Urch Forums

2016 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

Thanks EustaciaVye, you have those grad econ classes, letters from your masters, and some more research experience though. We'll see, I'd love nothing more than to have a win in the next couple weeks (last year the first OSU acceptance was Monday, January 12th, I believe).

Anyway, for anyone else constantly refreshing gradcafe, the gradcafe results alert certainly helps with anxiety (Grad Cafe Results Alerts).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks EustaciaVye, you have those grad econ classes, letters from your masters, and some more research experience though. We'll see, I'd love nothing more than to have a win in the next couple weeks (last year the first OSU acceptance was Monday, January 12th, I believe).

Anyway, for anyone else constantly refreshing gradcafe, the gradcafe results alert certainly helps with anxiety (Grad Cafe Results Alerts).

Wish I had had that last year. I was refreshing like a maniac for three straight months.

For all of you that are on pins and needles right now, I didn't get my first offer last year until April 15 at 11:30 EST, but the feeling was all the sweeter. It's a long, unpredictable process, but in the end it only takes one. Do your best to not get too high or too low as you see the results flow in over the coming months. Take a vacation (if financially feasible), visit family, exercise, and try your best to be present in the moment. Good luck!

Unrelated note: based on previous years, I expect Minnesota Applied to start making offers by the end of next week. OSU should come a week after that, and NCSU and Notre Dame should be a week after OSU (probably around 2/11, 2/12).

What about top 15? When should I start sweat, ,mid February?

An UCLA acceptance in gradcafe... Is there a troll over there?

Should be a troll. From what I know, the secretaries just organized all the materials this Monday. So unless the committee is really quick, it's very unlikely to make a final decision in 3 days.

Edited by Temporary1

I had high hopes that once I had submitted all of my applications, I'd be able to relax a bit. Clearly, this was foolish hope. If I had spent half as much time studying during undergrad as I now spend checking my email and gradcafe, I would have gotten straight A's! And this despite the fact that I know the majority of the schools I applied to won't be making any decisions until February. I can only assume it's going to get worse as we actually approach the historical notification dates. Edited by EustaciaVye

If that university is GWU, I suggest you remind your professor asap. The other day I got an email from them saying that my GRE score was missing and that I had until 1/15 (today) to send it. They emphasized that the actual deadline was 1/5, but that they were going to allow application materials to be sent until today. Not sure if this applies to recommendation letters, though.

One of my professor did not submit his letter to a University with a 5th January dead line. Should I remind him or adcom wont read it anyway?

NB: I have already 3 good letters but he used to be a lecturer there

Hi!

Where did you apply?

My advisers recommended I apply to a range of rankings. I think they are bummed I didn't YOLO it and apply to top-15s but I'm ok with it. I'm interested in Public, Labor, and Urban.

UIUC, Brown, UCD, Michigan State, Boston College, Notre Dame, GW, Syracuse (Econ & Pub Admin programs), UConn, UKY, UTK, U of Oregon, Boulder

My original list was much, much longer!

Hi, barista1234 and welcome!

We applied to several of the same schools. I also appplied to UIUC, MSU, Syracuse, UConn and U of Oregon. I consider UIUC and MSU reaches for me, You must have a much better profile than I do, however, because no one in their right mind would have encouraged me to apply to a top 15 program!

Can I ask what your top choices are.. assuming you got accepted everywhere? I would be thrilled to attend Syracuse, but unfortunately, my partner (who has also applied to PhD programs in another field) isn't too excited about the prospect. We're not willing to live apart while we get our doctorates, so if we end up being accepted to more than one school together, there will be some interesting discussions, to say the least.

Anyway, welcome again. It looks like the two of us will be sweating it out together when it comes to the historical notification dates of some of those schools.

My top-top would be Brown, UCD, MSU, and UIUC but I'm not holding my breath out for those only because they seem really competitive and I'm a chicken/don't like to hold my breath. Id be shocked/thrilled if I got into one of those! My friend works at UCD and I recently got a text that said "so and sos office is FULL of apps. You're in there!!"

Beyond those, I'd say Syracuse and ND. My BFF from my masters program is now at SU for Econ and my grad thesis adviser/letter writer went there too so I have a lot of people rooting for me to get in.

What are the common schools between you and your partner?

We applied to all the same schools (with the exception that I applied to Rice and he applied to U of Houston). The schools that we applied to that work well for me, based on my current research interests (and ability to be accepted) are: MSU, Syracuse, Georgia State, UIC, Rice, Oregon while the schools that work well for him based on his research interests and ability to be accepted are Purdue, Iowa State, NC State, UIUC, Ohio State. As you can see, our desires don't really overlap. We applied to UConn primarily because of the location (we're both from New England and both love it here) and because we were both pretty sure we'd be accepted there. He's actually already received a funded offer from UConn.

Unfortunately, it was incredibly difficult to find schools that matched both of our research interests while also being schools that we could both have a shot at being accepted to because of the difference in prestige across different grad programs at the same university The whole two body problem really adds another element of stress to the entire situation. I know some people live apart from their spouses during grad school but I just can't see doing that for 5 years. Ultimately, we'd both rather sacrifice our careers to some extent than our marriage..

At this point we're just hoping to get in to at least one school together and will attend any school that accepts and funds us both. However, if we end up being accepted to multiple programs together it will certainly cause some tension as we've applied to schools that I really want to attend, but he doesn't, and vice versa. Still, I'd feel lucky to have the opportunity to be paid to do a PhD anywhere, so I don't really have any right to complain!

You mentioned you are in a masters program currently. Is it an MA in econ? I'm also working on an MA in econ (despite the conventional wisdom on this website that US MA programs are worthless). If you have some time you should post your profile in the Roll Call, always good to have another data point!

I will keep my fingers crossed for both of you!

I finished my MS in Applied Econ a year and a half ago. I got to watch my friend sweat out his PhD app process while I sweated out the job app process. Most of my knowledge of the app/program selection/school visit process comes from him - before I found this site.

I will keep my fingers crossed for both of you!

I finished my MS in Applied Econ a year and a half ago. I got to watch my friend sweat out his PhD app process while I sweated out the job app process. Most of my knowledge of the app/program selection/school visit process comes from him - before I found this site.

I am still deciding whether this forum helps or hurts the sweat for me. On one hand, it has really helped set my expectations and my school choice. But on the other hand, a forum filled with PhD applicants worrying about their applications doesn't help...:torn: