Urch Forums

620 GMAT - Taken GMAT - 620 (Q 48, V 27) - Advice needed

whoknows

I have taken GMAT after more than 3 months preparation (OG 10 (Done thrice)/ OG 11 (Done Once)/ Kaplan (Done Once)): My Kaplan score one month before the exam:

Test 1 - 550

Test 2 - 560

Test 3 - 580

Test 4 - 550

Two weeks before my GMAT exam took the GMAT prep exams:

PrepGMAT 1 - 710

PrepGMAT 2 - 640 (Took one week before the exam, was appalled seeing the score as I had the exam scheduled for next week)

Uninstalled the s/w and reinstalled it and then took both the exams simultaneously -

PrepGMAT 1 - 700

PrepGMAT 2 - 700

Was pretty happy with the consistency and thought that 640 might have been an aberration. Didn't take any test the day before real GMAT. Was confident of doing well and expecting a score between 680-700. My AWA well pretty well. I messed up my timing in Q but it was ok considering that I would have done much worse that the final score i.e. 48. Verbal started with two SC's which I thought were correct. Then RC - all through the verbal I was confident that I was doing well, by the end of 35th question I finished my time and guessed the remaining 6. Was hoping to see a score b/w 680-700 but was appalled when I saw my final score. I want to re-take the test but don't know what/ where I should concentrate. My SC has a consistency of 80% RC & CR are 65-70%. The only problem that I notices in my prep gmat is that though I get consistently 26-28 correct in verbal I score a wrong for every 5 questions. In first 10 Q's I have 2 wrongs say 3 & 8. Similarly I have 5 wrongs in first 20, sometimes they are accumulated at one point like 2,5,16,17,18 (when my V score is 35/36) & sometimes it is 3,7,12,16,20 (V score 25). I think not consistently getting the questions correct is leading to my low score. Any help/ advice of how to boost up my score. I am targetting top 15 schools in US and planning to attend in Fall'07. I thought that if everything goes well I can select few in top 15 and apply for round 15. I don't think with this score I should even think about applying. Can anybody help me / guide me of what my prep should concentrate on. I am tentatively planning to take the exam during Oct end giving myself 5 weeks before retake so that I can atleast think about round 2. Any advice would be of great help.

My friend, it's all about placing and pacing, i.e. where your mistakes are (in the chronolgy of the exam) and how well you did time-wise.

It is a well-known fact that the GMAT CAT gives more weight to the first 10 questions or so, in each of the 2 main portions of the exam - the 1st 10 questions in Quant and the 1st 10 questions in Verbal are critical to your final score.

Assitionally, it's also well known that no question should EVER go unanswered in the GMAT - there's a heavy "fine" to unanswered questions - so if all else fails, leave 1 minute at the end of each section to quickly guess all the leftover questions and finish the exam with no unanswered question.

Now, the real trick is to synthesize these 2 recommendations into a single pacing strategy - take as much time as you need when answering the first 10 questions in each section (of course, some judgement is still necessary, because you can't allow yourself to ponder a single question for over, say, 5 minutes...)

I truly believe that if you follow this advice (making sure that you don't get any of the 1st 10 questions wrong in either section, and that you don't leave any questions unanswered at the end of either section), you should see a great improvement in your score!

" Never say die " is all I wanna say... you have it in you as your scores in various tests say so... Please pace yourself... and dont even think of leaving a single question in your next attemp...

and..By the way.. is there any second thought of retaking the GMAT! You HAVE to take it... :)

All the best...

Shake that booty dude and you shall be just fine.These kinda mess ups happen and are normal as in my case. Looking at your scores and state of mind during GMAT , looks like the **** up was more due to anxiety rather than your prep.Next time keep your wits intact and head cool.

Peopple have scored 750 in their 2nd attempt after scoring 570 at 1st one. Disregard the exam & keep ur horizons clear. Go for another attempt but not b4 you practice a lot of tests.

Last but not the least- Everything is in ur mind.If u think u can,u will.If u dont then u wont.

So buddy , dont lose heart.Just jump in.