Urch Forums

Any suggestions for Top40-Top80 uni that has no TA responsibilities in the 1st year?

greg3

Hi guys! I've been trying to find a university in about top40 - top80 as my sort of insurance choice, however, I haven't managed to find any place that would offer stipend but without teaching assistant responsibilities. Are you aware of existance of any places that are a bit lower in the ranking, but which offer funding without any responsibilities in the first year? Preferably, I'm looking for something good in macro and game theory. Thank you for any suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
Most schools offer fellowships to the top incoming students, but I don't know of any that have no requirements for all students. My suggestion is to not condition on TA responsibilities and apply to programs that best fit your interests. The responsibilties in year 1 are typically quite managable, and many before you have passed comps while doing them. For instance a school in that range that is quite good in macro is emory

Most schools offer fellowships to the top incoming students, but I don't know of any that have no requirements for all students. My suggestion is to not condition on TA responsibilities and apply to programs that best fit your interests. The responsibilties in year 1 are typically quite managable, and many before you have passed comps while doing them. For instance a school in that range that is quite good in macro is emory

I do not entirely agree with this post. Having to do 2 TA assignments each term during first year and job market year is a burden. I believe that, for example, USC offers all of their students first and last year fellowships. I'm not aware of other schools in this range that do this.

Wow I was unaware of schools requiring 2 TA jobs in year 1, semester 1. All my offers were 1 and capped at 20 hours I think. However, I don't know of any place that would have this info, so I would apply to good fits and weigh your offers as they come in. As I recall USC has some really excellent placements though!