Urch Forums

2015 Application Sweat Thread

Econhead

I actually asked my professors before about writing samples, and one of them did say that adcoms only look at them to make sure that you can write well, and it's not that important. I guess I was a little worried about the whole "Is optional really optional?" but I think I'm going to take it by face value and not going to submit any writing sample just if it's optional. Fingers crossed!

Conversely, i think it is relatvively well known that because most programs do not ask (or allow) you to submit a writing sample that it is clear that most students are accepted without one. It follows that it should be true for all those where it is optional as well. Only those places where it is required should you expect it to place some weakly larger ammount of importance. Logically, this makes sense. If you have great potential for research this will come through in letters more so than in a paper, honors thesis, etc. similarly, your ability to write clearly, effectively, and competantly is over-weighted in anything that you are able to revise to your heart's content. So it really fails to be a good predictor of aptitude. It may be more important for one-off candidates that appear strong but are from a less-than known university or background.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem regarding transcript sizes when I applied to UNC-CH last year. Just contact the assistant to the DGS and let her know your transcript is too big. She invited me to email her a PDF copy of my transcript without worrying about the size.

Relax, this will all pass. You will soon be able to move on to panicking about admissions and rejections. Not that there's much purpose in worrying about that either.

Thought you died. When are all you first years going to post some updates????????

Thought you died. When are all you first years going to post some updates????????
I don't really post a lot anymore since there's very little useful advice I can offer to prospective applicants (not that I ever had any informed, useful advice before). I'm still around, though.

KState is a bit of an anomaly regarding program structure at the entry level compared to the other programs I applied to, so I don't yet really consider myself a bona fide "first-year" per-se. The courses in the first semester of the PhD program here are taken by all students in the MA and PhD programs of both the Econ and AgEc departments, so the first semester is more of a "gateway" semester, after which the genuine PhD courses begin for each program. Prelims for both Micro and Macro are thus almost always taken at the end of a student's second Fall, so I'm not yet overly occupied by such concerns.

I'm having a blast, though. This semester has filled in many of the gaps that were left behind by my less theoretically-rigorous MA program as well as the time I spent in marketing, so I feel a lot better prepared for PhD-level coursework than I likely would have been had I gone somewhere else and dived right into MWG. Looking back at my panicking last year about whether I got into the best program for me, I really think that such worries were misplaced and that things really couldn't have turned out any better.

I guess the only remotely useful advice I can offer to those applying this year is that worrying about your admissions isn't productive after you click "Submit," and that once you secure one funded spot you should stop worrying entirely about getting any others. Only if one gets multiple funded offers should there be any concern, and that's what I would call a good problem to have.

Anyway, my first final is in 8 hours so I probably ought to hit the hay.

Because I sent my scores to a few programs that I end up not applying to, and I don't want the school to think that I'm not reporting all of the schools that I'm applying to. Hmm am I thinking too much?

Hey dande, I just did a screen capture and then cropped out the schools I sent to-

I'm sure the adcom knows we are applying to multiple schools, but felt there's no harm in not showing where those other schools are.

Although I did show in the application that I am applying to other schools with similar research interests (knowing the professors in these schools have worked together on publications)

Good luck!!

Hey guys, I am applying to UPenn and the apply web checklist says my language proficiency test is needed even though I don't need to take TOEFL. Do you guys have the same issue?

This may not be the most helpful reply, but I did have the opposite of this problem (app said I don't need TOEFL but I do) with another school. The application platform of this school determines whether you need TOEFL or not based on how you answer some question regarding your native/primary language. So if you checked something other than English, that may be the reason. Incidentally, I emailed that other school about this and they said it doesn't matter what it says there. The adcoms will know you don't need TOEFL (if you really don't), so no need to worry. Then again, the school I'm talking about is not U Penn, so perhaps best is to email them and ask if no one else replies.

So I'm done with all my apps. I guess it's time to sit back, relax and forget about the admissions process until Feb/March. Any idea how to do that? :)

Congrats fakeo!!

Sounds like a plan, but checking this website everyday reflects that I'm neither forgetting nor relaxing.... arrrgh! lol

We aren't. Problem sets and prelims are way too much fun.

Yeah, this. I've been too busy to post much during the semester. I just finished exams, and now will get to spend winter break "relaxing" (studying for quals/comps/prelims/whatever you want to call them).

But I really love it here and I definitely made the right choice.

So I'm done with all my apps. I guess it's time to sit back, relax and forget about the admissions process until Feb/March. Any idea how to do that? :)

Find some excuse to travel. Or do something that drags you away from the computer. When you're away from the computer it is easier to think of admissions as this game that doesn't really exist in real life.

Hey guys, I am applying to UPenn and the apply web checklist says my language proficiency test is needed even though I don't need to take TOEFL. Do you guys have the same issue?

I've got the same problem. I'm international but I attended my undergrad in the US so I don't need TOEFL, but a lot of schools I'm applying to (including UPenn) says they still need my language proficiency test.

I plan on emailing them soon to ask. But if anyone else have the same issue or knows a solution to the issue, please let me know.

Uh oh, I got the first email from TOP_20 asking me clarification questions... Which means the application reviews are starting.... brace for impact!

Not to worry, after reviewing the roll call, this years applicants seem to be highly qualified and applying to a wise selection of schools. I feel there is a strong probability of many adequate results.

Edited by publicaffairsny