Urch Forums

Which ranking to follow

Acfountingphd

Look at what their professors work on, can you see yourself working on these topics? If yes, then check their placements: can you see yourself working at one of these schools?

i think fit with a program/advisor is much more important than program ranking. I’d rather be at the 30th ranked school with the perfect advisor that feeling lost in a top 10. Your goal is to do the best work you can, so figure out what you need to achieve that. The rankings are imperfect signals

I wrote a detailed post on rankings awhile ago. For accounting, I would use the BYU rankings for whatever subfield interests you. Those still aren't perfect, but they are as good as it gets from a rankings site.

Also, what is your purpose? Finding programs to apply to? Deciding between programs? Something else?

Hi all,

I have been having a hard time to think about accounting schools ranking. Jindal and BYU give quite different rankings for colleges, how should I go about it?

How to make judgments about accounting departments vs schools?

Mostly interested in deciding between programs, how to think about which program to go to, applied to a bunch of colleges, now it is getting difficult to think about which to shortlist.

Can I see the ranking post? Where would it be?

I wrote a detailed post on rankings awhile ago. For accounting, I would use the BYU rankings for whatever subfield interests you. Those still aren't perfect, but they are as good as it gets from a rankings site.

Also, what is your purpose? Finding programs to apply to? Deciding between programs? Something else?