Urch Forums

Do speaking tests from ETS reflect your ability?

knok

Hi everyone,

Do any speaking tests from ETS reflect your ability? What would you do? Keep taking it? Keep failing it?

I spent 3.5 years to take TSE for 28 times. I failed all of them. I requested half of them for rescoring. Almost all of them were 40 after rescoring. I took all the English courses available for TSE. I will take TOEFL iBT a few more times. If I cannot make it, I will quit taking it and start to file class action lawsuit as my professors suggested. This test causes emotional torture and does not reflect my speaking ability at all. I believe that my speaking ability improved significantly after taking many ESL courses. I went to American universities for 7 years. I, of course, successfully received degrees from accredited universities.

Then, ETS told me that I could not communicate effectively in academic environment because I did not get a 50 from the TSE. Why does TSE or TOEFL iBT become only the requirement to show our English speaking ability?

Why is abusive monopoly prosperous?

Answer:

Because you keep your mouths shut.. :mad:

Diane and Derlin,

Thank you for the messages. I also got 45 in the June test and 40 on the rescoring of the April test as usual.

What is suspicious to me is that they said that they did not receive my rescoring request 2 weeks ago. I did not even fax it again. To my surprise, I got a score report of the rescoring on the April test. I did not request the May test and June test because I will get 40 on all of them if I request for rescoring. I kept all of them, the letters notifying rescoring results, new scores after rescoring, 40s.

I try to register TOEFL iBT. What infuriated me the most was that all the tests start at 6 pm. and 7 pm. If you start taking the test at 7 pm., it will finish around 12 am. By that time, how can you walk out from the test center to the parking lot? The available test centers in my areas are not safe like that in Boston.

I also don't believe that human brain will function well after 9 pm. You are going to fall asleep.

All of us are professionals and highly educated people. What do you think?

All of these issues were consulted with my medical professors, my ESL teachers, and TSE tutors. They all said the same, "This organization is "Money Making Machine"."

If Americans take this test, things will be totally different. Believe me.

i know how it would be .....in desperation.......as i also experienced it. i too failed tse for more than 15 times, like u,,,,,,,but what to do.....still i am living with HOPE on GOD.

don't wory, u r there when we r in troble.........

the same applies to u too.............

we r there ...when ur in desperation......

bye

knok

Rani,

Thanks for your support. There is always a solution to a problem.

God bless us all. I got at least 5 people now to join a class action lawsuit. I believe that the number will be higher and higher.

Knok

The new iBT scores speaking only from 1-4..... so I think you might have a better chance at that. Have you tried the iBT? If so, what was your speaking score?

You do not need other people to make a class action, although it helps. You just need to show there a lot of people who are in the same situation (class) as you, and you then make your case on your and their behalf..... I think the question the lawyer will ask you is "What are your damages?"

I mean, just to make an arguement, if I was the judge I might say:"This test is a choice, you do not have to take it. You take it because you choose to. If the test is flawed, why do you take it again and again? What is it that you want? A refund?"

Just offering advice.....

Tino

the toefl-ibt and/or TSE are not a choice it is the only one recognize by some organnization.... Like Pharmacist and Physical therapy... we don't have choice not to take it... yes, it is a choice in some proffesion like nursing but not pharmacy or Physical therapy...

just an advise Tino... dont be a judge....

Me and some other members here are not here to have a refund... we take the toefl-ibt and /TSE because we need to practice the profession that we went to school for...

Sorry Tino but.. maybe you can realize that we are taking this exam and doing all the things like taking ESL courses... buying books from ETS and other review material so that we can get the score we want...

You know If only TSE has a value in The stocks ... I will buy a stock because I know that I will always make a profit...

Test takers like me have invested not only money but most specially our time and effort...

So please Tino don't say that we are here for refund... and please don't try to be a judge .... let the judge and lawyers do their job...

For Knok... I will support you in anyway I can...

I mean, just to make an arguement, if I was the judge I might say:"This test is a choice, you do not have to take it. You take it because you choose to. If the test is flawed, why do you take it again and again? What is it that you want? A refund?"

Just offering advice.....

Tino

rpt2be,

Thank you for the reply. Great reply. I was shocked to know that you have lived in Canada for 15 years and finished from the best university there.

Yes, we have to do what we have to do. My mom told me that.

I'll have iBT on July 15 at 6 pm. and July 29 at 10 am. Let's see if I can read from the screen of the computer in early 1990's. Last iBT, it kept blinking, shriking, and fleckling. Man..:mad:

Good luck.

rpt2be,

You misunderstand me. I was simply taking the point-of-view of a judge who would be arguing against you. I was not stating MY opinion.

I am not and did not judge anyone.

I was merely commenting on the counter arguements to a class action lawsuit against ETS. To properly prepare for such an action you need to fully and completely understand the counter arguements. It does not mean that you agree with them, but you need to know them deeply so you can defend your position.

Actually, if you have read any of my posts on TOEFL, you will see that I strongly feel that ETS has done a bad job in delivering the TOEFL, and the test takers suffer unfairly.

My point is that in a lawsuit you have to show how you were damaged... how you lost money/property because of the other party. Technically the TOEFL is optional. I know that you have to take it to get certain licenses, but ETS's lawyers will surely claim that taking the TOEFL, indeed becoming a pharmacist in the USA, all of that is a choice. After all, you could choose a career or country that does not require TOEFL. So then, what are your damages? The cost of the test of course, but what else? Time and effort preparing? Cost of preparation? To have a good suit money-wise you would want to sue for all of that.... but be prepared, ETS will probably argue that they are not responsible for that.... So my point here was a that such a lawsuit may simply result in refunds. But still, that could be a lot of money in a class-action. Imagine a 50% refund for everyone in the world who took iBT in the last 16 months!!!

Anyway, I think a lot fo you who had trouble with TSE will have a pleasant surprise with iBT. I know of a number of cases that have scored much better on iBT than TSE...... so good luck!

Tino

• 2 years later...