Urch Forums

Profiles and Results Part 2 (Non Top 50 Programs)

YoungEconomist

School: UW-Milwaukee

Major: Economics/Math Minor

GPA: 3.37 (3.6 Econ) (3.6 Math)(3.6, 3.75, 3.8, 3.8 The last 4 semesters)

GRE: 770q 460v 4AWA

Tofel: I am an American but my verbal suggests otherwise...

Courses:

301 Int. Micro B

302 Int. Macro A

325 Money B

353 Devlop A

413 Stats B

351 Intro Int A

447 Labor A

513 Econometrics B

454 Trade A

404 Game Theory B

506 Math Econ A-

Spring: Math Econ II

Math:

Non-math major Calc A

Calc I B

Calc II A

Math Proofs B+

Spring: Calc III, Algebra , Theory of Interest , Axiomatic Geo

Research: Working on undergrad research this semester...nothing special.

LOR: 1 should be stellar Associate prof. tenured, 2 others pretty good tenured.

Interests: Labor/Intl.

Schools Fall 08 Ph.D.:

Ohio State

Texas A&M

U of Iowa

Vanderbilt

NC State

Penn State

U of Mass

ASU

FSU

Iowa State

U of Houston

U of Virginia

U of Arizona

Rice

U of Kentucky

U CO Boulder

U of Tenn

U of Connecticut

VTech

Purdue

Oregon

U of Georgia

U of Indiana Bloomington

Michigan Ann Arbor

Michigan State

I am not taking any chances...

Spring 07 Ph.D.:

UW-Milwaukee - Admit to M.A. No funding

My Concerns:

Not Enough Math(will go another year of UG if things don't work)

Starting a marriage, new life, and new school at the same time

The level of difficulty

Goals: Tenure track at a Ph.D. Granting research institution. To live comfortably(upper middle), like my job, and be able to spend ample time with my family.

Hi I'm currently in the process of applying to some grad schools but here is my profile:

Type of Undergrad: first degree from medium sized state university B.A. in psychology. currently finishing my bachelor's in econ from a small liberal arts school.

Undergrad GPA: under 2.5 in my first program (terrible first couple of years then gave up. 3.6 since starting my second degree with a 3.6 econ and 4.0 math

GRE: 690 V, 790 Q, 3.5 aw (didn't really try on the writing)

Math Courses: thus far only Calc 1 (A) although we went through most of the intergral stuff. planning on taking linear algebra before starting grad school in fall of 08

Econ Courses: int. micro (A-), econometrics (A-), international (A-), enviromental (B), and other odds and ends.

Letters of Recommendation: should be pretty decent

Research Experience: very little

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: Labor, Financial, Behavioral, and Public Finance

The list I've applied to as of now:

Clemson (phd) been accepted and offered assistantship and am being nominated for a fellowship

Virginia Tech (phd)

University of Tennessee (phd) ( one of my recomenders got their phd there)

University of Deleware (ma because they require that before admitting into the phd)

UNCG (ma/phd) doubt i'll get in since thats where I had my bad years in UG

William and Mary (mpp)

Middle Tennessee State (phd)

Old Dominion (ma)

I had to limit my areas of applying because I'm married and she is only willing to go certian places

anyone who attends any of these places can you offer me advice?

thanks

actually i had filled out their informal application and the director mailed me back asking about my maths then after i told him a couple of weeks later he emailed me asking if i could send him unofficial copies of my transcripts so i emailed him those (copy paste) then a couple of weeks later he asked for some references and after he heard from them he told me i'm in with 15k assistanship (although he hasn't gotten the official letter to me the school has notified me of admission)

actually i had filled out their informal application and the director mailed me back asking about my maths then after i told him a couple of weeks later he emailed me asking if i could send him unofficial copies of my transcripts so i emailed him those (copy paste) then a couple of weeks later he asked for some references and after he heard from them he told me i'm in with 15k assistanship (although he hasn't gotten the official letter to me the school has notified me of admission)

Will they call even international applicants? Or is it just for domestic ones?

well we haven't called on the phone it's been through email thus far. as far as i know you can fill out the informal app and go through that process too. just go to the economics department website and click on the graduate program and you'll see a link to the informal app. I love that they have that i wish more schools did it would definetly keep costs down.lol

• 2 years later...
I posted in the other thread, but here it goes again.....

Gre: 700 Q, 500 V

Type of Undergrad: Small California State Univ...( We only had 3 full time profs)

GPA: Overall: 3.1, Econ: 3.8, Math: 3.2

Classes:

Math: (Weakest area)Calc I,II,Stats I,II

Econ: Intro Micro,Intro Macro, Inter Macro,Inter Micro, Eco. of Sustainable Society, Money & Banking, Econ. History

Research Experience: Researched Carbon Markets and the California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 for an Environmental Research Center

Teaching Experience: Tutored Intermediate Macro & Micro and TA´d for Intro Economics & Intermediate Micro

LORs: One from Full time prof ( Texas A&M), One from a lecturer that is the executive director of environmental research center ( Oregon) and the last one from a Business Prof ( Wisconsin) who is the director of our MBA program

SoP & Interests: Talked about my interest in research, and my particular interest in labor and environmental economics.

Other: American citizen

Admissions Decisions

New Mexico-Accepted PhD w/ fellowship 24k/yr plus health insurance

CUNY-Never heard back ???

UNLV- Accepted MA

SDSU- Accepted MA

CSUFullerton-Accepted MA

NMSU-Accepted MA

What i learned

I would take more math or wait a year and apply to more Phd programs and skip the MA programs. My lack of math prevented me from applying to more doctoral programs. In the end im happy, i know unm is not highly ranked but ive visited the school, as well as some of the people there and im really happy.

OMGosh I'm in a small California State Uni too our Econ Department is skin and bones!