Urch Forums

Masters in Economics

bheld

Due to my lack of background I'm looking at getting a masters before applying to Ph.D programs. Right now I'm considering Denver, Iowa State, Missouri, and a few other programs like Miami Ohio, Southern Illinois, and IUPUI. What I want to know is how likely I am to get in at a top 30 program coming out of one of these masters program where I (hopefully) get good grades and take care of some math and econ shortcomings from my undergrad years. Financial aid is a big thing for me so I'm not considering programs like Duke or NYU. I got a 790Q/620V/4.0AW on the GRE and will probably take it again when I apply for Ph.D programs to boost my brutal analytical score and shoot for an 800 on the quant.

Basically I need to work my way up and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that. I didn't go to a top 10 school, I don't have an econ background, and I don't have a lot of money but I feel I can produce quality research as soon as I get the skills to do so. I just feel like I'm behind the curve and need to catch up to everybody else.

Can anybody suggest some US masters programs that can give me a shot at getting into a top school without forcing me to rob a bank to pay for it? I'd consider Canada but it's sort of intimidating to go international and I'm unsure about funding.

Schools in Canada like Queen's fund its students quite liberally and IMHO places better than the schools that you've mentioned.

If I were you, I wouldn't risk the 790. The gain in AWA (unless you can guarantee a 6.0, which no one can) will not be substantial. Also, I do not think that adcoms differentiate between 790 & 800 in GRE Q.

Also, do you have any research interests in mind ?

I don't have a lot of specific research interests yet but I could see myself doing work in labor, public, theory, health, maybe even econometrics. I don't really know for sure though. I guess that's another reason why going the masters route is attractive.

Thanks for the advice about going international. I had previously looked at UBC, Queens, etc. but sort of backed off. I might reconsider that now, especially since it sounds like funding might be more attainable than I thought.

I don't have a lot of specific research interests yet but I could see myself doing work in labor, public, theory, health, maybe even econometrics. I don't really know for sure though. I guess that's another reason why going the masters route is attractive.

Thanks for the advice about going international. I had previously looked at UBC, Queens, etc. but sort of backed off. I might reconsider that now, especially since it sounds like funding might be more attainable than I thought.

Noting on Canadian Schools, financial aid generosity ranks from most to least:

1. U of T (cost of living is much higher, though you are likely to still bank a couple grand in between tuition and living costs if you live smart)

2. McMaster (but then you have to live in Hamilton. The package is huge though, and you may bank up to 5K)

3. Queen's (low cost of living is a bonus, but you're likely to just break even, maybe bank a grand.)

4. UBC (Financial aid is substantial, but the probability of getting it is low. They are in financial crisis, so the expected value of a financial aid package is relatively subpar, IMHO. High cost of living, too.)

I haven't ranked UWO because they have a different master's program altogether. McMaster isn't a star school, but it's getting better, and it's good for things such as health and labour economics. Queen's has a few decent labour guys, and the most renowned public economist in Canada (just awarded the Order of Canada, the highest honour in the country, in fact,) so if public is a serious interest, there is no better place to go for a master's.

So right now my list is looking like this:

Queens

UWO

Iowa State

Tufts

UC-Denver

McMaster(?)

Let's say I wanted to take a shot at a top 30 Ph.D just for kicks. Do any have a reputation for variation in their admits? Cornell says they place emphasis on teaching, maybe they'll take me in since I'll have two years of experience teaching math. :p

Wisconsin has a reputation for variation in admits, as several of us are from non-PhD granting institutions. I've also heard good things about Maryland, UCLA, and Michigan regarding their willingness to accept American students from nonstandard backgrounds. And Cornell does look highly upon students with teaching experience.

Queens

UWO

Iowa State

Tufts

UC-Denver

McMaster(?)

Let's say I wanted to take a shot at a top 30 Ph.D just for kicks. Do any have a reputation for variation in their admits? Cornell says they place emphasis on teaching, maybe they'll take me in since I'll have two years of experience teaching math. :p

Queens

UWO

Iowa State

Tufts

UC-Denver

McMaster(?)

The Queen's master's places well in the top 30 Ph.D programs, so if you did well, you wouldn't just apply 'for kicks'.

The Queen's master's places well in the top 30 Ph.D programs, so if you did well, you wouldn't just apply 'for kicks'.

I meant right now in addition to the programs I mentioned. But yeah, in that situation I would be all over the top 30.

In reference to McMaster, I heard in TM that they have quite a small intake and hence is difficult to get into. Similarly, Mcgill also gets a pool of good applicants due to it's brand repute. Under these circumstances, I would just ask you to reconsider McMaster. I hope Canuck clarifies this further.

Queens

UWO

Iowa State

Tufts

UC-Denver

McMaster(?)

UC-Denver doesn't usually offer funding to first semester students. You'd get in no problem, but it would likely be a semester before you got a TA or RA job.

That said, the profs are cool and Denver is great. Top 30 would be very attainable, IMO.

Also, the department will allow students interested in going for a PhD to take math courses for econ elective credit, which is nice.

That said, the profs are cool and Denver is great. Top 30 would be very attainable, IMO.

I don't know much about masters programs, but Denver would be a pretty cool city to call home.

Also, the department will allow students interested in going for a PhD to take math courses for econ elective credit, which is nice.

Depending on your math background, this could be extremely helpful in getting a solid PhD admit in the future. I don't know which other programs do this (I think Duke, but it's a expensive masters program).

Doesn't that sound a bit optimistic ? :hmm:

An undergraduate from UC Denver would have a good shot at a top 30 school if they did well and took the right classes. So I don't see why someone with a masters from there shouldn't be able to get a top 30ish offer.

bheld, you had mentioned Miami (Ohio) in your original options. I'm in undergrad there right now and I remember one of my advisers telling me that our placements in Phd programs were on the same level as Duke and Northwestern. Although I don't know what exact position that implies. Also I have taken classes from the profs who are teaching the macro and the quantitative methods for economics that you would take. They are both really good, esp Dr. Roberson.

• 4 weeks later...
Will 1 year programs give me enough time to get enough grades in to Ph.D adcoms or will I have to end up waiting another year anyway so that all my grades can be considered?

I'm still wondering about this. Is 1 year enough with the background I have?

Ok I just looked at your profile from roll call. It is a bit low on classes......any masters program will be what you make of it....my masters dept is ranked pretty darn low (though I like my dept and the faculty are friendly and informative.....and most went to good PhD programs...(Yale, Minnesota, UCSD, Texas A and M back in their glory days)..though it was quite awhile back) and we put someone in Virginia and I plan on going someplace on par or even above the ranking of Virginia.....If youre doing a one yr program you would be able to get fall grades in......it just may be difficult to take math classes with your required econ classes.....actually, I had a really similar math background to yours coming out of undergrad and Ive basically been taking half math half econ throughout the length of my program and will be finishing up in 2 yrs.