Urch Forums

Management PhD Seeker, Faced Rejection, BUT WON'T QUIT!!!!

CDARK

DEGREE: Major Bussiness, Minor Accounting

GPA: 4.0 (Small Virgina Undergrad School)

GRE: 730 Math, 640 Verbal

WORK: 2.5 Years with a financial services group.

TEACHING: I've actualy taught part time for one class at my old college (Intro to Business)

AWARDS: Lots of random achievement awards, lol. A couple are cool like best in department.

Ok, I think I applied too late and to too high up schools last time... I'm definatly not giving up, though!!!!

One school I applied to gave me an application defferment to the 09 year, so I think I MIGHT be ok, but it's a small school, and nothing is sure.

I would really like to make it to South Carolina for personal reasons... Do you think I'm fit for that? I'm taking some classes at a local university while still working to shore up some of my weaknesses too. I'm also tutoring this fall and spring.

Do you think I have a shot? Do you think I should start applying again? I don't really care if I don't get a great PhD. I just want SOME Phd ^_^

Oh, and do most schools my recommenders resend letters if I applyed last time around? I don't want to bug them if I don't have to!

DEGREE: Major Bussiness, Minor Accounting

GPA: 4.0 (Small Virgina Undergrad School)

GRE: 730 Math, 640 Verbal

WORK: 2.5 Years with a financial services group.

TEACHING: I've actualy taught part time for one class at my old college (Intro to Business)

AWARDS: Lots of random achievement awards, lol. A couple are cool like best in department.

Well, I'm aiming for somthing like South Carolina (personal reasons). I think I aimed too high and applied too late last year. You think I have a shot at getting somwhere? I don't need much prestige.

So I get started applying again?

Ok, here are some insights for your orfile.

1) They will contingently require your supervisors to resent their rec letters.

2) Your GRE Math is too low for PhD in Finance. Even low tier schools require 800 Quantitative School. Your verbal is ok.

Beyond taking classes, I would suggest you to do some research. It might help in applications.

Best,

I applied to a bundle of schools, ranging from top to just OK. One of em is forwarding my application to 09 (I only finished that Application in Late Feb O_o) because they think I'm pretty solid.

Unfortunaly, the very first app I got out was in december. Ouch, I know. I already have a few 09 ones in, so mabey that will help.

It's a little hard to say. Maybe try taking the GRE (or GMAT) again. Since it sounds like you come from a school that won't have much of a reputation, it's more important for you to have a high standardized test score (particularly in math). Another item that you have not mentioned are the math courses you have taken. If you haven't had multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and math-based statistics, then you should take those. The other problem you might have is your LORs. It sounds like you should be able to get some solid ones, since you taught a class, but the professors at a small undergrad school might not have the publication records that would validate their recommendation. And lastly, a persuasive SOP.

Well, I don't doubt my recommenders wrote good letters for me, and I'm getting into some math classes as we speak. Do you really think a need a new GRE? I'm not aiming for top tier or anything. Schools more like LSU / Memphis / South Carolina is more of my focus.

You think after I pull down some math I'll have a good shot?

Regarding the GRE/GMAT score, I took a look at South Carolina:

Moore School of Business - Moore School of Business - PhD Recruiting Events

The average GMAT is 676 (678 for management), which equates to about the 90th percentile. Your GRE Math score is about the 80th percentile. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I think you should strongly consider retaking the GRE or taking the GMAT and scoring at around 90th on the math section.

• 2 weeks later...

So you don't think the mid ninties percentile Verbal will help much? Even at a lower school? On business week South Carolina ranked just out of thier listing. There are a few schools lower that I like as well.

I'm not aiming for the stars, just for somwhere I can learn and work up some good research.