Urch Forums

March 29 2008 toefl exam details

Rani14

Hello All,

I am just providing a quick insight into the toefl test which I took on March 29 2008. I got my results yesterday -115:).

Reading 29

Listening 27

Speaking 30:tup:

Writing 29.

Just thought would share the details and it could be helpful to some ppl around.

The exam started off with the reading section. I was given one passage to complete in 20 mins. and 2 more passages to be done in 40 mins. I just skimmed through the passages , but didnt miss any sentence. While I was answering, even though i was sure of the answers, i made sure to check back the passage before confirming the answer. I finished the section with some 3 minutes remaining. The listening section was quite long. The conversations were simple but this section demands our concentration and nothing else. I noted down points from the lectures. At some point I felt a bit drowsy and while answering i struggled a bit for those areas that lacked attention. The more you concentrate the better. I took the break and started afresh. After the microphone check the speaking section starts. The first question was to describe one of the achievements in life , how imp it is and how do you feel about it. The second one was an agree/disagree kinda question for the statement" It is never too old to study in a university". more questions based on paragraph and listening. In the last part, writing section , I had the integrated writing task. Listen well to the lecture and make points. We can always refer the passage. I combined ideas from both the listening and writing sections and made it clear that the lecture is refuting the passage in the first para. I had 3 points to elaborate that in 3 paras and concluded in the final paragraph. The last one was the independent writing task to comment on "Is it really required to have a strict dress code" in universities and schools. I had enough time for that too.

I feel this post will help someone out here and I am happy to help anyone regarding this. For the essay portion I have a pdf document of about 450 essays with answers. I had gone through that to get a feel of the writing stuff. If anyone needs the same give ur email ids.

All the best for ur exams.:)

Hello All,

I am just providing a quick insight into the toefl test which I took on March 29 2008. I got my results yesterday -115:).

Reading 29

Listening 27

Writing 29.

Just thought would share the details and it could be helpful to some ppl around.

The exam started off with the reading section. I was given one passage to complete in 20 mins. and 2 more passages to be done in 40 mins. I just skimmed through the passages , but didnt miss any sentence. While I was answering, even though i was sure of the answers, i made sure to check back the passage before confirming the answer. I finished the section with some 3 minutes remaining. The listening section was quite long. The conversations were simple but this section demands our concentration and nothing else. I noted down points from the lectures. At some point I felt a bit drowsy and while answering i struggled a bit for those areas that lacked attention. The more you concentrate the better. I took the break and started afresh. After the microphone check the speaking section starts. The first question was to describe one of the achievements in life , how imp it is and how do you feel about it. The second one was an agree/disagree kinda question for the statement" It is never too old to study in a university". more questions based on paragraph and listening. In the last part, writing section , I had the integrated writing task. Listen well to the lecture and make points. We can always refer the passage. I combined ideas from both the listening and writing sections and made it clear that the lecture is refuting the passage in the first para. I had 3 points to elaborate that in 3 paras and concluded in the final paragraph. The last one was the independent writing task to comment on "Is it really required to have a strict dress code" in universities and schools. I had enough time for that too.

I feel this post will help someone out here and I am happy to help anyone regarding this. For the essay portion I have a pdf document of about 450 essays with answers. I had gone through that to get a feel of the writing stuff. If anyone needs the same give ur email ids.

Hi,

I also took the 03/29/08 TOEFL. Scored 25 on speaking could you please tell me how you studied. 1 need the magic number of 26 on speaking.

PS HELP!!!

Hello All,

Reading 29

Listening 27

Writing 29.

Perfect 30 on speaking ... I am speachless, congrats!:tup:

Thanks everyone.

And kyla1 I am just jotting down my approach.

The main thing to be careful during speaking is to express the idea/main points within the specified time which is very less ofcourse. The clock is infront of us and if u think u cannot speak the whole idea within that timeframe, cut it short. Never let the conversation end abruptly or in a hurried fashion as it gives a feel that u want to express more and u cant for the lack of time. So maintain the same pace from start to end. This gives a good feelng to the listener. Dont speak too fast or too slow. Practice speaking within the specified time.U can practice for general stuff such as abt ur hobby,reading habits, role model,favorite food etc. record and correct it. Initially i took almost 3 minutes to express my whole idea but then learned to cut it short to 45 sec. I never used words suh as The first reason, second and all. I felt it so much of a made up conversation by usin first reason, second reason etc. For the agree/disagree questions make sure u speak ur stand first. I completely agree with the statement that"...". Give reasons and corresponding examples. I tried to relate to practical things that it just feels like talking to another person. Well for the integrated task I made sure to include phrases as "in the reading passage" to say, the news in the notice board blah blah and "in the listening passage" students are talking abt that blah blah like a clear intro and then went into the deatils. The time limit of 1 minute is good enough. Finally there is nothing to get tensed in this. Speak in a confident manner and great results are definitely waitin for you.

HI all. I had my exam on 29th of March as well, but no answer yet. I am desparate. If no results till saturday (tomorrow), I think I will sue ETS, as those 15 bussiness days has expired today. I am dissapointed. They dragged our money from the credit card immediately, but they can't respect a deadline, although they expect us to be ready in 15 seconds with a speaking task. Shame on you!

hi

rani 14

congratulation

i need your help

i have been taking this toefl since 1 year

i m stuck on speaking and writing with 23 and 21 resp.

please help me

i nedd your help for these 2 sections

i want those 450 essays

and also if you can help me on speaking

thanks

mittal

Thnkx once again..

I have provided the details in the thread. I havent done nething extra. I just practiced, recorded and corrected the pace. For the integrated tasks, relate the information from both the sections. For the discussion based ones, state the problem, opinions presented , your opinion and the reason behind it. Speak in such a way that a person who hasnt listened to the conversation should understand what u are talking abt. You can seek the help of a family member/friend for the same. They will be able to judge it more precisely.

• 2 weeks later...

Vidya,

U cud be the best person to know how long u gotta study for the exam. I took 2.5 weeks to go thr all the sections. A maximum of a month is enough for Toefl i guess. Again u need to identify ur weak areas and work on it.

loan,

I cannot judge which book is the best as I havent done a comparison. The only book I gt was the official guide and I referred Barron's from the library. I dont have any idea abt other toefl books. Personally I liked the official guide and the explanations provided.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Reading 29

Listening 27

Writing 29.

i admire u so much, especially writing and speaking section. What is ur country? Can u share me sur experience of writing section? How many essays do u write a day ? u got 115 Toefl score so i think i must have had a long time to practice diligently? Would u tell me about this time , how u prepared for toefl?:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone n congrats rani,

Actually i have jus srated to prepare for Toefl.

Can ne body tell me wat materail to study.

which is the best book for it.

and if u all can send me some online links as well to prepare.

i have to give exam very shortly.

i need ur help..

waiting for ur replies

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...