Urch Forums

2012 ARE Thread

resource

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? You still have nails left! Are you sure you're not a Sociology PhD applicant in disguise.:groucho: By the way, I've been emailing Berkeley ARE grad students and they reported for the field comps the different fields have different pass rates. Apparently, the environmental and ag. policy pass rates are slightly higher than the development pass rates. Most make it through the 2nd time, though.

What? You still have nails left! Are you sure you're not a Sociology PhD applicant in disguise.:groucho: By the way, I've been emailing Berkeley ARE grad students and they reported for the field comps the different fields have different pass rates. Apparently, the environmental and ag. policy pass rates are slightly higher than the development pass rates. Most make it through the 2nd time, though.

Yes, I still have nails, fortunately. :) Double congrats on getting in to Berkeley ARE! That's an amazing acceptance.

Any new news with y'all (other than Lily's constantly increasing stipend at Ohio State)? Has anyone made any decisions?

No decisions yet. Still deciding on which master's to do in preparation for an ARE PhD. I am currently drowning myself in:

- Asking advice from friends who are current ARE PhD students.

- Asking advice from friends who are current students at the master's programs I am considering.

- Asking advice from friends who are current economics professors or research professionals, with specializations in development and resources management.

- Browsing through hundreds of CV's of current ARE PhD graduate students at Berkeley, Davis and Cornell to see what master's they had when they got accepted to the PhD.

- Trying to get as much funding as possible.

- Trying to gauge whether I will be able to survive a New England winter.

Trying to gauge whether I will be able to survive a New England winter.

When your calculating that don't forget wind chill. I got this from Cornell's website:

"When the strong winds of Ithaca combine with low temperatures it becomes harder to keep warm. For example, if the temperature is 20°F (-7°C) but the wind is blowing at a speed of 35 mph (56 kph), then the wind-chill temperature is -20°F (-29°C). The snow also makes winter uncomfortable. Ithaca can get as much as 125 inches (316 cm) in one winter. There are usually one or two days each winter when brisk winds combine with very low temperatures to produce potentially dangerous conditions."

When your calculating that don't forget wind chill. I got this from Cornell's website:

"When the strong winds of Ithaca combine with low temperatures it becomes harder to keep warm. For example, if the temperature is 20°F (-7°C) but the wind is blowing at a speed of 35 mph (56 kph), then the wind-chill temperature is -20°F (-29°C). The snow also makes winter uncomfortable. Ithaca can get as much as 125 inches (316 cm) in one winter. There are usually one or two days each winter when brisk winds combine with very low temperatures to produce potentially dangerous conditions."

:cower:

This is terrible. I seriously cannot function in those temperatures. I've been living in tropical climates for like a decade. Luckily Yale has a website for winter resources. The fact that they even have such a website is worryingly telling. Ugh.

Does anyone know about the ARE MS program at the University of Tennessee

It's my first step at this forum, and now i have been admitted by the MS program at the University of Tennessee with assistantship. Since my ultimate career goal is to pursue a PhD degree, i want to ask if this program a good one to prepare for PhD program ? Thanks

C'mon y'all- that's great studying weather!

I actually lived in Ithaca for a few years. It is definitely miserable in the winter, but manageable. The summers there are fantastic.

This is terrible. I seriously cannot function in those temperatures. I've been living in tropical climates for like a decade. Luckily Yale has a website for winter resources. The fact that they even have such a website is worryingly telling. Ugh.

I'd probably die of heat stroke if I moved to an area with a tropical climate. I guess it depends on what you're accustomed to.

Does anyone know about the ARE MS program at the University of Tennessee

It's my first step at this forum, and now i have been admitted by the MS program at the University of Tennessee with assistantship. Since my ultimate career goal is to pursue a PhD degree, i want to ask if this program a good one to prepare for PhD program ? Thanks

Hey Zenith,

Welcome to the wonderful world of test magic.

Tennessee ARE isn't particularly well-regarded, but I think it would provide good training. In terms of reputation, I don't know anything about tennessee's program, which isn't the best signal. It would be helpful to know what your end goal (desired range of phd program) and a little bit about your background. Any type of MS (with good grades and a good thesis, if you write one) will augment a limited background in Econ/math or overcome weak grades. I think going to the Tennessee ag Econ program would put you in a good position to enter into tennessee's Econ or ag Econ phd program, given the connections you make. It would also be good to check out what former students are up to now (I.e., are they in phd programs? Working as ag insurance consultants?).

Hey Zenith,

Welcome to the wonderful world of test magic.

Tennessee ARE isn't particularly well-regarded, but I think it would provide good training. In terms of reputation, I don't know anything about tennessee's program, which isn't the best signal. It would be helpful to know what your end goal (desired range of phd program) and a little bit about your background. Any type of MS (with good grades and a good thesis, if you write one) will augment a limited background in Econ/math or overcome weak grades. I think going to the Tennessee ag Econ program would put you in a good position to enter into tennessee's Econ or ag Econ phd program, given the connections you make. It would also be good to check out what former students are up to now (I.e., are they in phd programs? Working as ag insurance consultants?).

Thank you very much,resource, i chose Tennessee,because it is the only program funds me, i also recieved admission from University of Connecticut and NCSU of their PhD programs. I came from a unknown univeristy from China and my undergraduate major is math, my class rank is 6 among 100+ students. I chose Tenessee because it concentrate on MS students and it offers me funding. One of the professor says Our students typically publish one to three journal articles from their thesesthen go on to some of the most prestigious universities in the USA to receive PhDs (for example, U. Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Purdue and Florida and Oklahoma State, North Carolina State, Michigan State, etc.). With your comments,i am discouraged and doubt if the professor telling me the truth about the placements of MS students. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Purdue was the first school I heard from- Feb 1. Yes, it's a half RA (maximum funding).

Hi Lily. If you don't mind, when did you hear from OSU about funding & how much are they giving? I am still too novice to understand the funding structure. Your funding status might help me figure out where I am standing at the moment. I am in in OSU AEDE but halted for my funding decision until April 15th. Thanks

Hi Lily. If you don't mind, when did you hear from OSU about funding & how much are they giving? I am still too novice to understand the funding structure. Your funding status might help me figure out where I am standing at the moment. I am in in OSU AEDE but halted for my funding decision until April 15th. Thanks

I heard fairly early on (early February I believe). They are offering me two different fellowships. One would cover my first and last year, and the other would cover my second year. I believe both come out to approx. 20k/yr. In years 3 and 4, I would have a TA presumably. Fellowship decisions were made a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing that some first years who don't get fellowships might be in the running for TAs. Good luck! I hope you hear soon.

Thank you very much,resource, i chose Tennessee,because it is the only program funds me, i also recieved admission from University of Connecticut and NCSU of their PhD programs. I came from a unknown univeristy from China and my undergraduate major is math, my class rank is 6 among 100+ students. I chose Tenessee because it concentrate on MS students and it offers me funding. One of the professor says Our students typically publish one to three journal articles from their thesesthen go on to some of the most prestigious universities in the USA to receive PhDs (for example, U. Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Purdue and Florida and Oklahoma State, North Carolina State, Michigan State, etc.). With your comments,i am discouraged and doubt if the professor telling me the truth about the placements of MS students. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Purdue and Michigan State both have strong Agricultural Economics MS programs. Were they on your radar when you were applying?

I do not think you will have any problem getting into a good program with a MS from Tennessee. I believe Ag/Applied Econ is much more forgiving of where you received your MA. If you do well in the program I think you will have a good shot at almost all programs, except perhaps Berkeley and Maryland, but those are always competitive.

I applied MSU PhD program and i was rejected. In the e-mail, Scott sasy You have a very good application. Unfortunately, we will be unable to offer you admission due to lack of fit with existing projects here.

What are your research interests? You should post your profile to the Roll Call thread! :)

What are your research interests? You should post your profile to the Roll Call thread! :)

Thank you very much, Lily, you give me much confidence again.As an undergraduate student majoring in math, i studied cash flow management and financial options. But as graduate student majoring in agricultural economics, i will focus on agricultural finance and agribusiness.

I heard fairly early on (early February I believe). They are offering me two different fellowships. One would cover my first and last year, and the other would cover my second year. I believe both come out to approx. 20k/yr. In years 3 and 4, I would have a TA presumably. Fellowship decisions were made a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing that some first years who don't get fellowships might be in the running for TAs. Good luck! I hope you hear soon.

Thanks a lot. I am wondering whether I still have chances for a good funded offer. I am an int'l student and I need full tuition waiver with a decent stipend (in any form TA/RA, fellowship, on-campus job, etc.) to cover up most of my living expenses. They gave me an cost estimate of around $60,532 for a year (4 quarters). Another question, should I consider 3 or 4 quarters for the first year of study, i.e. Do all PhD students go to school all 12 months in a year?

Edited by browngrass031

Thanks a lot. I am wondering whether I still have chances for a good funded offer. I am an int'l student and I need full tuition waiver with a decent stipend (in any form TA/RA, fellowship, on-campus job, etc.) to cover up most of my living expenses. They gave me an cost estimate of around $60,532 for a year (4 quarters). Another question, should I consider 3 or 4 quarters for the first year of study, i.e. Do all PhD students go to school all 12 months in a year?

I'm actually not sure. I know embarrassingly little about the program- which I hope will be remedied during the flyout. I should be able to tell you a lot more after Friday. My sister went to Ohio State for vet school, and I believe she attended every quarter. However, she didn't come home a lot due to residency issues, so I might be mistaken.

I'm actually not sure. I know embarrassingly little about the program- which I hope will be remedied during the flyout. I should be able to tell you a lot more after Friday. My sister went to Ohio State for vet school, and I believe she attended every quarter. However, she didn't come home a lot due to residency issues, so I might be mistaken.

Thanks. I will try to know more from you after Friday. I wish you have a nice flyout over there. Take care.

So, I have been super busy wrapping up my senior honors thesis and have not kept up with posting my admits/rejections, so here is my list (all ARE programs):

Rejections:

PhD: UMD, Berkeley

MS: Cornell

Acceptances

PhD: Wisconsin ($), Penn State ($)

MS: Davis, CSU, UConn ($), Maine ($), UMass ($), MSU ($), UMN, Ohio State, Oregon ($), Iowa, Purdue ($), Montana State ($), UNCG

I've decided to enroll at UConn for the MS program in hopes of receiving a funded offer from Berkeley, Davis, or Maryland in two years.

Thank you so much to everyone on the forum for the valuable insights during this process. I wish you all the best of luck where ever you wind up next year!!!

Congrats on making a decision, hardball! It looks like you had a lot of good options!

Would you mind elaborating a bit on why you chose UConn over your other offers? I'm particularly curious about your declination of a funded PhD admit at Wisconsin for a 2-year MS plus another shot at your top 3 choices in the future. I think it might help me think through the Wisc($) vs. UMD(currently unfunded) decision I am trying to make.

Resource, I think it would be hard to make a case for you to take Maryland over Wisconsin. I don't think the placements are different enough to warrant the loss in money. Especially in the world of agricultural and resource economics, the rankings are very condensed. We can all probably agree that Berkeley is tops, but I don't believe that having a degree from UMD AREC vs WISC AAE is going to get you more consideration on the job market. If you look at some of the recent postings for Ag/Resource jobs, candidates with flyouts have come from places like Davis, Iowa State, UCSD, Oregon, and Stanford. This was for a job at Davis by the way. That is a lot of variation in people being flown out, and it leads me to believe that your chances of a job in Ag/Res Econ are going to be determined by your research and fit. Very little difference is being paid to ranking, especially if it is between someplace like Maryland vs. Wisconsin. On the extremes (very high or very low) ranking will surely matter, but I don't think that is what we are talking about with those two specific programs. Congratulations on the Wisconsin AAE admit by the way, I think it is a great program. (And Maryland too)