Urch Forums

Is Johns Hopkins worthwhile to go?

jollydog

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

filroz, I'm sure israelecon was not being arrogant. It's just a known fact that all three of the Washington Schools (GWU, Georgetown, JHU) are much better suited for policy than academia.

University of Maryland and George Mason are both closer to Washington than JHU.

since i see that several TMers have understood what i said differently than what i intended, i understand my original post was not written in a clear way. so,i edited my original post so that my intention would be clearer. i apologize if i offended anyone, but i think that anyway by now the misunderstanding has been cleared up and its clear that that was not my intention.

For what it's worth, a person I know who graduated from JHU feels that the program has declined somewhat from its heyday. As for the appropriateness of the program to DC policy institute employment or WB, etc., the closest contender to JHU might be Maryland. I see the programs as basically equivalent but Maryland might have a slight edge.

Not mean to offend people who have been there and actually I didn't apply for JHU. Just curious about the feeling of you guys on this university. On the one hand, it seems that most of the people on this board only care about the top 15, where JHU is not in and rarely mentioned. On the other hand, JHU perhaps has the most confusing ranking compared to others. So, how do you feel about it? Is it in top 30 or even top 50? Is it a place worthwhile to go? Can somebody having the same curiosity as me help me make a poll? I tried but it seems doesn't' work.

I said this many time, and I will say it again.. rankings don't matter. The question you should be asking yourself is not whether JHU is top 30 but whether it gives you the resources to accomplish your life goals. What gets you a job in the academia is the ability to write publishable research. So, you should be asking yourself whether they have talented mentors who work in your area of interest and whether the program takes PhD training seriously. If you're interested in non-academic jobs, then you still need to decide what kind and whether the department has the expertise to prepare you for those. Since JHU is a small department, you should definitely investigate things _thoroughly_ (e.g. which faculty members interest you, whether they work with doctoral students, whether they're on the job market, attrition, etc)

Also regarding rankings, econphd generally give a strong bias to the size of the department, and their "average" quality ranking suffers from the same problems. I think the upcoming NRC or the usnews are better rankings, but one still should not be deciding where to go based on some silly measures whether some school is still top 20 or no.

Macroeconomicus,

I think most people still think rankings matter-and have some informational value. It may not be a pleasant thing but I think it's the majority opinion. My personal preference is for US News and placement (like the Belgian) rankings; but different applicants probably weigh different factors in different ways.

Also, by posting CHE rankings so prominently, JHU is revealing that it thinks rankings matter to applicants.

Macroeconomicus,

I think most people still think rankings matter-and have some informational value. It may not be a pleasant thing but I think it's the majority opinion. My personal preference is for US News and placement (like the Belgian) rankings; but different applicants probably weigh different factors in different ways.

Also, by posting CHE rankings so prominently, JHU is revealing that it thinks rankings matter to applicants.

Rankings have some informational value, but they should be only at best the starting point of your decision process where to apply. Once you hold an offer to some school, it's really silly to exhaust yourself wondering whether this or that school is still top-something. There are far more important questions to ask at this point.

i have a lot of problem with econphd.net rankings. i'll give you an example. in some of the micro theory fields NWU and tel-aviv university are both up there in the top 2 or 3. but, both tzachi gilboa and eddie dekel were teaching in both those places, so some articles count twice which may be misleading.

I asked Christian Roessler about this. Dekel is counted fully for NWU, Gilboa fully for Tel Aviv, Rubinstein fully for Tel Aviv. It is the author's first affiliation that matters for econphd.net' rankings. He also tried to correct for 'size' of the program. Again, remember these are 2004 rankings before WUSTL started hiring people like crazy, so they do make sense. And concluding that from this rankings Cornell is above Minnesota in Macro is misleading. The difference in the score is so low that any confidence interval would most likely cluster them together. Minnesota has proven to be a very good place producing macroeconomists, but this is not measured in econphd.net rankings. Also, I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but this year JHU placed one job market candidate at NYU.

Minnesota macro is arguably top 5. It has always been able to place people into top 10 schools.. And when is the last time Cornell had a top 10 placement? Every macro person I spoke to did not have anything great to say about Cornell in recent years... I think that there is something wrong with a ranking that puts them so close to each other is all.

Minnesota macro is arguably top 5. It has always been able to place people into top 10 schools.. And when is the last time Cornell had a top 10 placement? Every macro person I spoke to did not have anything great to say about Cornell in recent years... I think that there is something wrong with a ranking that puts them so close to each other is all.

I guess you have a 'placements ranking' on your mind. Econphd.net will not give you that. If placements are all what matters to you, then you should look at placements rankings and Minnesota will most likely be ranked higher than Cornell there, so you can sleep in peace. USNews and World Report rankings that are based on reputation somehow average over publications, placements & other things that matter in personal opinions and in those rankings Minnesota is preety high as I recall.

Let's put placements aside..

If I recall correctly, the only full professor Cornell has doing macro is Shell, who did a lot of important work in 60s-70s. Most other macro people at Cornell are recent hires who got their PhDs in 2002-2007. I really don't understand how Cornell's macro can be rated that highly, even if you base it on sheer volume of their recent publication record. As far as I know, the strengths of the department are labor and development. It would be nice to confirm this with current Cornell students.

There are no specific concentrations if you want to work at the World Bank. We have (I am currently working there :)) a lot of units working on a very broad issues, but having a special focus on development. However, it does not mean that you have to have one of your fields in development. In addition, the Bank also have its Research Department with people with PhDs degress from top schools. So, it is not true that working at the Bank is only for policy stuff. The work done by Ravallion on poverty measurement is a clear proof of this.

Does anyone have any idea about which concentrations are good in John Hopkins, if a person wants to go into the academia after PhD? Also which concentrations in economics do organizations like World Bank, IMF like to have?

I would also like to know what the "strengths" of JHU are, being a small department, are they spread out all over the place, or specialize in a particular area, say like caltech?

and wow, nyu is a great placement