Urch Forums

Int'l student, where to take masters?

jongrud

That's precisely the point that we're making... Someone preparing for a PhD should not apply to such a programme. Hence, why European masters programmes are much better since the ones listed here are specifically geared towards students preparing for a PhD.

OK. I would say, as Asians like us, who did our undergraduate studies outside the US, we really don't know there are many econ master programs in universities ranking after 50 (econ). That's because when we seek for information, we ask our peers, we refer to some forums, and what we get is we may apply to programs at Duke, Wisconsin, Boston, UT-Austin, Penn State, Chicago MAXSS, MARCM, Cornell AEM, Tufts, and some others. We would generally only apply (some of) these programs if we wanna pursue a PhD later. We just don't know there are numerous other terminal MS programs, industry-oriented maybe. (No offense) Most of these (I believe?) provide access to PhD sequences. Many foreigners, like us, are lack of information that there are many many MS programs in other schools.

I just do not see any marginal chance enhancement in terms of getting accepted from US top 20 schools. if there was a marginal increase in probability to get into those schools, I would have mentioned. I suggest you should look into those European schools' placement records and make up your own mind.

OK. I would say, as Asians like us, who did our undergraduate studies outside the US, we really don't know there are many econ master programs in universities ranking after 50 (econ). That's because when we seek for information, we ask our peers, we refer to some forums, and what we get is we may apply to programs at Duke, Wisconsin, Boston, UT-Austin, Penn State, Chicago MAXSS, MARCM, Cornell AEM, Tufts, and some others. We would generally only apply (some of) these programs if we wanna pursue a PhD later. We just don't know there are numerous other terminal MS programs, industry-oriented maybe. (No offense) Most of these (I believe?) provide access to PhD sequences. Many foreigners, like us, are lack of information that there are many many MS programs in other schools.

Does Cornell AEM MS have solid PhD placements? I keep hearing that masters in "applied economics" aren't useful for applying to PhDs.

Also what do you mean by Chicago MAXSS and MARCM?