Urch Forums

Which one is easier to prepare, Physics or Chemistry?

knok

Hi Erin and everyone,

1.Math I or Math II? The college that my son is applying does not require Math II. Is it going to look better if he takes Math II instead of Math I?

2. Between Physics and Chemistry, which one is easier to prepare? He got A on Physics AP 1 and AP 2. I feel that he should take Physics but we are not sure how the relationship between the SAT II test and the school course. He did not do well on Chemistry in school when compared with Physics. After reading some posts, I see that many people feel that Chemistry is easier to prepare. Could anyone comment on this please?

He is going to register for Jan 28, the same day of his Swimming Tournament Championship again. :rolleyes:

Thank you for any comment.

I think it's best to take Math II, even if they don't require it. At least that is what the counselors at my school say.

Well, you should take the test for the subject you know the best. If you just took a physics class and you did well in your class, sign up to take the SAT II physics test as soon as possible since you will still remember what you learned. Since you did not do well in chemistry, don't take it. Just take what you feel comfortable in, regardless if chemistry is easier to prep or not.

It just all depends on whether or not the college cares about the numbers or actually looks at what tests people take. Some colleges just take the highest SAT II scores and don't care what test you take to get the scores as long as they're on the approved list.

I know I took Honors Physics and the SAT II. I should have done well, but there were a lot of things on the test we didn't cover, and I bombed. If your son knows a lot of physics, then go ahead and take the physics. I hear the Chem is a lot harder, at least for my friends.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Okay, he decided to take Math I and Physics because the college that he is applying does not require Math II. He needs to pay more attention to Physics preparation. He think. Also, if college does not care whether subject students is taking, then, Math I should give a better result or score than Math II. It is too risky if he decides to take Math II and cannot do well on Math II. That may give bad impression to the admission committee.

He also recieved another comment from his friends that Math II is for Math Major- students or Engineering applications. He is going to apply for Science.

In my understanding, Math I is easier than Math II. Is it correct?

Also, can anyone give the guildlines on how to prepare for Physics please? He is studying College Physics. Is that book enough? Thank you.

Knok

He also recieved another comment from his friends that Math II is for Math Major- students or Engineering applications. He is going to apply for Science.

In my understanding, Math I is easier than Math II. Is it correct?

Also, can anyone give the guildlines on how to prepare for Physics please? He is studying College Physics. Is that book enough? Thank you.

Knok

Well, heat was my downfall on the SAT II Physics. I could do the projectile motion and magnetism and basically everything else. I would assume that if your son goes over most of the topics from college physics he should do well.

Math I is eaiser than Math II only because it covers less complex topics. I hear it's a lot like the Math section on the SAT I, but I'm not sure since most of the people I know (myself included) have only taken the Math II.

I know that Math II is usually prefered over Math I when dealing with math and engineering majors, and it's usually required, at least it is at the colleges I've been looking at. I'm not sure about science, but I would assume that if you're applying for a science major, you SAT II science scores had better be stellar.

I guess your son should ask his college counselor (unless school's already out) about which tests he should take for his intended major. But it doesn't matter because you can switch around tests anyway. He has time. The test is in late January, right? He has plenty of time to figure out which tests he wants to take and swap tests. My best advice on which SAT II Tests to take is to ask a counselor or call the colleges he's applying to.

Well, heat was my downfall on the SAT II Physics. I could do the projectile motion and magnetism and basically everything else. I would assume that if your son goes over most of the topics from college physics he should do well.

Math I is eaiser than Math II only because it covers less complex topics. I hear it's a lot like the Math section on the SAT I, but I'm not sure since most of the people I know (myself included) have only taken the Math II.

I know that Math II is usually prefered over Math I when dealing with math and engineering majors, and it's usually required, at least it is at the colleges I've been looking at. I'm not sure about science, but I would assume that if you're applying for a science major, you SAT II science scores had better be stellar.

I guess your son should ask his college counselor (unless school's already out) about which tests he should take for his intended major. But it doesn't matter because you can switch around tests anyway. He has time. The test is in late January, right? He has plenty of time to figure out which tests he wants to take and swap tests. My best advice on which SAT II Tests to take is to ask a counselor or call the colleges he's applying to.

While Math I covers easier and less advanced topics than Math II, the curve is horrendous: one wrong and your score is already below 800. Math, on the other hand, has a much nicer curve (you can get 5-6 wrong and still get an 800) -- that's why an 800 on Math IIc is only 88th percentile.

While Math I covers easier and less advanced topics than Math II, the curve is horrendous: one wrong and your score is already below 800. Math, on the other hand, has a much nicer curve (you can get 5-6 wrong and still get an 800) -- that's why an 800 on Math IIc is only 88th percentile.
So true. I got a 790 on Math II and I was 85th percentile.