Urch Forums

Chemistry people: Is the anybody out there ?

Well, good luck.

The university wants them for you. DO it and I'm sure you'll do well.

Obviously, a nice verbal grade and the q-thing would stand out. Your CV is fine so, I think you are no longer 50/50 but 65/35.

would it be great if we both end up there?

Hi!

I just think that requirement for TOEFL is just stupid in this case (AFTER your already passed it (to go for MS), get a degree in US, published papers in English, taught students in English and so on). I don't like to work with stupid people. Also, I'm a greedy person - 120+$ is big money for me and I don't want to spend them only for TAMU application (no other school from my list asks for this). At last, I work in the lab (as any grad student does) - 10-12 hours per day. I don't have a lot of extra time to thrash for such exciting activity as a TOEFL exam.

This is my arrogant point of view :D

• 6 months later...

I am not a Chemistry major however I find myself very compatible to any graduate level science/engineering/math etc related level :]

Your research background definitely weights a lot (2 journal papers .. heck it probaly takes a tenured professor years to get a journal paper :]) . Don't worry about GPA, big schools don't care about it ... smaller ones will though :]

Best of luck

I am not a Chemistry major however I find myself very compatible to any graduate level science/engineering/math etc related level :]

Your research background definitely weights a lot (2 journal papers .. heck it probaly takes a tenured professor years to get a journal paper :]) . Don't worry about GPA, big schools don't care about it ... smaller ones will though :]

Best of luck

Hi Tvn,

Thanks for your input :)

Actually, good profs can make tenth of papers per year (if they have 20-30 people research groups :^) ).

For example, my co-worker and co-drinker has published about 13 papers in high impact journals (i.f. = 3-6) during his PhD ;)

Good luck to you also :tup:

• 9 months later...

Finally I've found a chemistry thread!

My applications:

MIT Chemistry, rejected

Caltech Biochemistry, rejected

Harvard Systems Biology, interviewed and rejected

Yale Chemistry, admitted with 26k

Oxford Medicinal Chemistry (MSc+PhD), admitted with 31k :grad: ; I'm going there!!!

Some stats:

GRE chemistry: 950 (99%)

GRE general: V600, Q800, AWA 6.0

TOEFL iBT: 114/120

GPA 4.00, unknown university

Significant achievements at nat.&intl. chemistry competitions, minimal research experience, no publications

Would be nice to hear from some other chemistry people (apps, profiles...)!

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get a publication? Any suggestions on how to best spend the summer before my MSc course?

• 2 weeks later...

List of Uni I have applied for ph.d chemistry.

Dear Friends,

I have been looking for chemistry thread as I could not find many people in this stream here. Finally found it.

I have applied for following universities for ph.d Organic chemistry.My GRE Score is 1110. and Toefl 83.GPA 3.5. I have about 4 yrs of Pharmaceutical industry experience.

University of Florida --rejected.

Uni of Southern Methodist.---in wating list

Uni of LSU---rejected.

My profile is under under review in following uni.

Uni of Alabama

Vanderbilt University.

University of Rhoda Islands.

Uni of New Orleans.

Kansas State University.

Mississippi State University.

Florida A & M University.

Southern Illionois University.

Univ of Georgia.

Uni. Maryland College Park.

Are those 3 universities top universities? and what about the ranking of the remaining universites and what are my chances of admission in any of the uni.

Please tell me know if anybody have any idea about these or anybody applied for these already?

Thanks alot.

Disha.

Dear Friends,

I have been looking for chemistry thread as I could not find many people in this stream here. Finally found it.

I have applied for following universities for ph.d Organic chemistry.My GRE Score is 1110. and Toefl 83.GPA 3.5. I have about 4 yrs of Pharmaceutical industry experience.

Uni of LSU---rejected.

Uni of Alabama

Vanderbilt University.

Uni of New Orleans.

Kansas State University.

Univ of Georgia.

Are those 3 universities top universities? and what about the ranking of the remaining universites and what are my chances of admission in any of the uni.

Please tell me know if anybody have any idea about these or anybody applied for these already?

Thanks alot.

Disha.

Dear Friends,

Uni of LSU---rejected.

Uni of Alabama

Vanderbilt University.

Uni of New Orleans.

Kansas State University.

Univ of Georgia.

Thanks alot.

Disha.

• 3 years later...