Urch Forums

Can current grad students give cost of living numbers?

dafrk3in

• 2 weeks later...

Living in DC CAN be expensive if you're picky. But it's also possible to live pretty cheaply.

I work down by GW, but I don't live anywhere near there. I pay about $900 for a studio, but that's because I have a job. You can easily get a room in a house in my neighborhood for $550 (I live in the Mt. Pleasant/Columbia Heights/Adams Morgan area). You could live in Cleveland Park (think: safe, but boring suburb-like neighborhood) in a nice house with a backyard for $675. The craigslist network is pretty active in DC, so that's probably your best bet for finding good cheap housing.

I will say this though: it'll be hard to find a house here if you don't live here already. That's because group houses will want you to come and interview, and if they pick you, they'll want you to move in two weeks later. I would strongly recommend that you think about subleting a place for a month. I did that when I first moved to the city. If you're only staying for a month, people may be willing to let you move in even though they can't meet you in person. That month in the city will allow you to interview at houses for a more permenant location, and after living here a little while, you'll have a much better idea about what parts of the city you'd like to live in.

p.s. I LOVE my neighborhood. Mt. Pleasant is relatively cheap while still being pretty safe and it has a real neighborhood feel. The bartenders know your name, and all that. It's a little far from the Metro (subway), but after living in DC for almost two years, I much prefer the bus anyway. There's a farmers market on Saturdays, and it's right near Rock Creek Park. It's a great place to live in DC!

• Like 1