Urch Forums

Which book/s are you currently reading ?

Illusionz

I thought this might be a good place to check out what fellow TMians are reading, and discuss and share our opinions of various authors worldwide so here goes...

I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude (this book is BRILLIANT- I'm a bit confused by the names though :p) and To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee (also remarkable in its simplicity and poignancy) and finally The men who killed Gandhi by Manohar Malgaonkar (makes any modern day thriller look cheap in comparison)

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manasi, To kill a mockingbird is ostensibly fiction but actually based heavily on fact. I think it won a Pulitzer and was also made into a movie starring Gregory Peck.

Its a story of life and racial prejudice witnessed through the eyes of a child in Alabama. Here's a summary of the film.

I haven't read Jhumpa Lahiri yet...can you recommend any good books by her?

The men who killed Gandhi is all non-fiction. Few people know that in the plot to kill Gandhi, there were FIVE conspirators- Nathuram Godse, Gopal Godse, Vishnu Karkare, Madan Lal Pehwa and Digambar Badge. Even fewer know that these people tried once and failed to assassinate him. The Delhi police actually captured one of them (Pehwa) and had a fairly good idea of what was going on. Ironically, it was Gandhi's insistence on devotees not being frisked and arms not being allowed inside the Birla Bhavan that led to his death...the book is all about these five people- their lives, their occupations, their troubles, their unquenchable hatred for one man which united them and finally the manner in which they executed their plan. Phenomenal book and very well researched by Malgaonkar.

Grade Zero, I enjoyed reading The DaVinci Code- one of the few decent fiction books to hit the market last year. Are the others comparable?

Ish, that's one book I loved (He fixes radios by thinking!!:D ). Have you read the Feynman Lectures on Physics and Six Easy Pieces and Six not-so-easy pieces? They are really incredible...

• Like 1

right now i'm fascinated by Dan Brown....just finished his The DA Vinci Code...i recommend it whole heartedly...(inspite of me not having penchant towards thrillers i liked it...ts good)...

read in todays TOI...."Trace" by Patricia Cornwell has knocked The Da Vinci Code off the no.1 spot....so looking forward to it next if i feel like reading thriller again...at the moment not sure:)

then i've read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead...cool..loved it..

Jane Austen's Emma...Sense & Sensibilities....n last which none of austen's readers miss...Pride & Prejudice....they all are nice when one is travelling...cool n easy...not much of strain:)

then...i am an avid reader of non fiction....Robert Schuller tops the list....i've read his all..."tough times never last, tough people do!!"......"believe in God who believes in you"

"success is never ending n failure is never final"...they all are nice...but it depends more upon the situation one is in while one is reading the book... may be one likes it or not...:)...in addition to schuller i've read Napolean Hill n our very own(being an indian)Shiv Khera a lot...

n last but most important...i just cant lay my hands off from reading my all time favourites...THE ARCHIES n CHICKEN SOUP FOR TEENAGE SOUL .....i just adore them:)

....i read & reread them...ts so much fun...

neways...thanks illusionz...ts so nice of you to introduce such a wonderful thread

....i loved every bit of sharing my views on reading here....

n i sincerely hope that more n more of our fellow Tmians come forward n share their respective views on the topic above....t'll be really nice.....:)

cheers!

illusionz, the other books i have read each at least 3 times each (excuse bad grammar)

they are all very very good

actually, i thought that the davinci code was NOT, i repeat, was NOT, his best book. in my opinion, Angels and Demons was better :p

Deception Point is very good and has enormous plot twisters and a shocking ending. you must read it!

Digital Fortress is good as well and has a lot to do with cryptology and code-breaking.

:tup:

Hi

Has anyone read "Gone with the wind" , I think it's a good book.

I like the books "To kill a mocking bird " and Ann Frank's diary too.

It's really amazing that a girl of her age has written with such maturity.

Illusionz ur description about the men who killed Gandhi has really got me interested in that book.

This is a nice thread really . Got to know about interesting books to read during my vacations.:)

i never could finish that book random thoughts!! Do you like it? :)

Well, I havent read those other books you mentioned Illusionz. I started with the second part of the Feynman books, "further adventures of a curious character" ,i think its called..and loved it. I found the first volume just last week. Its great :)

Yes prd, GWTW is a good read. Have you read Scarlet? I've heard its sort of an unofficial sequel..am i right?

GWTW was a masterpiece...what character development- and Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in the movie ...oh mannnnnnn :love:

Dogmatix, I checked out Guns, Germs and Steel...I agree with you seems like a must read.

Grade Zero, I'm experiencing deja vu after reading the plot for Angels and Demons :D ...It seems to be virtually identical to The Da Vinci Code...isn't it the same old story repackaged?

Yes Ish there is a sequel Scarlett by a different author. But i have not read it yet though really curious about it...I haven't seen the movie either :(

Just now realized that i dint respond to the title of the thread. I have currently started reading the book "The Alchemist" by Paulo coelho

I've just started "Guns Germs and Steel" Very good so far.

I'm also reading Studs Terkel- Hope Dies last- Very interesting stuff, especially regarding the US in the 50's...and today.

and ALSO, because I am a nerdlet

Graham Greene's Journey without Maps Incredible writing, immense ability to capture human emotion and "personality" without degrading it into mush or sentimentality...

Manasi, To kill a mockingbird is ostensibly fiction but actually based heavily on fact. I think it won a Pulitzer and was also made into a movie starring Gregory Peck.

thats right.. I remember reading about it some time back.

Its a story of life and racial prejudice witnessed through the eyes of a child in Alabama. Here's a summary of the film.

I now have an idea what it is about. Thanks for the summary link.

I haven't read Jhumpa Lahiri yet...can you recommend any good books by her?

I liked reading "The Namesake". It is mostly about "Googol" a bengali and the entire novel is weaved around the mystery surrounding his name.

I have not yet read the prize winning "Interpreter of Maladies".

The men who killed Gandhi is all non-fiction. Few people know that in the plot to kill Gandhi, there were FIVE conspirators- Nathuram Godse, Gopal Godse, Vishnu Karkare, Madan Lal Pehwa and Digambar Badge. Even fewer know that these people tried once and failed to assassinate him. The Delhi police actually captured one of them (Pehwa) and had a fairly good idea of what was going on. Ironically, it was Gandhi's insistence on devotees not being frisked and arms not being allowed inside the Birla Bhavan that led to his death...the book is all about these five people- their lives, their occupations, their troubles, their unquenchable hatred for one man which united them and finally the manner in which they executed their plan. Phenomenal book and very well researched by Malgaonkar.

hmm.. sounds interesting to read.

Ish, that's one book I loved (He fixes radios by thinking!!:D ). Have you read the Feynman Lectures on Physics and Six Easy Pieces and Six not-so-easy pieces? They are really incredible...

I havent read them yet..

Grade Zero, I'm experiencing deja vu after reading the plot for Angels and Demons :D ...It seems to be virtually identical to The Da Vinci Code...isn't it the same old story repackaged?

yes, I felt somewhat the same with "Deception point" and "digital fortress"..the plot is almost similar..

I loved reading " The davinci code" as a thriller. Shall be completing "Angels and demons" this week.

The Monk who sold his ferrari by Robin S Sharma

this is a good book..but I never got to complete it..

this is turning out to be a nice thread with discussion on many interesting fiction and non fiction books...:)

I liked reading "The Namesake". It is mostly about "Googol" a bengali and the entire novel is weaved around the mystery surrounding his name.

I have not yet read the prize winning "Interpreter of Maladies".

Right..thanks for this...I have a copy of The Interpreter of Maladies lying around but somehow never got around to reading it :p

Anybody a fan of Ayn Rand..

You betcha!!! Have you read The virtue of selfishness ?