Urch Forums

You may BLOCK me because of this!

wassal

Hello,

Some of you will think that this threat is irrelevant. I wanted to post it a month ago, but I was confusing... And I told myself "Better to be sorry than be regretted".

Anyway, what this threat is all about... What are the economist's favorite movies? They see movies, don't they?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning! I've been waiting for this movie and didn't know it have already been released.

Watched it yesterday. You can watch it on HBO On Demand (in the US at least), and they are playing it a couple of times a day (caught a bit in the morning, the rest at night).

Watched it yesterday. You can watch it on HBO On Demand (in the US at least), and they are playing it a couple of times a day (caught a bit in the morning, the rest at night).

Unfortunately, I'm not yet in the US, and the movie has not been released in my country. But thanks for the info!

I think most economists would be upset that, as the movie appears to set it up, the game where Crowe "discovers" his equilibrium doesn't have a NE in pure strategies. They all have an incentive to defect to the blonde.

Recently watched Too Big To Fail and Paul Giamati as Bernanke and James Woods as **** Fuld were priceless.

Edited by ZomgRogged
ahem...Richard Fuld

I think most economists would be upset that, as the movie appears to set it up, the game where Crowe "discovers" his equilibrium doesn't have a NE in pure strategies. They all have an incentive to defect to the blonde.

I haven't taken any game theory courses yet so my knowledge on Nash Equilibrium is pretty rudimentary, but I thought the point of that scene was that Nash was pointing out what would be best for the group (the played out fantasy where they all go for brunettes) and contrasting it with reality (everybody goes for the blonde), showing that Smith's concept of competition producing the best results for everybody was somewhat flawed.

I haven't taken any game theory courses yet so my knowledge on Nash Equilibrium is pretty rudimentary, but I thought the point of that scene was that Nash was pointing out what would be best for the group (the played out fantasy where they all go for brunettes) and contrasting it with reality (everybody goes for the blonde), showing that Smith's concept of competition producing the best results for everybody was somewhat flawed.

It is not a Nash equilibrium. Think of it as: "The proposed equilibrium is not credible." I.e., we could all say we agree to do this, but then one of us would cheat. And think about the real world: Do you ever see hot girls *not* being hit on at bars??? Of course not. If that were the case, then someone would decide to hit on them.

My favorite is Dr. Strangelove.

It is not a Nash equilibrium. Think of it as: "The proposed equilibrium is not credible." I.e., we could all say we agree to do this, but then one of us would cheat. And think about the real world: Do you ever see hot girls *not* being hit on at bars??? Of course not. If that were the case, then someone would decide to hit on them.

My favorite is Dr. Strangelove.

But isn't that the point of the scene, that competition does not produce the best result, and the NE is for everybody to charge the blonde and nobody gets her? He finds a hole in Smith's reasoning. I saw an xkcd about this that also criticized that part of the film, and I think it's missing the point of the scene.

Also, Dr. Strangelove and the Aviator are my favorites :)

Another funny thing is the movie makes it look like he came up with the solution concept of NE. Actually, what he came up with was an existence theorem for it, but I guess that's not impressive enough to laymen.

Personal Favorite: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Also, OP I disagree that you need to worry about being insufficiently cerebral and on topic on TM. We may make fun of you if you start speaking about the awesomeness of rent control and such, but I don't come to TM to just compare profiles, math classes and schools (that gets boring after awhile).

Edited by Charis

Favourite movie(s): The Godfather (trilogy)

But other "genious" movies, other than A beautiful mind, which I like are "Good Will Hunting" and "21". But many people I know don't like 21.

Other genious movies I should check?

Not 'genius' movies but definitely cerebral: The Man from Earth, Primer, Pi, Shine.

Some edgier recommendations: Martyrs, Oldboy, Dead Man's Shoes, High Tension, the original Funny Games, Irreversible, Mother, Ichi the Killer, The Chaser, The Experiment, 13 Tzameti, Mum and Dad.