Urch Forums

-ing vs -ed

jennyboo

I'm doing a practice test, and there is this sentence: Although originated in Tropical Africa, watermelon is now cultivated all over the world.

The right answer should be: Although originating in... The key says that is because Watermelons is the subject of the verbal originating, but I really can't understand. Can someone please explain me? Thanks

Well first of all, this question is from the paper toefl, not IBT, so if you are taking IBT you will not see this grammar question.

"Although originated in Tropical Africa," is an adverb phrase. That means it is an adverb clause that has been reduced. The full clause is: "Although it originated in Tropical Africa,".

An adverb clause has 1) Adverb clause connector (although), 2) Subject (it), 3) Verb (originated)

An adverb clause can often be reduced. Usually this involves removing the subject when it is obvious what the subject is. However, English requires that every clause have a subject and verb, so if you just take out the subject you have to change the verb to something else. You cannot have a "normal" verb sitting around with no subject!

So what you do it change the verb to a PARTICIPLE. A participle is a "part" of a verb, not a complete verb. There are two kinds of participle "present" and "past". Regular present-participles end in "-ing" and regular past-participles end in "-ed".

If you reduce an adverb clause that is in ACTIVE VOICE, you remove the subject and change the verb to a present-participle. If you reduce an adverb clause that is in PASSIVE VOICE, you remove the subject and change the verb to a past-participle.

In this case "Although it originated in Tropical Africa," is in active voice. So we take away "it" and change "originated" (active voice, simple past-tense) to "originating" (present-participle).

Tino

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Great explanation TONI.one more question - what about the second case?

i mean if we have a sentence "Although it has been originated in Africa",can i reduce the adverb clause(as you mentioned above) and write the sentence as:

"Although (or without this transition) originated in TroPical Africa ...."?

Thanks in advance!!

No and Yes. Your example cannot be dont because your use of passive voice here is incorrect. Let me use another example please:

Although it was built in 1780, the building still stands. OR:

Built in 1780, the building still stands.

Or to use a "regular verb"

While it was finished is 1780, the building still stands. OR:

Finished in 1780, the building still stands.

Tino

PS: Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

PPS: You can keep the ADVERB CLAUSE CONNECTOR too, it is also ok:

Although built in 1780, the building still stands.

While finished in 1780, the building still stands.