Urch Forums

New Roll Call Fall 2010

Amun Ra

Type of Undergrad: Economics, South Italian University.Graduate in 2004.Major in Economics

Undergrad GPA: 110/110,Cum Laude (average 28.90 out of 30)

GRE/TOEFL: 800Q/590V/3.5AWA.TOEFL waived

Math Courses: General Mathematics, Financial Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis Multivariable Analysis(should be calculus) , Statistics I and I. ‐ All equivalent to A's or A+

Econ Courses (u/g): Micro and Macro Theory, Labour, International economics, monetary economics, Industrial econ. Development economics, economic history, History of economic thought theory, econometrics, Public economics, Regional Economics, Applied economics, Economic Policy‐ All equivalent to A's or A+

Grad courses: LOTs macro based at PhD level courses with very well know scholars all with A.I am currently in the first year of a top 20 US PhD program where I am taking the first year of micro/macro/metrics sequence.I am aiming to get transferred

Other Courses: Summer school at UPF.

Letters of Recommendation: Till now 1) stellar letters from a NYU PhD thesis supervisor and co-author well connected 2)A stellar letter from a guy with UChicago PhD whom I have been his TA for 3 years 3)Form a guy with PhD Michigan well know in his field. I got A in his graduate course and we will start co-authoring a parer together in late spring 2010.4) a standard if not excellent one form my u/g international economics prof with a PhD Michigan

Research Experience: I have written 3-4 working papers till now .One of them is co-authored with a lor writer(see above)and I will start writing another one with another lor writer(see above again). Another paper is co-authored with a Oxford prof and another one is single authored. Senior undergraduate thesis back in 2004 . I won special merit from the evaluation committee for the quality of thesis work, presentation skills and academic performance.II also won the prize for the best u/g thesis for that year. I have servred as a visitor scholar at the research division of one of the most important central bank of the world and as an economist in a reseach institute

Teaching Experience: 3 years TA for monetary economics and many other courses at my current institution

Research Interests: Monetary economics (mostly monetary policy),DSGE models ,Central Banking, Macroeconomics

Statement of Purpose: Strong .I talk about my papers

Other: Participant in several conferences including invitations from BIS, CEPR, ECB, and various national central Banks.Acquittance with many top economists in the field .

Concerns:

While this experience has been very enjoyable and satisfying, in discussing my research interests with faculty members at my current university I realized that our interests are mismatched. Therefore, I have decided to apply again knowing that I might start from the first year again:yuck:

I am also having personal reasons I want to get out of here.

Applying to:Harvard , MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago, Berkeley , Columbia, NYU,Upenn, Northwester,Minnesota,Maryland ,and 2-3 schools in Europe.

Type of Undergrad: BSc Econonomics and Business Administration at best institution in small European country. Exchange at top 10 european b-school.

Undergrad GPA: Top 5 percent.

GRE/TOEFL: 800Q/410V/5.0 AWA.TOEFL: 113

Math Courses: Math for Econ, A. Analysis and Diff. eq, B. Statistics for economists A.

Econ Courses (u/g): Intro and intermediate micro, macro, As and Bs. International econ, econ geography, european econ, labour econ. Mostly As.

Grad courses: None.

Other Courses: Four finance, all As. Managment, Bs.

Letters of Recommendation: 1 good from well-published, well-connected mit phd, former dean of school and minister in my country. 1 unknown from semi-well-published professor who gave me an a in advanced micro. 1 very good from unknown AP at b-school I was on exchange.

Research Experience: None.

Teaching Experience: None.

Research Interests: Micro theory, public econ.

Statement of Purpose: Pretty standard. Focused on how my interests got developed through a diverse set of experiences (journalism, army service).

Other: Fulbright fellowship. Won math competitions.

Concerns: No research experiences. Poor math credentials, although I can document ability. Unknown school. Unknown recommenders and unknown quality of one of them. No MA-level experience.

Applying to:Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Berkeley, Upenn, Northwestern (likely rejected), Maryland, Michigan, Duke (rejected), Cornell (rejected), Caltech. Yale IDE and LSE EME (accepted).

Type of Undergrad: Top 2 in Econ

Undergrad GPA: 4.4/5

GRE/TOEFL: 790Q

Math Courses: multi var, diffeq, linear alg, real analysis

Econ Courses (u/g): Alot

Grad courses: None.

Other Courses: does it matter?

Letters of Recommendation: 1 very well known (who really likes me), 1 obscure but known amongst behavioral economists, my real analysis prof

Research Experience: internship at the fed and research with behavioral prof

Research Interests: Behavioral, public finance

Statement of Purpose: Talked mostly about research background and how it relates to my interests, briefly talked about my extra-curriculars which I have a lot of, to implicitly give context for less than perfect GPA

Other:

Concerns: Less than perfect GPA.

Applying to: MIT, MIT Sloan, Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, UChicago, Berkeley, UMich, Brown

Type of Undergrad: Top US Public

Undergrad GPA: 3.8/4

GRE: 780Q 520V 5AWA

math: basic prep and one proof-based course (not on my transcript at time of application)

Research Experience: through the history department

Research Interests: micro, cultural econ, development

Statement of Purpose: explained my C+ in multi var calculus

Other: studied in Italy for 6 mo

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Economics with Highest Honors, The University of Texas at Austin

Undergrad GPA: 4.00

Type of Grad: Working on an Economics M.A. at Duke University

Grad GPA: 4.00

GRE: 740Q, 560V 6.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calculus I,II,III (A), Intro. to Statistics (A), Economic Statistics (A), Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (A), Applied Data Analysis (A), will be taking Real Analysis in Spring 2010

Econ Courses: Intro. Micro (A), Intro. Macro (A), Intermediate Honors Micro (A), Intermediate Honors Macro (A), Industrial Organization (A), Labor Economics (A), Health Economics (A), Political Economy (A)

Econ Courses: (Masters Level) Advanced Microeconomics (A) Environmental Economics (A). Will be taking Graduate Econometrics in Spring 2010

Letters of Recommendation: All should be good with one great one. One from Cornell, one from Princeton, and one from Yale.

Research Experience: Currently an RA for a top professor in the environmental economics field (non-market valuation).

Teaching Experience: Supplemental instructor for an intro. macroeconomics class for a year

Research Interests: Environmental Economics. Specifically, non-market valuation, stated/revealed preference work, hedonic property models, etc.

Statement of purpose: I feel that it is strong and reflects my experiences, goals, and reasons for getting a PhD

Concerns: Low GRE quant. score. However, I have been told that it should not automatically throw me out of the ring because of my strong academic profile and well-developed research goals.

Applying to: NC State, Michigan State ARE, Penn State ARE, Arizona State University (ASU), and Virginia Tech Applied Economics

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Math at top 10 LAC

Undergrad GPA: 3.95 ish

GRE: 800Q, 580V 5.5 AWA

Math Courses: Calculus III, Linear Algebra, Math Structures, Probability, Statistics, Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Combinatorics, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, Topology, Complex Analysis, Number Theory, Stochastic Processes

Econ Courses: Intro. Micro, Intro. Macro, Intermediate Micro (A-), Intermediate Macro, Game Theory, Econometrics, Finance

CS Courses: Intro, Data Structures, Data Mining, Algorithms

All A/A+ except for Intermediate Micro (A-)

Letters of Recommendation: All should be good, but not famous. All from my current school.

Research Experience: RA for a summer

Research Interests: Finance, IO, Monetary

Statement of purpose: Clear and Strong

Concerns: No grad level courses, less strong recs.

Applying to:

(Out) Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia, NWU, Yale

(Pending) Penn, MIT, Princeton, Chicago, Stanford

I do not think I will get into any school this year. I will work as an RA for 1-2 years, get strong letters, then re-apply.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: MA in Econ in a small country in Eastern Europe; univ is among the best in the country but has little, if any, international renown

Undergrad GPA: 4.92/5.00, 1st out of 182

Type of Grad: MPhil Econ at another, English-speaking, univ in the same country

Grad GPA: 3.94/4.00

GRE: 800Q, 660V, 4.0AWA (Nov 2007); 800Q, 630V, 4.0AWA (Nov 2009)

TOEFL: 112/120 (30R, 27S, 27L, 28W)

Math Courses: Calculus (actually, it was more like real analysis; 5/5), Linear Algebra, Linear Programming, Multivariate Analysis (4/5, the last three went under the same course), Probability Theory (5/5), Operations Research (5/5), Advanced Math (A, actually Measure Theory)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro (A,A,A), Macro (A,A), Metrics (A,A,A-,5/5), Monetary Theory (5/5), Recursive Macro (5/5), Time Series Analysis (A,5/5), Intl Macro (5/5), Game Theory (5/5), Public Econ (A), Behavioral (A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Metrics Intro (5/5), Public Econ (5/5), Labor (5/5,4/5), IO (5/5), Micro (5/5,5/5), Macro (5/5,5/5), Corporate Finance (5/5)

Other Courses: Statistics minor, plus some Political Science, Accounting, Law (the first two years of my undergrad were rather a joint social sciences—business—econ program before specialization to econ)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 econ professors (1 MIT PhD, 1 Harvard PhD), 1 math prof; I guess they are solid

Research Experience: MA thesis (mainly a survey but contains also a standalone RBC model) plus a preliminary project for a series of research seminars

Teaching Experience: a lot, TA for 7 courses altogether (4 math, 1 grad macro, 1 undergrad micro, 1 undergrad macro)

Research Interests: econ of information, mechanism design, macro

SOP: Enthusiastic as it should be, emphasizes eagerness for research

Concerns: I seem to be less proficient at math than I think I am due to the few number of formal courses I took (though I studied more autodidactically). Low GRE AWA; I redid GRE to improve it but I just worsened V. :doh: Also, the program I am in now is actually a PhD program having the option to leave with an MPhil; I know that some universities (Harvard, for example) don't like it.

Applying to: MIT Econ, MIT Operations Research, Harvard (all econ from now on), Yale, Princeton, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Northwestern, Penn, Duke, Berkeley, Stanford

In: Yale ($$$$) :grad:, Northwestern ($$), Duke ($$), Berkeley ($$), NYU (full funding, details come later)

Out: MIT ORC, Columbia, Chicago, {Harvard} (implicit)

Waiting: MIT Econ, Princeton, Penn (waitlisted), Stanford

Edited by triple_sec
Update of admission status

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Quantitative Economics. B.A. Political Science

Undergrad GPA: 3.36

GRE: 770Q 570V 4.5 AWA

Math Courses: Calc I-III, (AP, AP, A) Linear Algebra (A), Real Analysis (D), Probability (B+)

Econ Courses: Intro Micro ©, Intro Macro ©, Elementary Econometrics (A), Econometrics (A), Advanced Econometrics (A), Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro(A+), Economic Growth (A), Economic Development (B+), Environmental Economics (B+), International Monetary Policy (A)

Grad Courses: Advanced Micro (A), Advanced Macro (A-)

Letters of Recommendation: All very good, from top 10

Research Experience: Work at a public policy think tank. Thesis in Political Science.

Research Interests: Applied micro, development

Statement of purpose: Way better than average

Concerns: I had a poor first three semesters then I did very well. I hope masters micro w/ MWG makes up for a D in Real Analysis

Applying to:

PhD: Duke (out), OSU, BC (waitlisited), Maryland, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Indiana, Purdue, Colorado-Boulder, Arizona

Masters: UBC, Toronto, Tufts, Michigan, Boston University (Accepted)

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Economics, Top in my country.

Undergrad GPA: 4.0 (Rank 1 in my generation)

Type of Grad: MSc, Economics.

Grad GPA: 3.6 - 3.7

GRE: 770Q

Math Courses: Calculus I, II, III (from limits to integrals, dif. equations, etc...), Logic Algebra, Matrix Algebra, Prob. and statistics (I, II), Econometrics (I, II, undergraduate). Topology (less than Real Analysis), Econometrics I (grad), Time Series (grad, very hard course), Microeconometrics (grad)

Econ Courses: tons Micro, Macro (under and grad), political economy, Monetary Theory, Public Finances, IO, International Finance, Trade, Labor, etc.

Other Courses: soccer???

Letters of Recommendation: 4 professors (academia), 2 Columbia, 1 UCLA, 1 MIT.

Research Experience: Master thesis, and 4 non published papers, and RA in 5 papers. Another paper submitted to a top journal.

Teaching Experience: a lot, specialized in Macro and political economics courses. Near 20 TA in my undergrad and grad career-

Research Interests: Monetary Theory, Macro, International Finance, Development and Political Economy.

SOP: strong tendency to be academic, in Behavioral, Macro and International Economics.

Other: 3 years experience in Central Bank/Policy Making institutions, 1 year as a lecturer/researcher in university.

Applying to: only PhD, WUSTL (IN $$), UVA (IN, not formal), UPenn, Michigan, BU, Cornell, UCSC(IN, no funding), TAMU

Undergrad: Economics, large public university (I dare you to guess which one)

Undergrad GPA: 3.94/4.0, cum laude

GRE: 760Q/640A/4.5

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Stat I-II, Linear Algebra, Diff Eq (most taken at community college post-undergrad)

Econ Courses: Standard lot (but no econometrics)

Grad courses: Currently enrolled in PhD level Econometrics

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from my work supervisor, 1 from UG professor (who probably does not remember me), 1 co-authored by 2 of my math professors at the CC. An interesting bunch of letters...

Research Experience: none!

Teaching Experience: nope (unless ESL counts...)

Research Interests: development, applied micro, public, labor

Statement of Purpose: standard

Other: a few years of work experience as an Economist for the Dept of Labor

Concerns: After lurking around this forum for several months before the application season, I decided my profile was probably not strong enough to secure a good spot at a good uni with funding, so I decided to apply for MA programs instead, with the intention of applying to PhD programs upon completion of the MA. I'm also keeping the option open of staying at work for another year, and applying for PhD programs next year with some extra money in the bank, and a PhD level Econometrics class under my belt.

Applying to: (all MA) Simon Fraser MA (accepted, $), UBC, Barcelona GSE, CEMFI, U Colorado - Denver, Tufts, U San Fran (Development)

Type of Undergrad: Economics, Top South American University.

Undergrad GPA: 6.02/7 (Highest in my Class)

Type of Grad: MSc, Economics, Top South American University.

Grad GPA: 6.5/7 (Highest in my Class)

GRE/TOEFL: 790Q/780V/5.5AWA. 120 TOEFL.

Math Courses: Calculus I-III, Algebra, Probability and Statistics, Inference, Mathematics for Economists (Linear Algebra, some Dynamic Optimization), Advanced Calculus (Should be Real Analysis I), Real Analysis.

All A's, except for Calculus I.

Econ Courses (u/g): Intro Micro, Intro Macro, Micro I-II, Macro I-II, Industrial Organization, International Economics, Econometrics. All equivalent to A's or A+

Grad courses: Macro Theory I, Micro Theory I-II, Econometric Theory I-II-III. In my university, I is a joint M.Sc. and Ph.D. course, while the others are Ph.D. courses. Also, Industrial Organization, Public Economics, Enviromental Economics. All equivalent to A's or A+, except for IO, B+.

Letters of Recommendation: All strong, I believe/hope. I moved them around according to the program, but the summary is 2 MIT, 2 Chicago,1 Harvard, 1 UCLA, 1 Georgetown.

Research Experience: Honors thesis, won the poster contest in the annual meeting of my country's economic society. A co-authored working paper, with a classmate, that I have presented a few times and has been submitted for publication. Also, a couple of other co-authored working papers, including one with a professor from my university. Also, a year and a half of being a research assistant for that professor.

Teaching Experience: Been a TA since 2nd year of undergrad for a bunch of courses. Of note, TA for a core Ph.D. econometrics course and for a graduate enviromental economics course. Also, have been teaching Introduction to Economics for a year.

Research Interests: IO, mostly empirical work.

Statement of Purpose: The usual, I talk about my research, what I have done and what I want to do.

Other: As an undergrad, I was student body president for my department. Also, I am in charge of coordinating 11 sections of Introductory Economics at my university.

Concerns:

No published or in the pipeline research. Just submitted one working paper to a journal, but I haven't heard back from them so I decided not to mention that I had submitted it.

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Chicago, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, UPenn, Northwestern, UCLA, Yale.

Type of Undergrad: B.A in Economics-Philosophy and Mathematics

Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GRE: 780Q, 640V, 4.0W

Math Courses (undergrad):Cal I, Calc III, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Probability and Statistics, Advanced Logic, (all As)

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro-econometrics (A-), Graduate Macroeconomics (A-)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro/Macro(A-,B+), Advanced Econometrics (B+), Advanced Macro (A), Game Theory (A-), Economic History (A-), International (C, took abroad in Ghana)

Letters of Recommendation:

Economics. Well Known. My boss.

Economics. Well Known. Professor. (I wrote an empirical research paper for his course.)

Philosophy of Science. Professor. (I took two classes with him. I wrote a paper that I presented at a philosophy conference. He advised me on a documentary that I made as a senior.)

Mathematics. Professor. (Adviser for my senior research project.)

Geophysics. Researcher. (Adviser for my REU research project. )

Research Experience: REU Intern in geophysics at Lamont Earth Observatory, summer 2007 (My paper was accepted to the 2008 ASLO Conference). I also published a paper in the philosophy of science when I was a sophomore, but I'm not so proud now of what I said and the journal was not a big deal at all. Full-time economics RA since July 2008 for one of my letter writers.

Research Interests: Development, Growth Theory, Economic History.

Statement of Purpose: Talked about my background, why I chose to pursue interdisciplinary undergraduate study. Talked about my experiences abroad in Ghana, my research experience at Lamont and as an RA and my motivation for studying development and poverty issues.

Concerns: "I was rejected from everywhere in last year's admissions cycle. Feedback from my home institutions' admissions committee stated that my choice to not specialize in economics early on is hurting me now during the admissions process. I worry that I will have a similar experience this year." (This is what I wrote a few months ago. I don't have this concern anymore, but I kept it because it's what I WAS concerned about.)

Applied to: MIT, NYU, Harvard, UC Berkeley, Columbia, UMich, Princeton, Yale, UCLA, UC Davis, BU, Duke, Brown, Northwestern, U Penn

PROFILE: Economics, small East-European country

Type of Undergrad: 5-year degree (actually BA+MA with IO major)

Undergrad GPA: about 4.3 on a 1-5 scale (no official GPA system)

GRE: Q800/V380/A3

Math Courses:Real Analysis I-II, Linear Algebra I-II, Probability Theory, Differential Equations, Operational Research, Statistics I-III.

Econ Courses: A lot.

Other Courses: A lot, mostly in other social sciences and informatics.

Letters of Recommendation: Not well-known, bot strong letters from professors of my program.

Research Experience: Several student paper, two of them won first prize.

Teaching Experience: One year (game theory, quantitative methods) for graduate students.

Research Interests: Game theory, IO.

SOP: Standard, but strong.

Other:

Acceptences: Tilburg ($), TSE (Eiffel nominated)

Reject: Tinbergen

Waiting: UC3, UAB, Alicante

Type of Undergrad: International Economics from top-50 econ PhD

Undergrad GPA: 3.96/4.00

GRE: 800Q/730V/5.5

Math Courses: Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Proofs, Real Analysis (Got all As)

Econ Courses: Standard (Got all As)

Grad Courses: First-Year PhD Macro (Got an A)

LORs: Professor of Grad Macro Course, Professor who got me a job one summer, boss from that job (writing a paper with him), Math professor

Research Experience: Writing paper with summer boss

Teaching Experience: 5th semester as TA for intro econ course

Research Interests: Labor, IO, Econometrics, International Trade

SOP: Standard

Concerns: Low quality of econ program at my school makes my grades less impressive; unknown LOR writers

Applying to: Stanford, Berkeley, Northwestern, Harvard, MIT, Brown, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Princeton, Penn

Undergrad: Top 3 in Germany, BA in Economics

Undergrad GPA: 1.45/5.00 (the nearer to 1, the better)

Exchange: UW, Seattle

Exchange GPA: 3.86/4.00

GRE: 800Q/560V/4.5AWA

Math Courses: 2 Math courses for Economists, 2 Statistics Classes, Game Theory

Econ Courses: A lot including Micro I & II, Macro I & II as well as Econometrics I & II.

Grad courses: None even though advanced German courses are well above Econ 400 level.

Letters of Recommendation: 3 from Profs with PhDs from Columbia, Chicago and Harvard. All should be strong.

Research Experience: RA for one Semester (my LoR writer).

Teaching Experience: TA for one Semester.

Research Interests: International Macroeconomics, Finance.

Statement of Purpose: Good. :)

Other: Applying for Masters.

Concerns: Maybe not good enough grades.

Applying to: Warwick (accepted), Tinbergen (accepted, $$$), LSE (rejected), Oxford, UCL, UBC, Cambridge and SSE.

Type of Undergrad: German Diplom in Economics from a University that is a Top5 in Germany but 200-300 worldwide.

Undergrad GPA: exp. 1.9 on a scale from 1.0-5.0 where 1.0 is best

Type of Grad: NA

Grad GPA: NA

GRE: 750Q, 420V, 4.5AWA (second take), 740Q, 400V, 4.0AWA (first take)

Math Courses: Mathematics for Economists I and II (passed), Statistics I, II and III (2.0)

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Advanced Macro I (2.3), Adv. Macro II (1.3), Monetary Theory (1.3)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Economic Policy, International Economics, Environmental Economics, Energy Economics, Public Economics, Growth, Labour, and many more, all between 1.0-3.3 (average about 2.0)

Other Courses: pre-degree in business

Letters of Recommendation: 3 econ professors (1 Northwestern PhD, 1 former Harvard fellow, 1 unknown)

Research Experience: 3 years RA for an unknown prof.

Teaching Experience: Introductory micro

Research Interests: Macro

statement of purpose: Standard - template taken from Italos.

Concerns: GRE scores.

Other: MA application only

Applying to: NYU MA, Yale IDE, UBC MA, UofT MA, UMich MAE, McGill MA, U Illinois Chicago MA

Keep your fingers crossed:luck2:

Cheers,

JBD

Type of Undergrad: Largely unknown Liberal Arts college in the US

Undergrad GPA: 3.72/4.00

GRE: 800Q/520V/4.5

Math Courses: Calculus sequence, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra I&II, Diff EQ, Real Analysis I&II, Functional Analysis, Complex Analysis, Number Theory, Mathematical Stats I&II, more math courses related to Quantum Mechanics and physics applications.

Econ Courses: Intermed. Micro and Macro, Advanced Micro, Public Econ, Econometrics, Game Theory

LORs: Econ professor who I had for 3 classes and who was my research advisor, Math professor for a number of classes, Physics professor for a number of classes (saw my ability to apply concepts from RA, AA to physics)

Research Experience: Wrote two papers with econ professors, and worked extensively on two math research projects (all unpublished work)

Teaching Experience: TA for all calculus classes, Diff EQ, statistics

Research Interests: Game theory, experimental, applied micro, econometrics

SOP: Pretty standard

Concerns: Unknown LOR writers

Applying to: NYU, UMD, BU, Brown, Cornell, WUStL, Penn State, UNC chapel hill, Georgetown, University of Pittsburgh

Type of Undergrad: BSc Economics - UK Top 3

Undergrad GPA: Upper second (2:1 Hons) - Equiv. to 3.5-3.6 on GPA scale

GRE: 760Q/520V/4.5AWA

Math Courses: Multivariable calculus, Linear Algebra, Differerntial Equations+ Difference Equations (All B+), Linear Programming and Optimization, Operational research techniques, Stats I,II (All A-)

Econ Courses: Micro I,II,III (A-,B+,B), Macro I,II,III (A-,B+,B), EconometricsI,II (B ouch!), International Economics I,II (A-), Economic Analysis of EU I,II (B,B+), Principles of Finance I,II (A+,A+), Corporate Finance I,II (B+,B)

LORs: 2 Econ professor + 1 Employer/Research supervisor

Research Experience: Research for 1.5 years with United Nations

Teaching Experience: IB Mathematics (Higher level) for 6 months

Research Interests: Macro, International finance

SOP: Links interests to past work experience

Concerns: Alot! Few B's in econ courses (major worry) & have been out of school for 1.5 years. Insufficient Maths?

Applying to (Only Masters): NYU, BU, UBC, UofT, Yale IDE, UPF, Tilburg, Vienna University, LSE (Econ&Fin)

Type of Undergrad: B.F.A (!) dbl major in acting and economics (from one of the top acting programs, and a top (15) econ department.

Undergrad GPA: 3.85/4 over all, 3.9 econ; received the senior year econ dept. award.

Type of Grad: NA

Grad GPA: NA

GRE: 800Q, 650V, 5.5AWA

Math Courses: Calc I-II (AP). Only linear algebra (A) in undergrad. Since then, calc III (A), real analysis (A+), math stats (A+), probability (A)

Econ Courses (undergraduate): two intro classes plus micro, macro, international trade, labor, public, development, statistics, econometrics, thesis. All A's, except an A- in my first intro course.

Letters of Recommendation: 2 econ professors (worked for one over a summer, co authored a paper with the other -- top marks in their classes), one economist at a fed (he does more academic research than policy work).

Research Experience: A senior thesis, which grew into a paper that was recently accepted into a top (sub)field journal. Over 2 years at a fed working pretty closely with an economist with who I coauthored a paper we submitted to an interdisciplinary policy journal.

Teaching Experience: Very little. Worked in a statistics lab in college where I gave a lesson on STATA.

Research Interests: Labor, behavioral

Statement of Purpose: Discussed my background and research experiences. Also wrote two paragraphs outlining my research interests in applied microeconomics, labor, and behavioral. So, fairly specific. Hardly addressed the school's strengths at all--only mentioned the school's name once, in the last paragraph.

Concerns: I have a B.F.A, and I didn't take much math in college.

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, UC Berkeley, Columbia, Yale, Penn, Duke, Cornel, NYU, Brown, Northwestern, Stanford, U Chicago, U Michigan

Type of Undergrad: Economics, South American University. Master degree in a top masters program in South America

Undergrad GPA: GPA down here is weird. Let’s say that I averaged B+ in undergrad and A- as graduate, but don’t use it for comparison.

GRE/TOEFL: 800Q/570V/3.5AWA. TOEFL: 106

Math Courses: Typical undergrad courses + Measure theory (A-) + Dynamic Programming (A-) + Graduate Probability + Graduate Statistics + Topology (A-)

Econ Courses: Typical Undergrad courses + 4 graduate macro theory courses (one of them with feynmann kac, Ito & all that jazz), 5 graduate Micro theory courses

Letters of Recommendation: One of a visiting professor from the US, Two from Masters degree professors who have a PhD from top10 schools in the US, one additional from a professor in my undergrad university who knows me very well and, when available a fifth letter from a star professor in statistics, who teach in SA in the northern summer

Research Experience: 3 years as an RA in behavioral and experimental economics.

Teaching Experience: Lots of TA. 6 years (from almost the very beginning) in micro courses in a public university, 3 years in a wide variety of courses in a private university and 1 year in the masters degree. (anyway, I was told it doesn’t count more than at the time of offering you a TAship)

Research Interests: Game Theory, Networks

Statement of Purpose: What can I say. An SOP. Hope it was good.

Applying to: Caltech, UW, WUSTL, UCSD, Cornell, BU, UT-Austin, PSU, ASU

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Mathematics, one of the best in my country

Undergrad GPA: 3.35 (it is hard to get it: the graduation average is 2.78)

Type of Grad: M.A Economics (one of the other best :)

Grad GPA: 3.87

GRE: 800Q / 400V / 3.5AWA. TOEFL: 101 (R:27 L:27 S:22 W:25 )

Math Courses: Undergrad: Calculus I-II-III (BA), Real Analysis I-II (CB-DC!!!), Linear Algebra (AA), Algebra I-II (AA-BA), Statistics (BA), Probability (BA), Differential Eqns (AA), Calculus of Variations (AA), Matrix Theory(BB), other courses like Numerical Analysis-Mathematical Logic-Discrete Math I,II-Coding Theory are ranging between AA and BB.

Grad: Math for Econ (A-)

Econ Courses: Undergrad: Intro-Intermediate Micro (AA-BA), Intro-Inter-Advanced Macro (AA-BA-BA), Mathematical Statistics I-II(AA), Econometrics I-II (AA-BA)

Grad: Macro I-II (A), Econometrics I-II (A), Micro I-II(A-, B+), Time Series (A), Independent Study about econometrics and Time series (A)

Other Courses: U/G: Lots of German and French Courses, lots of Physics and Chemistry, and Seminar Course where I presented my (some kind of) undergrad thesis (or graduation project)

Grad: Financial Markets and Institutions (A), from the Industrial Eng. department Stochastic Processes and their Applic. (Intro and Adv) (non-credit)

Letters of Recommendation: 4 professors. A good reference (I hope!) from my thesis advisor but he is from Europe, thus not known much in US. Others are moderate ref. letters.

Research Experience: Master thesis and undergrad thesis.

Teaching Experience: Undergrad & Grad Econometrics I-II TA (4 semesters), instructor in the math camp for the 1st year master students.

Research Interests: (both theoretical and applied) Econometrics, Time Series, Macroeconometrics and Monetary Economics.

SOP: How my math undergrad contributed my career, explained my theoretical master thesis

Concerns: Not much research experience, bad Real Analysis grades (!), and not much known ref. letters.

Applying to: Yale, LSE, UCSD, Northwestern, UPenn, Columbia, Duke, Cornell, Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio State, Boston U, Boston College, UNC Chapel Hill, Michigan State, Washington Uni St.Louis, UNC State Raleigh, Pompeu Fabra, Tinbergen, Carlos III

In: Ohio State (waitlisted for funding)

Waitlist: Boston College

Out: Yale, LSE, Northwestern, UPenn(implicit), Columbia, Duke, Cornell, Wisconsin-Madison

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Double Major in Math/Econ. Public LAC

Undergrad GPA: A couple B’s but Phi Beta Kappa and probably Summa Cum Laude and honors in both majors

Type of Grad: None

Grad GPA: None

GRE: 800Q, 620V, 5.0AWA (only took once)

Math Courses: Standard undergraduate courses including Real Analysis and Topology. Two A’s in Real Analysis

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Standard undergraduate program with quantitative emphasis

Other Courses: Some science related to resource and environmental econ

Letters of Recommendation: 2 econ professors and 1 math professor. I had small classes and they know me so I expect that the recommendations are good

Research Experience: Paid summer science intern in mathematics researching a topic related to econometrics. Currently performing honors research applying econometrics to a resource issue

Teaching Experience: None

Other: Officer/Member of four honor societies. Partially self supporting as Head Resident of a medium sized dorm

Research Interests: Applied economics, resource and environmental issues

Statement of purpose: I applied to a small number of schools (only ones I would happily attend if accepted). I used my research in finding these schools to write a statement relating their programs to my interests

Concerns: Few. I feel prepared and am comfortable with the programs to which I’ve applied.

In: NC State Econ(no$), Ohio State ARE($$$+), Miami U (Florida) Econ ($$$+), Maryland ARE ($$$)

Out: Duke Econ

Waiting: Florida International Econ, Georgetown Econ, UNC Regional Planning.

Edited by AppliedEcon

Type of Undergrad: Unknown-International (but one of the best in the country)

Undergrad GPA: 3.27 average. 3.70 econ 3.4ish for math (top 5 in class-not mentioned but have open recommendation letter stating my generic rank as top 10%!!!)

Grad: Top 50 ranking (top 5 in econ in Europe)-M.Sc. International Financial Economics

Grad GPA: 3.5(converted, I suppose)- (2:1 degree)

Grad 2: US Uni. not ranked but PhD Econ xists. (MA Econ.)

Grad 2 GPA: 3.9/4.0 (waiting for results, but wont go below it)

PhD Courses: Macroecon (A-), Price Theory (A)

Grad Math Courses: Adv. Econometrics (B+), Linear Algebra I and II (A-), Real Analysis (Fall 2010), Topology (Fall 2010), Calculus II (Spring 2011), Functional Analysis (Spring 2011)

GRE/TOEFL: Min 760 Q- Preparing

Econ Grad Courses: Plenty-Int. Finance (A), Financial Theory (A), Development Econ. (A), global finance (A), International Monetary theory (B ),

Letters of Recommendation: I dont know, Should I get all from my US uni-or try other unis too!?

Research Experience: None.Some papers for class. 2 graduate thesis

Teaching Experience: 1 Year (international)- International Financial Markets, Business Statistics, Macroeconomics I.

Research Interests: International Finance, micro foundations of macro.

Statement of Purpose: Kind of life history, a story of struggle towards achievement of a dream.

Applying to: Yale, MIT, Columbia, NYU, Boston, JHU, Cornell, Chicago, Northwestern, UIUC, UCLA, UCSD, UVA, Upitt, UCSB, and safeties as I receive the feed back.

Edited by Alfabeta

Guest ladyinred

GPA: 3.65/4.0 undergrad

Double major: International and Global Studies/Economics minors Math/Italian

Math: Linear Algebra, Multivariate, Proofs, Real Analysis, Probability Theory, Stats

Econ: All standard econ classes + electives + PhD econometrics

GRE: 800 quant, 610 verbal

5 year bachelor/master program so am finishing MAief this year

Research: Have been working as RA for well known professor and in the process of writing a master's paper for potential publication on venture capital flows

Also financial research internship

Grades are all As and Bs.

Excellent recs

Applied to and so far REJECTED from: UCLA, Duke, Washu, Johns Hopkins, Brown, BC

Haven't heard from NYU, GW, UCSD, and UNC

Have to call schools to be told if you haven't heard you're rejected. WTF. Unbelievably rude.

Type of Undergrad: Penn State, BS Economics, BS Finance

Undergrad GPA: 3.87. Econ 3.78, Math 3.84

GRE/TOEFL: 790Q/750V/4.5 AWA.

Math Courses: Calc I (A), Calc II (A-), Calc III (A-), Matrics (A), Introduction to Real Analysis (A), Real Anaysis I (A), Discrete Math (A-), Differential Equations (B-)

Econ Courses Intro and intermediate micro and macro. International econ, introduction to econometrics, econometrics, game theory, honors seminar. (All As)

Grad Econ courses: Micro I ©, Econometrics I (B), Micro II (Spring), Macro I and II (Spring), Econometrics II (Spring)

Grad Math: Real Analysis I (deferred), Geometry and Topology I (withdrawal)

Other Courses: A bunch for a finance major- all As but one A-

Letters of Recommendation: 3 Professors at Penn State

Research Experience: None

Research Interests: None specified

Statement of Purpose: Standard. Tried to explain my lack of math courses since I decided I wanted to do econ grad school late.

Other:

Concerns: Bad grades in graduate level economics and math courses fall of my senior year.

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Chicago, Penn, UCLA, USC, UCSD, Columbia, Penn State, Carnegie Mellon