Urch Forums

2016 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Email: The decision for your application to the Wharton Doctoral Programs is now available online.

A separate PDF: Dear (my name), Your application is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee and your application status is pending.

Is it a "decision"? Does anyone know I'm dead or still alive?

Edited by air

A friend of mine applied for penn state on Dec 20 and he just got his offer two days ago. Pretty sure I have a stronger profile, and I applied earlier. But the status is still pending.. Anyone knows what's going on?

Really? Seems a bit early by Penn State standards. Maybe there was something about him that was just a perfect fit for the program, or something.

Really? Seems a bit early by Penn State standards. Maybe there was something about him that was just a perfect fit for the program, or something.

For real. I guarantee that. PSU's mechanism is a bit different. The earliest offer they send is usually in Nov. Jan is already pretty late for them.

For real. I guarantee that. PSU's mechanism is a bit different. The earliest offer they send is usually in Nov. Jan is already pretty late for them.

Are we talking about the PhD program?

I ask, because the earliest Grad Cafe posts for Penn State econ, for the past two years, have been in Mid-February. It is a bit strange for them to accept a few people in November, like you say, and then sit on the applications for another three months.

Yes, the PhD. I saw the ad letters from several alumni, and they are all in Nov.

Are we talking about the PhD program?

I ask, because the earliest Grad Cafe posts for Penn State econ, for the past two years, have been in Mid-February. It is a bit strange for them to accept a few people in November, like you say, and then sit on the applications for another three months.

There is definitely no need to panic about Penn State yet. Last year, I was admitted on February 19th in an email from Vijay Krishna, and as far as I remember, there was a good batch of those on GC. Even if they do early admits, the main wave will come mid-February, and you will see many posts about in on GC.

Thanks fantinity! Another question: did you mention professors of the school you applied to in your SOP? I did this for all the schools I applied to, and I mention about two or three professors I want to work with at the very end of SOP. But I just read from some old posts that this is actually a bad idea.. Is this true?

There is definitely no need to panic about Penn State yet. Last year, I was admitted on February 19th in an email from Vijay Krishna, and as far as I remember, there was a good batch of those on GC. Even if they do early admits, the main wave will come mid-February, and you will see many posts about in on GC.

Everyone I've ever talked to (professors, current phds, people in adcoms) has told me to mention people I'm interested in working with or just generally interested in learning from them. I'm told it shows you know who is there, you fit there (given that there are people who you match with interest/research topic wise), and that you did your homework on this school. I've never heard of it being a bad idea!

Thanks fantinity! Another question: did you mention professors of the school you applied to in your SOP? I did this for all the schools I applied to, and I mention about two or three professors I want to work with at the very end of SOP. But I just read from some old posts that this is actually a bad idea.. Is this true?

Yes, I did it for every school. I had one sentence like "I'm interested in field xxx, and I believe interaction with professors x,y,z bla-bla-bla", only it sounded fancier.

Has anyone else had an interview with HBS? Any one want to share their experience?

if its any help, my brother went for an interview for PhD physics, said they were very nice but asked some tough questions about the direction you want to take yourself.

not sure if any of that is relevant for econ of course.

also fingers crossed to hoping some schools sending out decisions today lol

I hear you guys about the constant email checking. I'm currently supposed to be writing my master's thesis and am only taking one class this semester, so I spend my entire day in front of my computer. This enables me to check my email/ application status continuously to a very unhealthy degree. Even though I know the decisions won't be out for a few more weeks, I still compulsively check. Of course, it doesn't help that I don't want to work on my thesis and will do anything possible to distract myself from it...

Hopefully most of the decisions will be in by the end of February and after that I'll be able to get some work done. If my partner and I could just get one funded offer each from the same school, I'd be able to sleep again.

I hear you guys about the constant email checking. I'm currently supposed to be writing my master's thesis and am only taking one class this semester, so I spend my entire day in front of my computer. This enables me to check my email/ application status continuously to a very unhealthy degree. Even though I know the decisions won't be out for a few more weeks, I still compulsively check. Of course, it doesn't help that I don't want to work on my thesis and will do anything possible to distract myself from it...

Hopefully most of the decisions will be in by the end of February and after that I'll be able to get some work done. If my partner and I could just get one funded offer each from the same school, I'd be able to sleep again.

I went back on gradcafe to this time last year and some schools I had applied to were sending offers around nowish, so the slimmest of possibilities keeps my email refreshed and my phone battery low

I went back on gradcafe to this time last year and some schools I had applied to were sending offers around nowish, so the slimmest of possibilities keeps my email refreshed and my phone battery low

Yeah... I've more or less memorized the dates when people were notified last year at all the schools I've applied to (based on gradcafe). Surely, this sort of compulsive behavior can't be good for us. It's a new side of myself I've previously never really seen. I used to consider myself somewhat laid back, but I think the existence of these forums and gradcafe really enables/ encourages everyone's intense side.