Urch Forums

1350, V:630, Q:720

razzman

For the most part, I am very satisfied with my score. If anyone would've told me 2 months ago I'd be scoring 1350, I'd be elated ! But I'll tell you why I'm a little down.

I scored 1420 and 1400 on the two powerpreps I gave a couple of days before the test. I thought the quantitative questions on Powerprep are a lot easier than the actual test. After the initial Writing section, I had quant. and it went horrible to be honest! (in terms of time-consumption that is!) , and for that I think ALL books are useless because none of the questions there were remotely as difficult as the ones presented in these books. They were, however, extremely complicated and time-consuming! I couldn't manage my time very well and ended up guessing on the last 7! Yes, last seven !! I was like :mad: afterwards!

I honestly believe I could have scored more in the verbal section that followed had I done quant. better ! Anyway, verbal was not overly-difficult and there was only one antonym that was non-Barrons - I say that because I did the entire Barron's word list and it helped loads! One RC was tricky, other than that the analogies were ok too.

Nevertheless, I am so relieved to finally gotten this over with! I had been dreaming of a decent score for months and to finally have got it now, it seems wonderful! Although I'm hoping my low Quantitative score doesn't hinder my chances of getting into a good grad school since my major is CS but on the whole, I'm pretty satisfied and feel so free today ! phew !

I had stopped studying 3-4 days before the test and would do 1-2 exercises per day at most. This helped me relax leading up to the big day where the most important thing is to stay calm and not to panic. I do remember most of the words that appeared on the test but I don't feel like breaking the confidentiality agreement with ETS, it's wrong. I'll be glad to help otherwise.

As for prep, mine was based on Barron's and NOVA. I consulted the ARCO's writing book for the analytical writing part and practiced on mygretutor.com, princeton's practice test system, powerprep (of course) and big book questions. I am a bit angry too, with all the books and their supposed instructions for quant. becuase it was nothing like they said it would be ! :mad: Never mind, I scored decent and I guess I should be thankful for that !

CONGRATULATIONS!!!![clap] [clap]

Thats much above a decent score.....:)

Good that you are finally done with it!

You said math Qs were trickier; and Barron's, Kaplan werent all that helpful!!:eek: :eek:

So can you tell us how difficult were they? werw they worded or trickier??

Also Qs from probability and SD were simpler ones or tough??

thanks a bunch!

Razzman !

great score man ! congrats :)

i have just around 1 month remaining for my GRE, i have went through Barron's twice before, but haven't revised in last 2 weeks or so.. i started focussing on a top 1000 list i found somewhere on the net :-(

Your verbal score is great .. and regarding quant, i thought u must have went through the GRE Quant section of this forum.. it clearly says tht GRE Quant is much tougher (nowadays) than in any of the mocks (even in PP it is much easier).. scary for me too :-( I have no idea what percentile 720 would put you at.. hope it doesn't hinder your chances in any way man..

Best of luck with the apping !

@Everyone

Thanks for the encouragement. I stumbled on this forum 2-3 weeks before the test and I'm glad I did because reading people's experiences, some links, and advice really helped.

@sruthi07

Well, it seems the nature of questions in quant. changes from time to time - albeit slowly. This is evident from the type of questions on the "Research" section that they're possibly planning to include on quant in the future. The quant. was definitely a lot trickier/wordier than in any of the practice tests I've given, and for that I hate all test prep. material now. I kept a page or two of common formulas handy for a quick review before the test, but it proved to be useless! There was only ONE triangle question, no probability, no SD, no simple motion problems (overtaking and the like). There were however wordy permutation, combination, sequence and series, figures (square and rectangles), rectangular solids etc. But there were no simple questions, everything was twisted and tangled so as to maximize the chances of misunderstanding and making a mistake. To make sure I was right, I had to be careful and when you're careful, you're slow and slow is not always good, as I found out (although I do believe I got most right upto question 20 - hence, the 720 score).

@madhur_ahuja

For prep, get some book that does not merely test on the difficulty of the questions (like Barrons n NOVA). I did not do Kaplan or any other book for quant., so I don't really know how they go about instructing about quant. One thing's for sure, you can forget about getting "simple" solving and comparison questions on the real thing. If I had more of an idea about this fact, I could've prepared better and possibly gotten more.

@nisheenth

My first two schools of choice are GeorgiaTech and NCSU. Like raza said, now I need to concentrate on the apping thing and try to make my case as best as possible. Good Luck for your exam !

Hello razzman! :)

MY CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your score is great, you have got 630 in verbal, it is so good! Congratulations again!

Could you please advise me some methods of words' memorizing, i guess you are very good in it!

Thank you in advance!

Good luck to you in application process in CS!

Bets regards,

Katya

Ugh!!:mad: :rolleyes: :yuck: :eek:

Looke like ETS is taking its wrath because the change wasnt been approved!!!:(

I was happy I was scoring good in the quant section....

Razzman, can you site some e.g as to how the Qs were in the Quant section??

I dont want to go unprepared and shock my self with the deluge of tricky Qs....:crazy:

thanks a bunch

@een

I did the entire Barrons list in 2 months time. The average was roughly 1 word list per day. Initially, it took a lot more effort to memorize the words but once I got used to memorizing, it wasn't overly difficult at all. Be sure not to break your momentum though, for e.g., if you go 3-4 days without doing a list, you start to struggle. In other words, draw up a schedule and stick to it. Also, the important thing is to keep revising! I revised all the lists done in the preceding 7 days at every weekend.

I finished the entire list 20 days before the test, and revised 3 times more before the big day, and every time the cycle of revision was less. The result of all this effort was that I remembered 99% of the words. I scored 670 in verbal in my first PowerPrep and was overjoyed! I guess it wasn't to be in the real thing. Still, this should get you into the 90% percentile on verbal. All the best!

hey razzman..

your verbal prep technique is great man.. many people have also told me not to lose "touch" with wordlists.. i think i have done this mistake already.. i'll follow ur advice :-)

best of luck for the apping man.. hope to see u in US next yr :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mr. Razzman, I am Ali from Lahore, Pakistan. a Materials Science and Engineering MajorGood to c u scoring high.............Gr8 job man...............Gr8 jobI need some help from ucan u send me your ID. or alternately can u advise me from where u prepared for AWA coz i didnt found any good source of it yet. I have given GRE once but my scores areAllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss 1150 AWA 3.5V badNow i am planning to take it again. can u extend me some help by providing a reliable and good source of AWA preparation. Will be v thankfull to uRegards,