Urch Forums

work/experience for international student

preparephd

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have recommendation about how international students (who are studying in the US) should prepare their well-rounded experiences (I'm not talking about doing research at their institutions) before applying for econ grad school? It's really hard to get an internship in the US as many internships require citizenship. I have been interning with government of my country (all major macroeconomic-oriented govt agencies) for two summers including this upcoming one and I really appreciate any thoughts/comments for my next summer in 2015.

For an Econ PhD? Work experience is not required, and in fact aside from Research Assistant jobs, generally wouldn't really add much to your application. While you mentioned you aren't talking about doing research at your institution, it seems like working as an RA for a professor at your university might be the best option in your case.

In general Econ PhDs look for applicants who are very good at econ and math and have research potential, and don't really expect you to be especially well-rounded. It sounds like you are thinking about the admissions requirements for an MBA (which values well-rounded applicants and requires work experience).