Urch Forums

SEEKING A PROFILE EVALUATION (for FALL 2016 ENTRY)?? (PLEASE POST HERE)

tm_associate

@lu11sm

Someone in quant can probably provide better advice.

I'm not sure that validity, reliability and generality of data are mainstream topics in quant marketing.

Your GRE Q score is low for quant, you probably want at least 164, to be competitive with other applicants (and the higher the better).

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@evergreen

Thanks for the advice. So just to clarify, you're telling me that I should re-take the exam even though I wanna apply to colleges like UTexasArlington, USouthFlorida, TexasTech, UArkansas?

And I guess I wasn't that clear with my interests. If you ask me for a topic right now, I'd say price elasticity via econometric models.

@lu11sm,

I really can't comment on those schools, I'm not that familiar with them.

If I were you, I would just go on their websites and see what the average scores of the people who have been accepted in the past. (If it's GMAT, then just compare roughly across percentiles)

Hello,

First off, thank you for taking the time to read my profile and I appreciate your feedback. I am from a South Asian country who received a Government of India scholarship for my undergrad studies and have a Masters (thesis) in Electrical engineering from a mid ranked Canadian University where i worked as TA and RA. I have 1.5 years of experience of teaching in a private university back home and 3 years of Canadian work experience in a construction consulting firm where I was managing engineering teams.I have 2 IEEE publications (1 journal, 1 conference) and several local journal publications in engineering.

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): 159 (Verbal) 168 (Quant)

(Note: It often helps a lot more if you list the percentiles each of your raw/composite scores are associated with)

Undegrad GPA: 3.98/4.00

Graduate GPA: 3.81/4.00

Research Experience: 2.5 yrs

Teaching Experience: 3.5 yrs

Work Experience: 3 yrs

Concentration Applying to: Management and Strategy

Number of programs planned to apply to: 5

Dream Schools: HBS, MIT, Wharton, Rotman, Ivey.

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I have a technical background and got really interested into management problems and strategies during my professional working years and would love to devote myself into management and strategy research.

Concerns you have about your profile: I am not a graduate from a high ranked school and don't have a business background. Do I have the profile to even think of applying to my dream schools? In addition, I am currently 31 which most school might consider a bit on the higher side.

Any additional specific questions you may have: Based on my profile, what can I do to improve my profile further?

Thank you!

Hello,

First off, thank you for taking the time to read my profile and I appreciate your feedback. I am from a South Asian country who received a Government of India scholarship for my undergrad studies and have a Masters (thesis) in Electrical engineering from a mid ranked Canadian University where i worked as TA and RA. I have 1.5 years of experience of teaching in a private university back home and 3 years of Canadian work experience in a construction consulting firm where I was managing engineering teams.I have 2 IEEE publications (1 journal, 1 conference) and several local journal publications in engineering.

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): 159 (Verbal) 168 (Quant)

(Note: It often helps a lot more if you list the percentiles each of your raw/composite scores are associated with)

Undegrad GPA: 3.98/4.00

Graduate GPA: 3.81/4.00

Research Experience: 2.5 yrs

Teaching Experience: 3.5 yrs

Work Experience: 3 yrs

Concentration Applying to: Management and Strategy

Dream Schools: HBS, MIT, Wharton, Rotman, Ivey.

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I have a technical background and got really interested into management problems and strategies during my professional working years and would love to devote myself into management and strategy research.

Concerns you have about your profile: I am not a graduate from a high ranked school and don't have a business background. Do I have the profile to even think of applying to my dream schools? In addition, I am currently 31 which most school might consider a bit on the higher side.

Any additional specific questions you may have: Based on my profile, what can I do to improve my profile further?

Thank you!

Your profile looks good, but I can't tell if there is anything truly outstanding about it. To me this means that you will want to expand your application list to some lower ranked schools that are strong in areas you find interesting.

I don't think the lack of business background will kill you if you have a few years of management experience. Graduating from an elite schools is better than from a lesser known school, but you can't do anything about that now.

Being 31 isn't bad, but you are getting close to an age where it might matter, so you don't want to take too long (5+ years) to take the plunge into a PhD if you are going to do it.

Your profile looks good, but I can't tell if there is anything truly outstanding about it. To me this means that you will want to expand your application list to some lower ranked schools that are strong in areas you find interesting.

I don't think the lack of business background will kill you if you have a few years of management experience. Graduating from an elite schools is better than from a lesser known school, but you can't do anything about that now.

Being 31 isn't bad, but you are getting close to an age where it might matter, so you don't want to take too long (5+ years) to take the plunge into a PhD if you are going to do it.

I really appreciate your honest feedback. Although, you have been very generous and polite in your reply, I assume it means applying to my dream schools will be more than a long shot. In that case, do you have names for some lower ranked schools that does good research in the management and strategy area? I will conduct research on my own and some markers from your side will be very helpful. Thanks!

I really appreciate your honest feedback. Although, you have been very generous and polite in your reply, I assume it means applying to my dream schools will be more than a long shot. In that case, do you have names for some lower ranked schools that does good research in the management and strategy area? I will conduct research on my own and some markers from your side will be very helpful. Thanks!

Actually, I wasn't just being polite. I'm not in strategy, so I really can't say whether or not you have a good shot at those elite schools. You seem to check all of the boxes that I would expect, but the big kicker for the top tier is often letters from people that the professors there know and respect. If you can get those, then I think you would have a good shot at elite schools, without them it is a little more random.

As far as recommending other schools, there are some people on here in management that would likely do a better job than me. It really depends on your focus within management and strategy. The best thing for you to do is look at all top 100 business schools, check out their available phd programs. Look at research done by professors there and see what seems interesting to you. Find 15 schools off of this list that you think are interesting and apply to all of them. It is a lot of work, but you will end up with a much better list for you than anyone else here could give you.

Actually, I wasn't just being polite. I'm not in strategy, so I really can't say whether or not you have a good shot at those elite schools. You seem to check all of the boxes that I would expect, but the big kicker for the top tier is often letters from people that the professors there know and respect. If you can get those, then I think you would have a good shot at elite schools, without them it is a little more random.

As far as recommending other schools, there are some people on here in management that would likely do a better job than me. It really depends on your focus within management and strategy. The best thing for you to do is look at all top 100 business schools, check out their available phd programs. Look at research done by professors there and see what seems interesting to you. Find 15 schools off of this list that you think are interesting and apply to all of them. It is a lot of work, but you will end up with a much better list for you than anyone else here could give you.

That sounds like a solid strategy. Thanks.

Hi everyone - what a useful site! (And thanks in advance for your advice.) I'm glad I stumbled across your forum.

I'll open by saying that I expect I am a relatively unusual candidate. I am here to get some insight into whether my unusual profile will really help me or really hurt me.

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GRE - Quant 170 (98%), Verbal 169 (99%), Writing 5.0 (93%)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 during my first half of undergrad ~12 years ago (at a small and well-respected public school), 3.9 during the second half many years later when I returned to school and finished (at a larger and also well-respected private school); degree in Economics with minor in Math

Graduate GPA: n/a

Research Experience: none officially, but I feel like I can make my work experience relevant - I think of myself as a researcher, but in a corporate setting

Teaching Experience: none officially

Work Experience: 7+ years at a well-known S&P 500 firm in a pricing/revenue management/optimization role, with > half that time in a leadership position

Concentration Applying to: either marketing or operations management

Number of programs planned to apply to: 5-7?

Dream Schools: Northwestern, U of Chicago, Michigan, MIT, Stanford

What made you want to pursue a PhD: My job is 80% typical corporate work and 20% fun independent research, but it's all data-related and very quantitative. My data skills are all self taught, and I've dabbled with SQL, R, time series analysis, predictive analytics, and more. I'd love to learn more about these topics in a more rigorous setting and have more time to research "from the other side" my work and my industry.

Concerns you have about your profile: (1) The gap in my educational history, but I think it looks good that I came back and finished very strongly (and good test scores, too). (2) My recommendations - I can probably get one good recommendation from one prof I had recently, but my others would have to be professional (but would be very good). (3) And even though I know I can sell my work experience as "research," I am unsure if admissions committees would see it the same way.

@njp

You have some strong bits on your profile that will help you stand out (ie. your test score). But there are other bits that would be of concern to adcoms.

Your LORs need to be professors (first choice), and in a distant second, people with PhDs (that might "professional" writers)... but letter writers from the first category trump the second category hands down (and if your work writers don't even have PhDs, that's a huge problem). Keep that in mind.

Also, don't try selling work experience as research experience. That never works in marketing. I doubt it would work in OM, but I'll let someone who knows more about OM speak to that.

You should apply to more than 5-7 schools... especially when the 5 "dream schools" you listed are all top ranked programs. It's not easy getting accepted into a top program, and even more risky when you don't have a lot of research experience or 3 academic letter writers.

Also, you have a minor in math, but make sure you've taken all the required/recommended courses (see the econ forum if you need help identifying those) so that you'll be prepared for whatever quant stuff gets thrown your way in the program.

Good luck!

Hello all, appreciate feedback on my profile

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GRE Verbal 165 (95%), Quant 162 (82%), AWA 5.5 (98%)

Undegrad GPA: 3.8, high ranking US University

Graduate GPA: Distinction from high ranking UK University

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: None

Work Experience: >10 years in Strategy & Innovation. No academic research experience, but recent work in innovation has some R&D elements (but not formal R&D)

Concentration Applying to: Management (applying to schools with MPhil entry route rather than PhD direct)

Dream Schools: Oxford/Cambridge

What made you want to pursue a PhD: Interest in pursuing research, corporate world just isn't intellectually stimulating

Concerns you have about your profile:

1. No research experience aside from some coursework for my MSc. My work does have some research and writing elements but nothing that would be considered to be of academic calibre. It is also a bit too late now to gather up some research experience and honestly my work schedule does not permit it either.

2. GRE Quant score slightly low. Unfortunately had problem with timing during the test.

3. With 12 years experience I am a somewhat more mature applicant that usual, would this be looked at negatively?

Any additional specific questions you may have - Would appreciate any advice on how to position my profile strongly. Since I am applying to schools with an MPhil/MRes entry, would that be a slightly easier route?

Thank you.

Hello all, appreciate feedback on my profile

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GRE Verbal 165 (95%), Quant 162 (82%), AWA 5.5 (98%)

Undegrad GPA: 3.8, high ranking US University

Graduate GPA: Distinction from high ranking UK University

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: None

Work Experience: >10 years in Strategy & Innovation. No academic research experience, but recent work in innovation has some R&D elements (but not formal R&D)

Concentration Applying to: Management (applying to schools with MPhil entry route rather than PhD direct)

Dream Schools: Oxford/Cambridge

What made you want to pursue a PhD: Interest in pursuing research, corporate world just isn't intellectually stimulating

Concerns you have about your profile:

1. No research experience aside from some coursework for my MSc. My work does have some research and writing elements but nothing that would be considered to be of academic calibre. It is also a bit too late now to gather up some research experience and honestly my work schedule does not permit it either.

2. GRE Quant score slightly low. Unfortunately had problem with timing during the test.

3. With 12 years experience I am a somewhat more mature applicant that usual, would this be looked at negatively?

Any additional specific questions you may have - Would appreciate any advice on how to position my profile strongly. Since I am applying to schools with an MPhil/MRes entry, would that be a slightly easier route?

Thank you.

The types of programs you want to consider will vary considerably depending on your research interests. Also, I recommend you apply to more than five programs--8 is a good starting point (depending on the relative rank-range you are aiming for, this number will vary). Do you know which aspects of strategy interest you? Microeconomic foundations? Organizational theory? Innovation? Top management teams? etc.?

Addressing your concerns:

(1) No research experience -- at this point, don't fret about this. Consider tailoring your R&D experience + other job duties into a research-related narrative as organically as possible (without it appearing forced). A PhD program will be your indoctrination into academic research, so having publications before entering is not a necessity.

(2) Your quant score may be a negative signal to top-10 institutions, but it should not be a huge issue for most top 25 schools.

(3) In the department I'm at, most students have several years' of work experience, so this is certainly not seen as a negative. Your academic record, letters of recommendations, and general aspects of your application will carry more weight.

-- Try to hone in on which area(s) of strategy interest you, and this will help guide your search. Until these are known, I can't offer the type of actionable advice I'd hope to give you.

The types of programs you want to consider will vary considerably depending on your research interests. Also, I recommend you apply to more than five programs--8 is a good starting point (depending on the relative rank-range you are aiming for, this number will vary). Do you know which aspects of strategy interest you? Microeconomic foundations? Organizational theory? Innovation? Top management teams? etc.?

Addressing your concerns:

(1) No research experience -- at this point, don't fret about this. Consider tailoring your R&D experience + other job duties into a research-related narrative as organically as possible (without it appearing forced). A PhD program will be your indoctrination into academic research, so having publications before entering is not a necessity.

(2) Your quant score may be a negative signal to top-10 institutions, but it should not be a huge issue for most top 25 schools.

(3) In the department I'm at, most students have several years' of work experience, so this is certainly not seen as a negative. Your academic record, letters of recommendations, and general aspects of your application will carry more weight.

-- Try to hone in on which area(s) of strategy interest you, and this will help guide your search. Until these are known, I can't offer the type of actionable advice I'd hope to give you.

@hopeassure, thank you for your feedback, I am relieved to hear your comment on research experience and publications. I will also look into expanding my applications. My only concern with applying to too many schools is the costs of application fees and sending test scores - where I am in the world the USD & GBP exchange rates to my local currency makes it very expensive! With respect to my research, I am interested in business model innovations related to sustainability and technology.

Couple more questions:

- I also forgot to mention another concern, many schools ask for 3 references; however, having been away from school for quite a few years I have only been able to contact 2 professors, and have relied on a former boss to provide the third. Would that severely affect my application too? Assuming of course all the references are good ones!

- Aside from my quant scores, how do my test scores and grades look, particularly for business schools at top-10 universities (in the UK)?

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GMAT : GMAT 680 (Q50, V31) Score Cancelled. As per the new rule of GMAT, the score can be reactivated after a fee of $100

Undegrad GPA: 74% in Civil Engg, India in Top 20 College

Graduate GPA: Converts to 3.01 as per US scale , 5.7/10 as per score-sheet from Indian Institute of Management Lucknow

Research Experience: 1 paper under review, 1 conference presentation, 1 conference Poster presentation at IIM,

Teaching Experience: Guest lecturer for 2 Months at my Civil Engg college

Work Experience: 3 years sales after Grad in India and Nigeria(current)

Concentration Applying to: Consumer Behaviour

Number of programs planned to apply to: 15-20

Dream Schools: Stanford, NC Chapel Hills, Michigan, Yale

My question is:

The verbal section did not go as per my expectations and I cancelled my score. As per the new GMAT rule, one can re-activate the cancelled score again after a payment of $100. Should I go for another attempt or re-activate my score. How bad is 680 (Q50,V31) for a consumer behaviour PhD keeping in mind that I am planning to apply for at least 4 out of T10 schools.

Thanks

My question is:

The verbal section did not go as per my expectations and I cancelled my score. As per the new GMAT rule, one can re-activate the cancelled score again after a payment of $100. Should I go for another attempt or re-activate my score. How bad is 680 (Q50,V31) for a consumer behaviour PhD keeping in mind that I am planning to apply for at least 4 out of T10 schools.

A score lower than 730 will make it hard for you to even be considered for Top 10 schools.

For everywhere else (in the Top 60 and better), a score less than 700 will make it hard for you to be considered as a competitive candidate.

Also, you should make sure your schools are an actual research fit. For example, UNC is a really great school, but not one that does CB, so if you're applying there for CB you're really not going to have much luck.

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): Not taken yet

Undegrad GPA: 3.7

Graduate GPA: N/A

Research Experience: Very Little in the academic world

Teaching Experience: Very little in the academic world

Work Experience: 23 years of senior management in an architectural/engineering firm.

Concentration Applying to: Strategic Management

Number of programs planned to apply to: 4

Dream Schools: UC

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I desire to learn more about business strategy from people who have been trained and educated in the field and not just because the boss likes them.

Concerns you have about your profile: No research or teaching in the academic setting. I have done years of research and teaching but all in the business environment. As an architect we are researching various building codes all the time, but I feel that it probably isn't the same as academic research?

Any additional specific questions you may have - I have heard that there is a possibility that after the first two years of the program there is a possibility that you can gain employment teaching at a University while continuing my research on my dissertation? Is this possible?

Cpaul, your post brings up several points for discussion.

Your GPA is fine, but it is so long ago that it probably won't matter much. Also, the subject matters. Hopefully it was somewhat quantitative, I am guessing it is engineering so that is good.

Concentration Applying to: Strategic Management

Number of programs planned to apply to: 4

Dream Schools: UC

Applying to 4 schools is very, very low for PhD applications. It may be that at this point in your career it is not worth going if you don't go where you want, but you should be aware that 10+ is the norm because acceptance rates are so low and the process is so idiosyncratic. A profile with 20+ years of work experience is even noisier from an academic standpoint and merits even broader applying. Also, while it is reasonable to have some location standards, you have to be flexible in choosing a PhD and where to work afterwards. The end job is great, but it is difficult to limit yourself to 1 city or even a state most of the time.

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I desire to learn more about business strategy from people who have been trained and educated in the field and not just because the boss likes them.[/Quote]

This sounds like a really good reason to do an MBA. Seriously, if you can get the GMAT score to get into any decent strategy PhD then you will almost have your pick of the litter for MBAs. There are good executive and professional MBA programs that may fit you better.

The point of a PhD is to create knowledge in an area using one of several techniques. The idea of spending 5 years learning how to do this and then the rest of your career attempting it should sound somewhat appealing to you at this point.

As an architect we are researching various building codes all the time, but I feel that it probably isn't the same as academic research?[/Quote] This doesn't sound like academic research, but it may be able to contribute in some way. I am in accounting, so I am envisioning this like looking up accounting standards and applying them. Changes in standards are great ways to answer broader questions, but seeing what the current standard is is not academic research.

I have heard that there is a possibility that after the first two years of the program there is a possibility that you can gain employment teaching at a University while continuing my research on my dissertation? Is this possible?
What is the purpose of this? Do you want extra money while completing your dissertation? Do you love teaching and want to get to it quickly? A lot of schools have you teach during the program and some provide extra support for it. I would not recommend teaching as an adjunct at another school while doing your dissertation. It will make things way harder on you. You will probably take longer to graduate and likely land a lower job when you do. Meaning it isn't a positive NPV decision anyway.

A score lower than 730 will make it hard for you to even be considered for Top 10 schools.

For everywhere else (in the Top 60 and better), a score less than 700 will make it hard for you to be considered as a competitive candidate.

Also, you should make sure your schools are an actual research fit. For example, UNC is a really great school, but not one that does CB, so if you're applying there for CB you're really not going to have much luck.

I agree 100% with this. Just to reaffirm that you'll need to retake the GMAT if you are interested in top 10 or bust. I'm a bit surprised by the fact that you have a paper under review, but if it's at a good journal you could have a shot at a top school if you get that GMAT up. Good luck!

One more quick thing, make sure you are picking schools based on research interest, not just name. We get a lot of people who only apply to top schools because they are top schools. A lot of those people don't get into any programs.

Cpaul, I'm going to mostly side with Yaz on their points. It looks like you have a solid MBA profile, but we certainly do not want to push you in that direction if you aren't interested in it.

First, let me somewhat agree with Yaz on the number of schools you are applying to. 4 is low, extremely low, and even with a perfect profile fit, there is a high chance you won't get into any of them. That being said with 20+ years of experience I assume you are an older candidate. There's nothing wrong with this, but you'll just need to be selective about which programs you apply to. There are a lot of great programs who are interested in older candidates, if you do a search for that on here you'll find some great posts on the subject. So while most students might apply to 20ish schools, you might only find 10 that fit your needs. The more the better (to a point). That said if you are only interested in these 4 schools, then apply only to them and if you don't get in and are OK with that, then it's cool.

Yeah some schools (very few) will allow you to teach at another school (i.e. community college). No school will encourage this activity. It will certainly increase the amount of time you’ll take to finish your degree. It will also not be particularly helpful. The limited extra money you make won’t really help that much, specifically when you could be finishing sooner. If you are interested in teaching, no program is going to tell you that you can’t pick up a few classes at that institution. Schools are always looking for cheap labor (which is what you would be).

If your end goal is to return to industry, then I suggest you follow Yaz’s advice. If your end goal is to teach, I would suggest getting an MBA and that will provide you with the tools needed to become a lecturer. If your end goal is to be a researcher, then I suggest you do just what you are planning and get a PhD.

I hope that advice helps some. I really don’t mean to discourage you from getting a PhD, I just want to let you know your options.

I agree 100% with this. Just to reaffirm that you'll need to retake the GMAT if you are interested in top 10 or bust. I'm a bit surprised by the fact that you have a paper under review, but if it's at a good journal you could have a shot at a top school if you get that GMAT up. Good luck!

One more quick thing, make sure you are picking schools based on research interest, not just name. We get a lot of people who only apply to top schools because they are top schools. A lot of those people don't get into any programs.

Thanks XanthuARES !

I have scheduled my second GMAT attempt in first week of November now, and I hope to better my score this time, at least 730.

The following is my research exp. with some more details. I would request you to have a look once again and suggest my chances in T10 assuming I score 730 in the next attempt.

1. A research paper under review in The Journal of Indian Business Research, C ranked in ABDC listing and I am the third author.

2. A conference presentation organised by Australian & New Zealand Assoc. of Marketing (ANZAM) and I am the second author.

3. A poster presentation in an international marketing conference organised by IIM Lucknow, and I am the first author.

4. Two months RA exp. in 2012 under a marketing Prof from IIM.

My LORs will come from 3 profs from IIMs.

I would be applying for around 20 schools in T50. I understand that the results of the admission game is quite unpredictable and they may vary for different candidates. I just need to understand that if my profile if competitive enough for T20. With that knowledge, I would be in a better position to give the amount of time and effort needed for these schools.

Thanks.

I would suggest that you apply to schools below T50 as well as schools in Europe, Canada, and Asia (SG/HK). You can make a decision on accepting an admit from these places once you get an admit.

I saw your earlier post as well. Your profile is good but your grad GPA and GMAT scores are problematic. At the same time, the journal you are sending your paper to doesn't figure anywhere in the minds of the various adcoms. But yes, you have some research experience. Whether that is enough for a T20 admit, I don't know.

Also, I think you are making the mistake of selecting schools by brand name. Please don't do that. Although there is a correlation between brand name and quality, in PhD, what matters more is whether you publish in the top journals of the field. The Consumer Behavior academic job market is especially competitive and by the time you graduate, I think more than 1 publication in a top psych or marketing journal will be the norm. When choosing schools, see if the departments have enough research active faculty members who publish in CB and psych journals (even if they are young asst profs). Their and your focus on getting more papers will be aligned and you will hopefully be more productive. Also many top departments admit a relatively large cohort initially but taper down the number during the comprehensive exams at the end of 2 years. You should keep that in mind as well.

Thanks XanthuARES !

I have scheduled my second GMAT attempt in first week of November now, and I hope to better my score this time, at least 730.

The following is my research exp. with some more details. I would request you to have a look once again and suggest my chances in T10 assuming I score 730 in the next attempt.

1. A research paper under review in The Journal of Indian Business Research, C ranked in ABDC listing and I am the third author.

2. A conference presentation organised by Australian & New Zealand Assoc. of Marketing (ANZAM) and I am the second author.

3. A poster presentation in an international marketing conference organised by IIM Lucknow, and I am the first author.

4. Two months RA exp. in 2012 under a marketing Prof from IIM.

My LORs will come from 3 profs from IIMs.

I would be applying for around 20 schools in T50. I understand that the results of the admission game is quite unpredictable and they may vary for different candidates. I just need to understand that if my profile if competitive enough for T20. With that knowledge, I would be in a better position to give the amount of time and effort needed for these schools.

Thanks.

Hey y'all, appreciate any feedback. Mostly looking to try and identify a good set of schools to apply to

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GRE 170V (99%), 167Q (94%), 5.5 AWR (98%)

Undegrad GPA: 3.7, top 50 US school. Think U Maryland, Miami, Syracuse. In that family. Studied economics and IR, but with a notable lack of quantitative courses. Took prob and stats at a local college this summer to alleviate that and got an A

Graduate GPA: N/A

Research Experience: One year RA for an economics/international relations professor. Senior thesis regarding the impact of migrations on firm production patterns that was eventually published in an undergrad econ journal at an ivy. Paper was pretty non-technical and I think may have actually resembled political science more than anything

Teaching Experience: Not much. Volunteer tutor for SATs in a college readiness program

Work Experience: 1.5 years at a bulge bracket investment bank. Did a little work adapting firm businesses to emerging market regulators

Concentration Applying to: Management/OB. Would like to focus on macro OB. I'd like to study the effects of macro ob that have to do with cross cultural borders and boundaries, with a little organizational ecology. Such as, how organizations change by becoming more diverse, and how culture diffuses through organizations through rituals or other ways. I think this could be interestingly tied into how firms interact with one another and survive and adapt in a globalizing environment. Maybe tie in my economics background by suggesting that economic activity is embedded in culture and how people behave within an organization. I'm very self-conscious that this will sound like word vomit in a personal statement.

Number of programs planned to apply to: 15-20?

Dream Schools: NYU, Columbia, MIT, BC, Cornell, Yale. Will like apply heavily in the T25, with a couple T10 and a couple T50

What made you want to pursue a PhD: I was always one of those weird kids that loved going to class, then I did the RA ship and realized I could keep that feeling for the rest of my life. I gave the private sector a shot but now I know academia is for me. I love learning about new things and the idea of generating knowledge and becoming an expert in a really specific thing would jazz me up. I also love the idea of teaching/advising and all the other stuff that goes along with being a professor. I think its a really cool way to improve the world.

Concerns you have about your profile: Lack of quantitative course work (hoping GRE/summer course negate this), generally vague and muddled research goals. I'm a pretty blank slate given that I don't have a ton of research experience. Recs are from aforementioned research assistantship and two other professors from which I did well in their course. All three have econ phds, so I'm a little worried about the lack of diversity there

Any additional specific questions you may have - Mostly looking for advice on how in depth ones research ideas should be when they're recently removed from undergrad, as well as a little advice on if the "dream schools" are specific, and if not, what range to shoot for

Hey y'all, appreciate any feedback. Mostly looking to try and identify a good set of schools to apply to

Concentration Applying to: Management/OB. Would like to focus on macro OB. I'd like to study the effects of macro ob that have to do with cross cultural borders and boundaries, with a little organizational ecology. Such as, how organizations change by becoming more diverse, and how culture diffuses through organizations through rituals or other ways. I think this could be interestingly tied into how firms interact with one another and survive and adapt in a globalizing environment. Maybe tie in my economics background by suggesting that economic activity is embedded in culture and how people behave within an organization. I'm very self-conscious that this will sound like word vomit in a personal statement.

Number of programs planned to apply to: 15-20?

Dream Schools: NYU, Columbia, MIT, BC, Cornell, Yale. Will like apply heavily in the T25, with a couple T10 and a couple T50

Applying broadly will help. If you browse the forum, most advice is rather generic for schools... (1) select an initial pool of schools broadly, (2) consider the faculty at each institution and if there are enough that can help motivate your own research.

As for your 'vomit of words' about your own research interests... it's still fairly broad.... I'm not really sure what "macro OB" is.... but it sounds like you are talking generally more Org Theory type ideas, which would help to reduce your target schools as well. A key for both the program and yourself is a "fit", in the sense that you feel that you would find what you want there, and that the school would find you as an individual that could successfully complete and represent the institution.

Best of luck.

I will agree with tm on this one. Your profile seems pretty good and if you apply across a wide range (as you have suggested you are going to) I think that you'll do fine. Nothing about your profile screams T10, but I could see you in a T30 program.

All of that with the huge caveat that I don't know that much, or anything about OB. I vaguely recall thinking it's a little more psychy, so your limited quantitative background won't kill your application.