Urch Forums

2015 Application Sweat Thread

Econhead

I'm relatively surprised by the number of people asking for information here so close to the deadline that could easily have been asked from the universities weeks ago already (assuming it was not a late / waitlisted acceptance, but even then one should probably do some research before the 15th). Is there a particular reason for it? Should people here try to bring the point across to lurkers earlier next year?

Some people tend to work only around deadlines, especially if the task is taxing. I am one of them, though this time I finished things early as there was nothing much to think for me. Anyway it is optimal to send your decisions only by 15th April whether you are accepting or declining and offer. They would have made their decisions and before sending it in, they might be trying to rationalize it.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its more panic mode. We (at least I ) had this idea that after visiting one or reviewing something the decision will just be completely clear and make perfect sense. However, when people realize that the deadline is impending and they haven't had an epiphany of where to attend they panic. So they try to gather as much information even if its repeated information and asking all kind of questions. It lends itself for someone to say "X is clearly better than Y" or something of that nature.

The final day is coming! Good luck to you all, my friends!

For those of you on waitlists wish you get the offer you are waiting for. For those of you struggling to decide between different offers, there is not bad choice, follow your guts and don't look back.

For everybody, thank you very much for your valuable advice. You really helped me with my anxiety, my mood and my decision!

I know that this year we have had an unusually low level of posters. Still, I'm surprised by the lack of movement on this board over the last 2 days. Last year was a mad-house. I can't imagine what it was a couple years ago.

I am quite new on the forum. It looks (to me) that this year few people are getting in from waitlists. Is it the case?

Does anyone know the usual outcome when a University at which you're waitlisted asks you, leading up to the deadline, if you are still interested in an offer? I assumed it is a pretty good signal, but I have no idea how seriously to take such an email. Are they just trying to make sure their bases are covered or are they legitimately close to making an offer at that point? I guess, like all things, it probably depends on 20 variables of which I am totally ignorant.

Does anyone know the usual outcome when a University at which you're waitlisted asks you, leading up to the deadline, if you are still interested in an offer? I assumed it is a pretty good signal, but I have no idea how seriously to take such an email. Are they just trying to make sure their bases are covered or are they legitimately close to making an offer at that point? I guess, like all things, it probably depends on 20 variables of which I am totally ignorant.

Generally, people only post information after they've received this e-mail and then subsequently was accepted. So my sample is probably biased. -But based on last year's comments, this is generally a good sign that you are on a "short list" for them to make you an offer. They are genuinely considering you, and don't want to waste their time if you're not interested still. It hurts everyone if they don't know going in.

Re Lacxa: Not sure. On GC it certainly seems like fewer than in the past. This could just be an availability heuristic creeping up on me, though.

Goodluck to those waiting in these hours. Note to those that end up unlucky today: There are some cases where people receive offers in the 1-3 days after the 15th. This should happen when a program ends up undershooting, or receive an unusually large number of rejected offers by students last-minute. No way to say that it will happen, just that there is precedent.

this may seem like a strange question or maybe just a strange thought, but I've seen some people this year with flawless profiles (perfect or close to perfect GPAs in math and econ, undergrad RAs etc) not even applying to the top 10 schools. I mean, I get that's it's tough, but it makes me wonder who are these people that make it to the top 10.

I think it is terrible to had only 3 waitlisted offers and receive nothing after 15th. Well I think I am out of the game. So sad after being so close :(

Have you asked the programs?

I don't think it is rare for them to process last minute declines and send offers to waitlisted candidates a few days later. Do not lose hope it, at least without asking the Departments!!

Good luck to you!

Ok fellas,

My application process is finally over. As other before me I want to thank you all for all the comments, help and advice. This is a great community. Yesterday was an incredibly stressful day, as Duke told me early in the morning they were not likely to send offers but they were not sure. I got super anxious and scared that the Brown application got closed, but at the end, late in the afternoon the fully funded offer from Duke came and decided to go to Duke as at Brown I was going for the MA track.

Special thanks and congratulations to Econhead. Your role in this community is invaluable dude.

To the ones who did not get in on this cycle, my best wishes for next if you continue on this crazy path we are in. You will get something amazing! =)

Hugs! See ya around!

I realize this isn't the very right place where to ask.

I took TOEFL ibt in late November but haven't received a hard copy so far. Does it usually comes such a document? Or since it was ibt there is no paper score report?

I took TOEFL last july and only received my hard copy in december. I think you will receive it, but it really takes time.

I took TOEFL ibt in late November but haven't received a hard copy so far. Does it usually comes such a document? Or since it was ibt there is no paper score report?

I also took it in November. You have to select paper score though. Otherwise they will charge you when you want a hard copy. I didn't get mine and sent them a mail saying so in January when I was really getting pissed off paying 20 dollars for each application. They sent me a hard copy in no time after that. If you selected to get a hard copy you can ask them for it. Though it doesn't matter much, it is good to have it.

I took the TOEFL test this January. There would be no hard copy unless you requested and paid for the report. Information on the hard copy is identical with what you see in your online report, just with your tiny picture on the top right corner.

Does anybody know how the reimbursements work for visiting days? I sent them all the information that they asked, but i never got a response even when I followed up and asked some questions. How long does it usually take? and does your decision not to attend a program affect any of it?

Your decision should not affect it. My programs said they'd send a check by mail. Details will depend on the program. One of my programs mentioned that they send the checks at the end of the semester.

You can just send another email to whoever is in charge of that process and ask whether they received the complete forms, etc. or whether anything is missing.

Your decision should not affect it. My programs said they'd send a check by mail. Details will depend on the program. One of my programs mentioned that they send the checks at the end of the semester.

You can just send another email to whoever is in charge of that process and ask whether they received the complete forms, etc. or whether anything is missing.

Thanks! I guess I'll just have to wait then