Urch Forums

Do marks encourage students to study?

ouranous

Although many people negate the role of marks in a student's study process, I believe that marks are among the most important motives that encourage students to study.

Firstly, marks are the crucial standard to show a student's capability. In almost cases, the chance to get admission from a university of a student who have high GPA is bigger than the others. Therefore if a student wants to study in a high quality university in order to warrant for his future life, he will have to study diligently to strive for good marks. This means marks help students study harder.

Secondly, marks create competitive enviroment in class. Often students study harder if they have a target such as their friends. Without marks, there will be nothing to evaluate student, also to show who is better than whom and students cannot set a target to try. Consequently, marks are needed to stimulate students to study.

Lastly, marks help students' parents know how well their children are doing at school. If a student does not study hard, it often reflects in low marks. Through these marks, his parents will find a solution to the problem such as preventing him from many distracting things like TV or games in time and make him concentrate on his study more. Accordingly, marks encourage students to study indirectly.

Basing on these reasons, I think there is no doubt that marks encourage students to study.

I think it is a good essay. But if you have add more in the conclusion like summing up your reasons, it would nice. Following below is my suggestion.

Do marks encourage students to study?

Although many people negate the role of marks in a student's study process, I believe that marks are among the most important motives that encourage students to study.

Firstly, marks are the crucial standard to show a student's capability. In almost cases, the chance to get admission from a university of a student who has high GPA is bigger than the others. Therefore if a student wants to study in a high quality university in order to warrant for his future life, he will have to study diligently to , (strive)striving for good marks. This means marks help students study harder.

Secondly, marks create competitive environment in class. Often students study harder if they have a target such as their friends (to compete for grades). Without marks, there will be nothing to evaluate students, (also) or to show who is better than whom. and also students cannot set a target to try.( confused. Is it easier for students to evaluate themselves?) Consequently, marks are needed to stimulate students to study.

Lastly, marks help students' parents know how well their children are doing at school. If a student does not study hard, it often reflects in low marks. Through these marks, his parents will find a solution to the problem such as preventing him from many distracting things like TV or games in time and (make) making him concentrate on his study more. Accordingly, marks encourage students to study indirectly.

Basing on these reasons, I think there is no doubt that marks encourage students to study.

• 2 weeks later...