Urch Forums

Should I do the AEA Summer Training Program next summer?

kevin1297

Hi,

I am currently an undergraduate at Occidental College, a top 40 liberal arts college, in Southern California, and I am considering getting a PhD in Economics. I have heard about a summer training program for economists by the AEA over the summer. Although I am working at a economic policy think tank in South Africa this summer, I am considering doing it next summer. Can anyone attest to the value of the program?

Note: They have us take classes in math, micro and econometrics, as well as work on a research paper with economists, network with economists, and learn about grad school life, admissions, and job opportunities for economists.

A link is below:

Summer 2012-2015 | RWJF Center for Health Policy at UNM

I know someone who did it. She did not have an incredibly rigorous foundation for economic analysis, but she seemed to have fun.

I think it is informative to look at the poster presentations that are given at the end of the workshop: AEA Summer Program Poster Presentations | RWJF Center for Health Policy at UNM

Some of the posters are using 2SLS and logistic regression, so it seems like you do learn stuff. But I wouldn't consider it a ticket to the top-10 or anything.

I have a student who did the program last year and found it very valuable. In addition to the program content, admission committees seem to pay attention to the list of attendees.

I would do the program next summer. This summer I'm working at the Economic Policy Research Institute as a Research Intern. It's a think tank in Cape Town in South Africa that focuses on social protection research with a heavy quantitative focus. Do you think that adcoms will like my think-tank position?