concision?

thanks

Like this?

1. The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

1. or nothing that has been
  2. or that has been
  3. and nothing that is
  4. or anything
  5. and anything

or something like this?

2. The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

2. or that has been
  3. or anything that has been
  4. or anything
  5. and anything

In question #1, I'd go with D. In #2, still D.

Don't get confused about the difference between the usage of and and or--and would require all three components, whereas or would allow one, two, or three of the the components. (If you need more examples of that, please let me know.)

Hope that helps.

Erin

Like this?

1. The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

2. or that has been
  3. and nothing that is
  4. or anything
  5. and anything

or something like this?

2. The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word "natural" to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.

2. or that has been
  3. or anything that has been
  4. or anything
  5. and anything

In question #1, I'd go with D. In #2, still D.

Don't get confused about the difference between the usage of and and or--and would require all three components, whereas or would allow one, two, or three of the the components. (If you need more examples of that, please let me know.)

Hope that helps.

Erin

That perfectly answers my question. Thank you very much.