Urch Forums

Questions from Reading 1996/08

mishum2000

Crows are probably the most frequently met and easily identifiable members of the native fauna of the United States. The great number of tales, legends, and myths about these birds indicates that people have been exceptionally interested in them for a long time. On the other hand, when it comes to substantive -- particularly behavioral -- information, crows are less well known than many comparably common species and, for that matter, not a few quite uncommon ones: the endangered California condor, to cite one obvious example. There are practical reasons for this.

Crows are notoriously poor and aggravating subjects for field research. Keen observers and quick learners, they are astute about the intentions of other creatures, including researchers, and adept at avoiding them. Because they are so numerous, active, and monochromatic, it is difficult to distinguish one crow from another. Bands, radio transmitters, or other identifying devices can be attached to them, but this of course requires catching live crows, who are among the wariest and most untrappable of birds.

Technical difficulties aside, crow research is daunting because the ways of these birds are so complex and various. As preeminent is generalists, members of this species ingeniously exploit a great range of habitats and resources, and they can quickly adjust to changes in their circumstances. Being so educable, individual birds have markedly different interests and inclinations, strategies and scams. For example, one pet crow learned how to let a dog out of its kennel by pulling the pin on the door. When the dog escaped, the bird went into the kennel and ate its food.

26 The word "them" in line 10 refers to

(A) crows

(B) subjects

© intentions

(D) researchers

My answer was D, but the key one is C. Moreover in the 27th question of the passages one of the answer choices was...

27. According to the second paragraph, crows are poor subjects for field research for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:

(A) They can successfully avoid observers (this thing is stated and is correct)

(B) They are hard to distinguish from one another

© They can be quite aggressive

(D) They are difficult to catch

So, in the 27th question of the text we can see that the crows successfully avoid observers (this is what the author states). Since this choice is correct and the answer of the 27th question is C (this information is not stated) I think this confirms the option D for the 26th question

What do you think guys ?

29. According to the third paragraph, which of the following is true about crows?

(A) They seldom live in any one place for very long

(B) They thrive in a wide variety of environments.

© They have marked preferences for certain kinds of foods

(D) They use up the resources in one area before moving to another

My answer was B, but the key answer is A.Why ?

32. Which of the following statements is supported by the passage?

(A) Crows have relatively long lives.

(B) Crows have keen vision

© Crows are usually solitary

(D) Crows are very intelligent.

I answered D, but the key answer is B. After the last example of the text and the whole passage I think this is the statement that the author supports. He talks about the way that crows are "clever", they are easily adaptable, they cannot be caught easily and they have fooled a dog in order to ate its food.

What do you think guys ?

Thanks,

Michael.

What do you think guys ?

Michael,

I agree with you.

Re 26 I would say none of the options are logical. Careful reading of the paragraph shows that them = "other creatures".

Re 29 only B makes sense.

Re 32 I would agree with you on D. We are not told they have "keen vision". We are told they are "keen observers", which is not the same thing.

Michael

I agree with you and wasleys on all counts. I have one thing more to add:

26 The word "them" in line 10 refers to

(A) crows

(B) subjects

© intentions

(D) researchers

My answer was D, but the key one is C.

The key answer does't make sense at all actually. How can crows or anyone avoid intentions of others? It is ridiculous.

My advice: Ditch this answer key! :D

This interesting passage reminded me of a video that I saw some months back. It illustrates the spirit of this passage in a very funny way.

Download the video here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/feature/data/crow/

The direct video link for the download is here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/feature/data/crow/weirmovie.mov

The research paper is here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/297/5583/981

Its very surprising that I knew exactly what this passage talks about, beforehand! :)

Good Luck with your test Michael! You are going to get a 300! \m/

Dingus

Dingus, thank you for your nice words. Unfortunately I cannot get rid of that answer key because I make some mistakes sometime....I'm not perfect though.

But lets hope I will get a score as close as possible to 300 :).

God help !

P.S. I've seen that movie and it's a funny one :). It reveals the crow's intelligence :D.