Urch Forums

Is Johns Hopkins worthwhile to go?

jollydog

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI to admitted students, you should be hearing shortly but the flyout will be on March 28th. So if you plan to attend, which I hope you do, please keep the date open.

I will also be aiding in the planning of this year's flyout, so if there are any suggestions you would like to voice, please PM me. Again, you should be getting some updated information in the next few days.

Also, for any admitted students with questions, please feel free to PM me, I am happy to answer any and all! And Congrats! Hope to see you at the flyout and in the fall!

Danny

FYI to admitted students, you should be hearing shortly but the flyout will be on March 28th. So if you plan to attend, which I hope you do, please keep the date open.

I will also be aiding in the planning of this year's flyout, so if there are any suggestions you would like to voice, please PM me. Again, you should be getting some updated information in the next few days.

Also, for any admitted students with questions, please feel free to PM me, I am happy to answer any and all! And Congrats! Hope to see you at the flyout and in the fall!

Danny

Thanks for the info Danny. I have a question about funding. I've been offered a full tuition waiver for my first year. What do you suggest I do to earn enough to subsist during that year (i.e. pay for living expenses)? Take out loans or pick up a job? Is it possible to ask to work as an RA for a prof during the first year?

Take out loans or pick up a job?

Loans.

Is it possible to ask to work as an RA for a prof during the first year?

Basically, no. I know that one prof has a policy against hiring first-years as it distracts them from coursework, and I'm pretty sure that's a shared sentiment. Plus, you'll be competing with the older students who have taken field courses already, who are preferred as RAs.

OME is right, I don't know anything about whether or not all the admissions are completed. But as OME noted, they usually come in bulk, and the rejections usually come a few days after.

As far as those who received the 100% tuition waiver, that was my package coming in as well. However, I was offerd a TA-ship (7.5K or 8K or 7K or something like that) for the second term. I was offered this in the first term, however, so I have been receiving a stipdend the entire year. However, this is obviously not enough to live on, so I took out some loans (guilt free I might add - I believe in consumption smoothing). If you accept the offer you can ask for additional funding - ie. grading duties worth around 4K a year or TA duties. I know we had a shortage of TAs this year, so there is a chance you will have the same opportunity for additional funding next year, as I did this year. Oh, and the tuition waiver should include a for waiver for health insurance as well.

Hope this helps, congrats on the admit and good luck to those still waiting on other schools!

I am actually studying right now for a metrics midterm as we speak, so let me answer briefly about living arrangements and I will address the culture and other things a little more thoroughly after I (hopefully) pass the metrics midterm.

There is no on campus housing for graduate students. I would advise living nearby campus in the first year, and as you get more comfortable with Baltimore you can expand your potential living areas. As for me, I love the Roland Park area. It is north and northwest of campus. This is the "wealthy" area of Baltimore, but you can find some decent housing. There are plenty of apartments along University Parkway, but some may be a bit overpriced. I would highly advise looking online (craigslist is pretty good) in may or june for good deals. The Hampden area, which is directly west of campus, is also pretty good for living, although some areas can get sketchy. I would advise against living anywhere southeast of campus, I tried this and although I was only a mile from campus, was in a VERY BAD neighborhood, and had to move out immediately. Again, there are some good areas if you go far enough south of campus, but it would be very hard to figure out if you are in a good area or not if you are not familiar with Baltimore. To be on the safe side, try to stay north and west of campus.

Again, I hope to see all of you at the flyouts, and PM me for any specific questions!