Urch Forums

2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

zanelabw

Sure, totally understandable. I'm just imagining if it's Jan 15, some application deadlines haven't even passed yet, and you have to make a decision already. Obviously not an issue for me, but it seems like it would be a tight spot to be in.

The thing about these are that they are an unofficial official offer. Basically you have a seat at the table if you want it. However they aren't going to make you make a decision about it until April 15 (for most schools). You should make a decision as soon as you feel comfortable, but also make a decision that is right for you. What this means is that the school is basically saving themselves from the official paperwork until you have made a decision. At that point they'll do the bureaucratic nonsense necessary to get you into the program. If a school makes you make a decision before then, calmly let them know that you would like to wait and see. There are posts about how to do that on here.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about these are that they are an unofficial official offer. Basically you have a seat at the table if you want it. However they aren't going to make you make a decision about it until April 15 (for most schools). You should make a decision as soon as you feel comfortable, but also make a decision that is right for you. What this means is that the school is basically saving themselves from the official paperwork until you have made a decision. At that point they'll do the bureaucratic nonsense necessary to get you into the program. If a school makes you make a decision before then, calmly let them know that you would like to wait and see. There are posts about how to do that on here.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I am ever so slowly making my way through the mountains of extremely helpful background information throughout the forum:) It's a bit addictive.

Based on what I have read, I think this year there have been early interviews, some even before Christmas. I guess, this could be to do with high quantity and quality applications, and probably the schools are looking to secure candidates early.

Personally, I think there would be more competition in the UK schools this year. Due to the UK/EU situation, the fee structure for EU students may change later. Similar to in-state and out-of-state for the US schools. Though most universities have announced that the fee structure will remain the same for 2017-2018 academic year. This could prompt more applications to avoid paying higher fees. Not sure whether it would affect PhD applications, given they are fully funded. But, most PhD programs here start with MRes or MPhil, so it could lead to more applications.

There are too many ifs and buts in this process, so the joy of getting accepted at a school of our choice will be much more sweeter if there is more competition this year.

I did some research using thegradcafe's data. Searching for the words "business" and "management", I found interviews for PhD starting from 2010.

From a total of 171 interviews:

- 3 were in the month of December;

- 2 were in January between 1st and 15th;

- 52 were in January between 16th and 31st;

- 99 were in February;

- 11 were in March;

- 4 were in April.

It may not be a very scientific research, but I guess we can conclude the hot season for PhD interviews is just starting.

When searching for applicants who were "accepted" instead of interviewed, it seems offers are usually made in February and March (100 and 74 "accepted" results, respectively, from a total of 199).

I guess, this could be to do with high quantity and quality applications, and probably the schools are looking to secure candidates early.

According to a survey from the Council of Graduate Schools, at least in the US applications for admission to business doctoral programs decreased by 3.4% yearly on average from 2010 to 2015. So, even if applications increased this year, it would probably be less than the quantity they received some year ago.

And for Economics PhD, I've seen people complaining about the shortage of amazing candidates while reviewing PhD applications, and commenting on the Trump effect (with less international applicants).

With fewer amazing people applying, it would make a lot of sense to try to secure those few amazing ones. But in the end we can only guess what is really happening.

That is a fantastic post, and consistent with the interviews I've had.

I would always be interested in hearing more questions we should ask; I've seen some great ones posted throughout forums.

I would add to be prepared to address any weaknesses in your application and how you are addressing.

I, personally, have seen a fair amount of questions trying to understand my decision-making rationale (why I chose x y z, why I attended abc), etc. As a more experienced applicant, I also get a fair amount of questions trying to measure my understanding of what research truly entails, and how I gained that understanding.

Great post on interviews from XanthusAres. Like the tip on celebrating small victories. Could get through 10 tubs of Haagen Dazs by April 😀

I am compiling a list of school specific questions, whenever I get time. Should help when those interviews start (looks like a long way away now, but got to be positive).

One tip I received from a good friend is that even if you think a school is a stretch, don't let it show in the interview. Top 5 or top 100, every school is the same. It is all about whether we will be happy to do research there and work with the professors and fellow students. He made that mistake, didn't expect to be interviewed there, and that showed in the interview performance.

Don't want to over rehearse and sound like I am on auto pilot, but I will definitely try mock interviews before actual ones.

@Dak061 Did the interviews touch upon the change of lifestyle? Especially for applicants moving from corporate jobs to a student lifestyle.

I haven't been asked lifestyle questions at all. It was the standard questions:

Why a Ph.D.?

why now?

why our program?

but there seemed to be a high focus on these. For example, it would not only be why a Ph.D, but really digging more into why I didn't elect to pursue it before (not in a negative way, but really just exploring the path that brought me here). Why didn't I elect to pursue XYZ, etc. sorry, it's hard to explain without getting into personally identifying details. I guess I would say that from the number of fairly detailed ollow up questions, this was certainly an area of interest.

hope that helps? If not, PM me.

Please forgive typos- and grammatical errors. answering from my phone :)

Some of these programs are really flying this year. Booth and UCLA already show acceptances on gradcafe.

Hi there

Would you be able to share the link on grad cafe where you are getting this info? I can't seem to find it. Not sure if there is a specific results page just for PhD Business. Anyhow, wouldn't hurt to post it on here so people can access

Hi there

Would you be able to share the link on grad cafe where you are getting this info? I can't seem to find it. Not sure if there is a specific results page just for PhD Business. Anyhow, wouldn't hurt to post it on here so people can access

Grad School Admissions Results for 2006–2016 • thegradcafe.com

But it's not specific for PhD or business.

Thanks, yes even I am expecting in those lines. Especially, why now? My research interests are specific and topical. Probably, that would help explaining.

Tried to explain through my story in SOP/Personal Statement, but probably not everyone would go through them in detail. So, would reiterate during the interviews.

I haven't been asked lifestyle questions at all. It was the standard questions:

Why a Ph.D.?

why now?

why our program?

but there seemed to be a high focus on these. For example, it would not only be why a Ph.D, but really digging more into why I didn't elect to pursue it before (not in a negative way, but really just exploring the path that brought me here). Why didn't I elect to pursue XYZ, etc. sorry, it's hard to explain without getting into personally identifying details. I guess I would say that from the number of fairly detailed ollow up questions, this was certainly an area of interest.

hope that helps? If not, PM me.

Please forgive typos- and grammatical errors. answering from my phone :)

does this advice cover finance interviews as well? as strange as it may sound, I haven't heard of finance professors asking about school fit...

Well, my Masters was in Finance. I think fit is still important, but maybe it's easier to get that in Finance than in Marketing, for example. Almost everyone in my class did some research about capital market, like assets valuation and investment portfolio. So, it was easy for them to find some professor who knew about that kind of thing. I think fit will be a bigger issue if your research interests are really something very different, but that's not the case for most applicants. When I interviewed for my masters, they were basically interested in knowing if I was more into capital market or corporate finance. That was enough to see if I would fit.

Marketing, on the other hand, is a much more diverse field. I'm interested in researching about marketing metrics, specially those related to financial performance (customer profitability, customer lifetime value etc.). It's not so easy to find Marketing professors who research that.

I know PhD is different, and I'm simplifying things. But I think different fields will give different weights to questions. Questions about math background may carry a greater weigh for Finance, than for Marketing, for example.

I think I have mentioned before that I will visit a campus next week and have several interviews there with faculty.

Today they sent me the schedule for that day. :fox:

WOW! I will be talking to 8 different professors (including several assistant professors) individually and have lunch with other PhD student.

Wow. I am so excited all of a sudden. It feels so real.

I guess I should start looking up all these people on that list and search the forum for interview tips.

I thought the phone interview I had with one of them in December went well.... but this visit feels like I will be grilled.

Okay, I am honestly excited now. :victorious:

I think I have mentioned before that I will visit a campus next week and have several interviews there with faculty.

WOW! I will be talking to 8 different professors (including several assistant professors) individually and have lunch with other PhD student.

I guess I should start looking up all these people on that list and search the forum for interview tips.

I thought the phone interview I had with one of them in December went well.... but this visit feels like I will be grilled.

Wow!!!!

If you mentioned it before, I overlooked it. Congratulations!!!! That sounds like a very busy day! I don't think you'll be grilled, but what do I know, haha... No campus visits here :sorrow: (YET, I mean.... No campus visits YET!). Eight people should give you some fun research to do =D. Definitely search the forums - I haven't specifically searched, but some of the tips I encountered are fairly obvious - read a few papers from each, be able to discuss (ask about) their research, blah blah blah. It will be good to get your insight once you rock (!) the visit.

GOOD LUCK!!! (I'm sure you'll do great)! Please let us know how it goes!

I feel some relief. Three of my applications didn't receive a 3rd LOR. One was the program I had the phone interview with 2 weeks ago, and I just saw the status for another program is "out for decision," and that the missing letter was "waived" until a decision is made. I was worried whether the programs would still view my application, and so far it seems most will. I can't tell with the third one.

Good luck Silviatx! Sounds like a great opportunity to learn a lot about their program.

Big congraduations! Good luck!

Hi guys,

I am applying to the accounting PhD program this year, and today my first interview is scheduled. This is kinda scary but at the same time super exciting! Although I still do not know what the future holds for me, I just wanted to thank those Urchians who helped me through this application process. I benefited tremendously from their help. Thank you guys!

Congratulations, I guess campus visit is a convincing opportunity for the school as well to get you to join when they make an offer. Keep us posted of any tips.

Are all eight professors from the same department and with similar research interests? Or, is it just a standard practice for schools to arrange interviews with a large panel.

@Poblenour

Yes, they are all from the same department. To be honest, I have not looked up their research interests yet. When I wrote my SOP I only looked at their Associate and full professors so these other people on the panel are new to me right now.

By the way these are all individual interviews (THANK GOD!) not all people at the same time. I think I can do much better at meeting and talking one on one.

So I really don't know what is considered "normal" at such interviews.

Hi guys,

I am applying to the accounting PhD program this year, and today my first interview is scheduled. This is kinda scary but at the same time super exciting! Although I still do not know what the future holds for me, I just wanted to thank those Urchians who helped me through this application process. I benefited tremendously from their help. Thank you guys!

Congrats and good luck!