Urch Forums

GMAT 730, should I retake?

phd2020

Hi all,

I'm applying this year for Quant Marketing or Marketing Strategy, and I took the GMAT a long time ago (4.5 years) and got 730 (Q50, V40). My profile is not too good, with mediocre UG GPA (unis in my country have very harsh grading tbh) and better grad GPA (Near 4.0 in the US). My target school is around top 20-30, and I'll only apply to 1 or 2 top 10 (just to tell myself I tried :) ). Do you guys think retaking my GMAT to get it up to 51 Q is worth it?

I don't think it's worth retaking the GMAT. As long as it's still valid, you should be ok (I remember GMAT scores have a validity of 5 years, I don't remember if they should still be valid by the time of application, application deadline, enrollment or something else).

730 is a great score, and improving from 50Q to 51Q shouldn't make much of a difference. With a score like that, I think schools will not be concerned with the GMAT anymore, and they will focus on the other parts of your application.

Please remember that top 20-30 is typically very competitive, and you said your profile isn't too good. Applying widely is usually a good strategy.