Urch Forums

Profile Review

spanishnick

Hi,

I applied to PhD in Economics programs but no luck so far (0a/6r/3ir). As such, I'd like to know what I could do to increase my odds to get in next year.

I graduated in Maths with Economics (Bsc Honours) with a 2.1 from Exeter (GPA 3.3). I had medical issues before and during my studies and therefore couldn't attend more than a couple classes per year.

Got a Master in Economics and Experimental Economics from the same uni (1st class, GPA 3.83)

After that, I've worked for 4 months with JPAL, 1.5 years with IPA, 2.5 years with the Institute for Development Studies and a year with the World Bank, and should be coauthoring a couple of papers this year.

Letters of recommendation from 2 econ profs from my masters' program (7 years ago) and from a couple of political scientist from top schools (Toronto and NYU)

Unfortunately, it seems that work experience cannot compensate my low undergraduate grades from a second-tier school. Any suggestions as what I could to improve my application for next year would be more than welcome.

Thanks

is a 2.1 your Math and Econ GPA during undergrad? (Just making sure I'm understanding the situation correctly.) I would also say that your recommendation letters should mostly come from the economists you did research with during those years.

It's the UK degree classification system - it's the second highest classification possible so is consistent with about a 3.7 GPA on the US system.