Urch Forums

foreign degree holder but U.S. citizen only, question...

Recipe7

I will be obtaining my B.S. in Pharmacy from a foreign country in a short time. Soon after I will continue with the 5th year, in the meantime applying for the FPGEE. I am also a U.S. Citizen, but not a Philippine citizen (country where I am obtaining my degree).

My question is, What is the current guidelines for foreign applicants for the FPGEE who are originally U.S. citizens but not a citizen of the country where the degree was obtained? Is there an alternate method of applying since I'm not capable of obtaining a license as of now?

Another question: Do I have to take the TOEFL?

PS: I did thorough searching for my answers, but didn't find what I needed. I'm sorry if I sound like a newbie.

hi recipe 7

even if you are a US citizen ,as long as you graduated from a school of pharmacy located out of the US you have to go through FPGEE including TOEFL in order to be able to take NAPLEX and become a registred US pharmacist ...... However ,being a US citizen you do not need to go through the H1b visa procesdure in order to do your internship prior to taking NAPLEX ;

hope this is clear and helps you set up your plans for you futur career as a pharmacist good luck

Thanks for your replies you Bryan and Monika.

Thanks for enlightening me. I forgot to mention my question regarding the license. I understand throw the procedure that one must submit their license from the country of the obtained degree. I won't be able to do so since I am not a citizen of said country, so therefore will not even be able to sit for the licensure examination.

Will I still be entertained by the FPGEC without a license, just a 5 year degree?

hi recipe 7

I think that there is a misunderstanding concerning accessibility to the FPGEC exam:

being or not a licenced pharmacist in an other country does not matter at all , to be accepted to take FPGEC you must have completed a 5 years cursus in a pharmacy school out of the US and have obteined the pharmacy diploma .

in other words if your cursus ,to obtain your pharmacy diploma out of the US, was 5 years long you can take FPGEC;

good luck

Bryan,

In this guideline for applying for the FPGEE ( FPGEE Documentation guidelines | Pharmainfo.net ), it states that:

Step 2

Communicating with the FPGEC

After ECE evaluation, submit following documents to NABP (FPGEC) Documents required

Official Transcripts

Detailed information of subjects you studied(0ptional) / Courses you completed with marks/grades issued by your principal or from university in an envelope sealed by the appropriate issuing body. ( Usually all the years subjects & marks they compile together and give it to you in a sealed envelope)

*Proof of Degree :

Photocopy ofOfficial proof of pharmacy degree (convocation/degree certificate) must be signed/certified by principal of college where you graduated indicating date of degree awarded in writing in an envelope sealed by the same issuing official.

*Proof of Licence :

Photocopy oflicense and/or registration certificate must be unrestricted and certified by the appropriate government official of the jurisdiction issuing the license in an envelope sealed by the same issuing official.

It seems that they want a proof of license even if I am not capable of taking the exam in the first place.

I don't want to doubt your expertise Bryan, but I can't help but ignore this source. Is it still the case that I don't need a license from the foreign country according to you?

Thanks again Bryan, your time is much appreciated.

Hi Recipe,

I think the best thing you have to do if you are really eager to pursue your career in US, once you have completed your degree apply for ECE and FPGEC. NABP will evaluate your case (just explain to them), if ever they will decline you to sit for FPGEE due to unavailable proof of license has nothing to lose; I think they will return or refund your payment. In doing such you could get an exact answer to your question.

Wish you all the best. God bless.

Hi Recipe7,

I have just copied below some lines from the FPGEC Application Bulletin (page 18) [http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/bulletins/FPGECAppRegBulletin.pdf]:

"If you were not a citizen of the country or jurisdiction where your pharmacy degree was earned, and therefore were unable to obtain licensure and/or registration to practice pharmacy, you must submit

1. official proof of licensure and/or registration in whichever country or jurisdiction it was obtained; and

2. an official statement, issued by the appropriate government official of the country or jurisdiction where your degree was earned, confirming that you would be eligible for licensure and/or registration if you were a citizen."

My understanding is that, even if you can't get the license in the country where you got your pharmacy degree, you need to have a license/registration to submit with your FPGEC application.

If you want to be double sure call NABP.

Good luck!

My understanding is that, even if you can't get the license in the country where you got your pharmacy degree, you need to have a license/registration to submit with your FPGEC application.

I don't exactly understand what you mean by that. What license/registration would I be submitting to them in this case?

Thanks for your reply anacleto :)

hi recipe7

I understand very well your point and agree 100% with you if I concider the information on the NABP bulletin ;HOWEVER .....YOU HAVE TO CONCIDER THE REASON why they ask for this registration ....in fact NABP wants to avoid that people having had their licence voided abroad for some bad practice of pharmacy take and pass FPGEC ........what you should do is go to the board of Pharmacy of the country where you passed you diploma and ask them for an official paper (signed and sealed) explaining that you do not have a licence because it is their rule and not because you committed any crime preventing you to work as a pharmacist .

this is exactly what is stated in point 2 by anacleto 85

2. an official statement, issued by the appropriate government official of the country or jurisdiction where your degree was earned, confirming that you would be eligible for licensure and/or registration if you were a citizen."

ANYWAY as your case is different from the one of the majority you should approach a lawyer in order to help you set up your file to increase you chances of success.

good luck and keep in touch

Bryan, thanks again for your commitment to my thread.

Now I thoroughly understand what you and anacleto are explaining now.

Thanks for your inputs, I have a good idea of where I stand now, and what I have to do in the near future. I will keep you all in mind when I come up with more questions that pertain to my situation.

Thank you again, guys. Much appreciated!

Between point 1) and point 2) they say "AND" (not "or"), so the two things must occur at the same time.

You need to have a license to be eligible to sit for the FPGEC.

Again, this is how I understand the paragraph. Please call NABP to be 100% sure about it and to check if there is any waiver that can apply to your case.

Good luck!

BTW, I remember another thread where an American citizen was going through the same kind of thing (s/he graduated from a university in the Philippines as well).

Try to search for the thread (sorry I don't rememer the name of the user) in the forum and s/he could give you some more info.

I will be calling NABP in due time, anacleto. It's always good to be 100% sure.

As for the Filipino who was in the same situation, I believe this may be the thread.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/pharmacy-forum/78980-am-i-us-citizen-eligible-fpgec-if-i-graduated-philippines.html

It seems that the thread was not updated by her, nor has she been active with her account, it's been quite some time. I sent her a private message, I hope she still uses her e-mail account which is registered for this message board. *Crosses fingers*

• 1 year later...
Thanks for your replies you Bryan and Monika.

Thanks for enlightening me. I forgot to mention my question regarding the license. I understand throw the procedure that one must submit their license from the country of the obtained degree. I won't be able to do so since I am not a citizen of said country, so therefore will not even be able to sit for the licensure examination.

Will I still be entertained by the FPGEC without a license, just a 5 year degree?

Hi Recipe7

I am a student from Italy and I am in your same situation. Did you solve yours ? If yes can you tell me how ? Thanks in advance.

• 12 years later...