Urch Forums

150 Because of television and worldwide computer connections

Erin

• 1 month later...

150 Because of television and worldwide computer connections, people can now become familiar with a great many places that they have never visited. As a result, tourism will soon become obsolete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, guys, plz evaluate my essay on this topic, this is my first try here:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Admittedly, television and internet, one is the most powerful media while the other is the most advanced communication tool

of this century, have significantly broadened our scope of the world. We can appreciate lots of the world's most beautiful

sights by watching television and even watch the live broadcast of exploring the mysterious tropical jungle. At the same

time, we can get to know a place we have never been through online talking with the people living there. However, what we can

get from television and internet would not cause tourism to become obsolete. On the contrary, such presentation of the world

can largely promote the world's tourism.

Although people can become familiar with many a places through television and internet, they see through the camera but not

through their own eyes, which serve to reflect a more vivid and interesting scene. Pastime as it is, taking part in the

discussion on the Traveling Board, which is one of the most popular boards on the BBS (Bulletin Board System) of the

university where I study in, is my favorite. There are many students there talking about travel and beautiful places of our

country with a vast territory. Most of us have expressed strong desire to see those places with our own eyes only if we can

afford the fee for traveling, though we may well know these places through television and computer connections. After all,

you cannot experience the excitation of seeing in your own eyes and even touching with your own hands by resorting to

television or internet. What is more, it is impossible for two different people to have the same impression and appreciation

over the same touring sites, thus what you can get through television or internet is the perspective and view of others but

not yours. Only if you really went there, you can really see it, experience it.

In fact, television and internet not only provide the scenes of many places of the world, but also is the very tool used to

advertise tour sights, which play an important role in promoting tourism. Seldom are there advertisements that can attract my

attention. However, once I was totally arrested by one advertisement propagandizing the tourism of Korea when I was drowsing

on a bus. And at that time I immediately decided to go for Korea if time and money permit. Such advertisements, usually

accompanied with several wonderful scenes of certain tour sites, flood on the internet nowadays as well, which must have

sparked many people¡¯s interests. Under the bombardment of those intriguing advertisements people are not likely to be just

satisfied with what they can see and know through television and internet, instead they are more likely to pay for the real

marvelous experience.

With the development of more advanced tools for communication, people can get to know the world better with more convenience.

However, this cannot stop them to explore the world by their own, which is the nature of human beings. The more familiar they

get to know one place, the more intriguing the place becomes to them.

Hope you can help me correct my essay, :)

Nowsdays, the cutting edge technologies give us a lot of information about other countries and people. It helps us a lot to know more about others. However, the advanced technique does not give information that we will get when we visit go travel. And the way we obtain the information about foreign countries from the Internet is very different from the one we get when we go to the countries on our own. Tourism will not be replaced by television or Internet but they will complete each other.

Firstly, the informaiton given by TV and Internet is different from what we have from a trip. TV and Internet will give us enormous data about some commonly interested aspect of a country. Discovery Channel shows the stories of the Amazon river, but it cannot tell how peaceful and relaxing the life there is precisely. A Japan tourists website will post different price and products in Tokyo, but you will never know the differences of the way local people bargain from you do. There are a lot of context that will not be posted on the website or broadcasted in TV. They are not important except for the ones who want to know more about the countries and the foreigners there. You have to go to the place yourself to know how others live in this world are different from you.

On the other hand, the way that TV and Internet expresses their content is not similar to travels at all. You can watch TV and Interent or even click and drag via Internet. You can get the defined information in depth. However, they never acheived the real interaction that a trip to foregin countries can give you. Although you will know the kinds of food in other country via the Internet, you will never kow how good is the food there precisely except you go there on your own. All the famous markets and malls will be shown online, but you cannot get the joys of bargainning from the websites. The TV will give us very useful information and the Interact will give us more customized data. However, they are not as interactive as travels at all. The human-to-human communication will not be replaced and that is the surprise that travels can give us.

In sum, TV and advanced computer technology can shows us different important aspects of other countries. It is very helpful for us to know more about others before we go to those countries. However, travels can tell us something will not be posted online or shown on TV. They may be something about the live style of foreigners. We cannot ignore those information if we indeed want to understand a country. Travel is not just watching or clicking, which is usefulful for informative data, but also amusing and fun communication with others.

Hi ccube. I hope my comments are of a value to you.

Nowsadays, the cutting edge technologies (either use: "the cutting-edge technology" or "cutting-edge technologies") give us a lot of information about other countries and people. It helps us a lot to know more about others (why is that so? Don't just throw an assumption without substantiating it). However, the advanced technique (of what?) does not give information that we will get when we visit go travel (please, reformulate that sentence. it is not clear what you meant) . And the way we obtain theis information about foreign countries from the Internet is very different from the ones we get when we go to these countries on our own. Tourism will not be replaced by television or Internet but they will complete each other.

It seems you presented two ideas. One is the information itself that is different between TV/internet and the experience in the country itself. The other is the way we obtain this information. Looking forward to your examples/explanations....

Firstly, the informaition given by the TV and Internet is different from what we have from a trip. TV and Internet will give us enormous data about some commonly interested aspect of a country. Discovery Channel shows the stories of the Amazon river, but it cannot tell how peaceful and relaxing the life there is precisely (actually it can... don't overstate) . A Japan touristsical website will post different price and products in Tokyo, but you will never know the differences of the way local people bargain from you do (the last part of the sentence is not readable! please rephrase). There are a lot of context that will not be posted on the website or broadcasted ion TV. They are not important except for the onespeople (the ones could be ambiguous... you could be refering to the information gathered through the internet/TV or the people/individuals) who want to know more about the countries and the foreigners there (I believe you meant: the natives there.. if you use "there", they are not foreigners, they are natives). You have to go to the place yourself to know how different from you others live in this world are different from you. (careful while saying "you have to"... you should say "To the best of my knowledge, I believe that"... otherwise there could be thousands of people who disagree strongly with you!)

You presented the idea that the internet/TV will not give you the same experience as being there in the country.

On the other hand, the way that TV and Internet expresses their content is not similar to travelsing at all. You can watch TV and Interenet or even click and drag via Internet (what do you mean/want to achieve by this phrase? It is pretty obvious, isn't it?). You can get the defined information in depth (try to combine these two smaller sentences into one). However, they never acheieved the real interaction that a trip to foregin countries can give you. (you're repeating the first paragraph's idea) Although you will know the kinds of food in other country via the Internet, you will never know how good is the food there precisely except when you go there on your own. All the famous markets and malls will be shown online (not necessarily... use "might be", instead of "will be"), but you cannot get the joys of bargainning from the websites (again, you're using the same example from the first paragraph). The TV will give us very useful information and the Interact (Internet?) will give us more customized data. However, they are not as interactive as travels at all. The human-to-human communication will not be replaced and that is the surprise that travels can give us.

You mentioned food, bargaining, and customized data... However, you concluded your paragraph talking about human-to-human communication!?! I believe you must be consistent in the thoughts you put in the same paragraph. Moreover, you merely repeated the idea of the first paragraph. Your examples are not much different, and therefore do not merit a sole paragraph.

In sum, TV and advanced computer technology can shows us different and important aspects of other countries. It is very helpful for us to know more about others before we go to those countries. However, travels can tell us something that will not be posted online or shown on TV. They maymight be something about the live style of foreigners (or natives). We cannot ignore those information if we indeed want to understand a country (I don't think we "understand" a country. Some might understand a country's culture, or social structure...). Travel is not just watching or clicking, which is usefulful for informative data, but also for amusing and fun communication with others.

ccube, I believe your essay is suffering more from lack of different perspectives on the issue. You focused on one small part of it (different information between internet/TV and experiences there in the country) and dwelled on it too much. On a scale from 0-6, I believe you are between 2.5-3.5, depending on the mood of the reader!

I believe your essay is also a little short for a 45-minute period. You should try to have at least three body paragraphs besides the introduction and conclusion. Apart from some spelling and grammatical errors, and some unecessary repetition of words (information, data, internet, TV, etc), your essay is not hard to follow and possess a good flow.

I hope that helped...

Wood

• 1 month later...

Can someone please comment? Thanks!!:o

150 Because of television and worldwide computer connections, people can now become familiar with a great many places that they have never visited. As a result, tourism will soon become obsolete.

The television and World Wide Web has indeed been one of the greater inventions of our time. Information and pictures from all around the world are now readily available at our fingertips. People no longer need to travel to various parts of the world to understand another’s culture and be familiar with their landmarks and history. However, I disagree with the statement that this will eventually lead to tourism becoming obsolete. In fact, they may even serve to promote tourism.

The broadcasts on television provide a vivid account of daily events that happen all around the world. Unlike reading a travel guide, no longer do we need to visualize what the people and places of various countries look like. Travel documentaries such as those found on discovery channel take you on a personal journey through the various landmarks and cultures of all around the world.

Worldwide computer connections now allow people from all over the world to communicate with one another. Plenty of discussion groups can be found on the internet where people from all walks of life share their views on topics of similar interest. The assimilation of cultures of all sorts at the same time is truly amazing.

From these discussions, we learn of the technological advancement of the various countries, the different problems that plague them and the various practices and rituals that are unique to them.

Despite these great inventions, I believe tourism will continue to flourish. The human mind is innately a curious one – One will never be satisfied by simply watching the television or learning about a place from another. Learning more about a place may in fact spur them to visit these places. No words or pictures can replace the first hand experience of scaling the Great Wall of China, trekking through the pristine beauty of mountains and rivers of Western Canada and entering the intriguing pyramids of Egypt just to name a few. And no amount of information will prepare you for the culture shock of poverty-stricken Somalia or war-torn Afghanistan.

The friendship that has formed on the web will also ensure that tourism will continue. People will now want to meet up with their new found friends.

To conclude, the television and worldwide connections has indeed brought tourism to a new level. However, no amount of television programs and virtual tourism can ever replace the satisfying experience of “been there, done that”. [dance]

• 4 weeks later...

The assertion the acessibility to distant places by media would deter tourism is not very tenable.The issue faced needs elaborate analysysis because the dissemination of information and knowlege can work adversely .It could attract people to unknown places by revealing the specialities. On the other hand it could make people complacent of seeing places from their homes. I feel both the effects have to be weighed and then a decision reached.

Relating to brighter side , the excessive acsess available through internet , Tv etc could advertise for places unheard off. Usually places like babylon or the pyramids are only heard off but seeing in the tv reveals it grandeur . It may provoke the aesthetic sense of the viewers to see these magnificent monuments with their naked eye.thus tourism could be highly enhanced.

Not only the advertising aspect, the media even serves to make a tour of these places more convenient. The planning to visit any place can be easily done by refering to the internet . The economically consious may know about the costs to be incurred. They may find accomodation and knowledge of airlines suiting their budget. THus itineraries of tourism can be much simplified and sorted out at home.Earlier the inacessibilty might have deterred a lot of people.

Besides the positive aspect the same media could affect a certain section of people in a negative way. However these effects will limit itself to specific people who are very fond of idealising and visualising in mind. Seeing taj mahal on tv would make them complacent . They would see that is no other than just another building. THe same analogous situation arises with persons who refrain to watch match in his own city because he can watch the same on tv.But these type unlike the stadium spectators get to feel only a vicarious thrill of the match, which is just a miniature of that felt in the stadium.

The negative effect seem to eclipsed by the brighter side as it is likely to apply only tosome idiosychratic people.The general mass would ,in my view be encouraged to tour.

Thus more and detail regarding tourism spots brought out by media could enhance rather than deter tourism.The media could serve as effective means of advertising for the tourism industry.

• 9 years later...

English is my second language. Can you read my topic and providing me with a feedback, please? Thank.

It is primary through our identification with social groups that we define ourselves. In today’s fast growing environment, people are identified by the people who are belonging with. Some people recognize themselves to be part of a social group is sense of urgency. Third, some people think being part of social group to gain social skills.

I agree with the general statement. It is a primary through our identification with social group that people recognize themselves that they need to be part of a group; such as a college group, or religious group, or craft group. For instance, while I was growing up, my family was part of a craft social group. We used to meet once a month to discuss the upcoming event that will need preparation. It was part of our traditional for younger children to form a social group to help them build social skills.

Moreover, person identifying him or her to part of a social group is sense of urgency. Some teenagers who have inferiority complex claimed that being part of any social group may help them to become popular and may be recognized among other friends. For example, during my high school year, a friend was desperately to be part a community or group to gain self esteem and hope to become popular in school. Second, some people have issue being by themselves doing task or preparing for an event. Therefore, they have to form a group to finish a particular task such as group project.

Indeed, a people recognize and identify themselves to belong to a social group to learn and gain new skills. People who have limited skills may have difficult time finding a job or get promoted within the company. A friend was laid off from her job and was having a hard time finding a job since she has limited skill. Indeed, she joined a social group that met once a week to learn new skills such as Microsoft office and Access. Being part a group improving business skills can aid the person to get promoted in the company.

It is primary through our identification with social groups that we define ourselves. Most people are recognized by the people they belong and spent time with such a community volunteering. Other believes being bring part of a social group are very important for social skills that will enhance their daily lives.