Urch Forums

SOP and LOR for reapplication after leaving program

TaxGal

Been awhile since I've been here, but I had amazingly got admittance and joined a PHD a few year back. Unfortunately I left after a year due to many issues including family illness but also issues with some faculty and having my desired research area changed. While I was excited and loved the program I was not fully prepared for what it entailed and when I started getting pushed into a different research area I wasn't in a position to fight or adapt so I left. I did not get close to any professors while there or keep in touch with them sadly since I was so stressed. Quitting the program was ultimately for the best since I was able to help care for my guardian and be with them when they passed 8 months after I left but going back has been on my mind ever since,

I want to reapply and try again for a PhD but I'm not sure how to handle the fact that I left one already and also how to get new LORs. I had already struggled the first time and now I'm almost 10 years out of undergrad. I was wondering if I can ask my previous recommenders to be one again or if it would be weird. Also how do I address my leaving in my SOP and is it bad I don't have a rec from my prior program.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I don't get on here often anymore. I remember you from a few years ago. What you are describing isn't uncommon. Life happens, and it's hard to know everything that a Ph.D. entails going into it.

Previous recommenders are fine. A more recent professional reference would be okay. Getting a letter from your first program could help a lot. Schools will be interested in what happened, and assurance from someone at that program could go a long way.

Your personal statement will probably be much better at this point too. You know what you are getting into and still want to do it.

You can message me if you'd like.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 3:16 PM, TaxGal said:

Been awhile since I've been here, but I had amazingly got admittance and joined a PHD a few year back. Unfortunately I left after a year due to many issues including family illness but also issues with some faculty and having my desired research area changed. While I was excited and loved the program I was not fully prepared for what it entailed and when I started getting pushed into a different research area I wasn't in a position to fight or adapt so I left. I did not get close to any professors while there or keep in touch with them sadly since I was so stressed. Quitting the program was ultimately for the best since I was able to help care for my guardian and be with them when they passed 8 months after I left but going back has been on my mind ever since,

I want to reapply and try again for a PhD but I'm not sure how to handle the fact that I left one already and also how to get new LORs. I had already struggled the first time and now I'm almost 10 years out of undergrad. I was wondering if I can ask my previous recommenders to be one again or if it would be weird. Also how do I address my leaving in my SOP and is it bad I don't have a rec from my prior program.

Your situation is not that hard. You showed character and honor by caring for your loved one before he/she passed. Some people on any admissions committee would value this and yes, it is not a bad reason to leave a PhD. If you have coursework passed in the previous PhD, then yes you have leverage in putting together something even if you don't get a letter. The only problem is if courses didn't go well. Then schools will automatically conclude that this is why you ran away from the program.

PM me if you don't mind. I like your story and think we can arrange ideas together to help you, if you really want to return to a PhD. If in doubt of returning, then perhaps it's better to pursue the other sure interests

• Like 1