Urch Forums

Name Mismatch in Passport and I20

bhokalivarun

Thanks Tino for your thoughts.

Actually the passport does not have a space for middle name. That's why the

first name has been spelt as VARUN KUMAR in the passport.

Where as I20 has the option of providing middle name.

So i was just a bit worried as i am running out of time and leaving Indian in a couple of weeks.

• 1 year later...

I got a new passport made recently, but my I-20 was issued based on my older passport.

The old passport reads: Given Name: Gautam Vijay, Surname: Kumar

The new passport reads: Given Name: Gautam, Surname: Kumar

My I-20 reads: Given Name: Gautam, Middle Name: Vijay, Surname: Kumar

I am unsure if I should bug my university for name change on my I-20, but if it is essential, I certainly would.

PS: I have already taken a date for my visa-interview.

How far away is your visa interview? You can request for a new I-20 from your school if it bothers you so much. I don't think this is a problem though.

EDIT BY MODERATOR

Edited by wasleys

The worst thing that could happen at the embassy is that they might delay processing your visa due to "administrative issues". It's happened before in a case where someone's name matched the name of a criminal on the US Most Wanted list or something like that. They eventually gave him his visa and explained why there was a delay.

That's the worst case scenario and I seriously doubt that you will be denied cos of that.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

My prob

Name on Passport:-

last name :- (blank)

first name :- gagandeep singh

name on I20

last name :singh

first name :- gagandeep

What should i do in this case. Ideally I would have liked to get I20 re-issued but since time is very less for me and that seems like a difficult option.

• 2 weeks later...
The worst thing that could happen at the embassy is that they might delay processing your visa due to "administrative issues". It's happened before in a case where someone's name matched the name of a criminal on the US Most Wanted list or something like that. They eventually gave him his visa and explained why there was a delay.

That's the worst case scenario and I seriously doubt that you will be denied cos of that.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Thanks again Femiluv! I got my F1 sometime back, abs no hassles. It was a super-easy 45-sec interview, the officer didn't ask for any documents :)

• 4 months later...

Hi;

I am from Bangladesh.

My full name in the passport: Syed Mohammed Hasibur Rahman (in passport there are no option for first name, middle name and surname)

In my I20

First Name: Syed

MIddle Name: M Hasibur

Surname: Rahman

I used 'M' instead of 'Mohammed' because online univ application was not accepting longer middle name. Would it be a problem?

Thanks in advance

THis is a really interesting case! Of course it SHOULD be ok, as it is obvious that your name is matched and 'M' is for Mohammed. But you know the govt can be ridiculous with rules.

Would you please please let us know how this case goes? I would be very interested. My feeling is that this will not be a problem. If it is, they will not deny the visa, they will tell you that you need to return with a corrected I-20, this is different from out-right denial.

Tino

• 5 months later...

Hi guys!

Greetings from India.

I've been lurking around these forums for a while (GMAT Prep) and found you guys extremely helpful.

I am admitted in USC Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism for Fall 2011 semester. As an international student, I recieved my I20 form and turns out the name does not exactly match my name in the passport.

As per my passport, my name has been stated as:

Given Names: Karan Singh

Surname: (blank)

I am aware that for US Immigration purpose, when the family/surname is not provided in the passport, the provided First/Given name is written under the Family/Surname section, and FNU is stated in the first name section in the I-20 Form. Although the same has been followed in my I-20 form, the format of the name has been stated differently.

The following has been stated in my received I-20 form:

Family Name (Surname): SINGH KARAN

Firt (Given Name): FNU

Is this alright or do I need to get it changed to this:

Family Name (Surname): KARAN SINGH

First (Given Name): FNU

Should I get a new I20 form re-issued or just go ahead with this as it just states a formatting error.

I am in a serious situation and racing against time. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and advance friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Malaysian Chinese.

My name as spelled in passport is : CHRISTINE CHONG YEN KUAN

Surname: CHONG

First name: CHRISTINE YEN KUAN

However, when I applied for college in USA, the name on I-20 was spelled as:

Last name: CHONG

First name: YEN KUAN CHRISTINE

The first name was spelled in reversed way and all my documents in USA (such as I-20, photo ID, social security card) are spelled as YEN KUAN CHRISTINE.

When I went to the NJ MVC to apply for driver's license, they denied my application as the first names do not match in terms of arrangement.

What should I do now? Social security needs to see legal documents for a name correction such as marriage certificate or court order. But marriage certificate will only prove a change in last name.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It is not clear what you want to do.... Do you want to change your SS card? What documents did you show to apply for the Driver's License?

I think you can show SS office your passport as reason to change your name.

Tino

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am Jayanta Kumar Debnath from Bangladesh.

My name in Passport(as there is no options for middle name):

Sur Name: Debnath

Given Name: Jayanta Kumar

My Name in I20:

Sur Name: Debnath

First Name: Jayanta

Middle Name: BLANK

Though I gave them the middle name but they put it blank in I20. Should I tell them to re-send the I20 with the middle name or it will be ok like this? Please help.

• 8 years later...

My passport does not have surname and the given name is XXXYYY and my i20 has surname as YYY and given name as XXX. I found this discrepancy during my first appointment for Visa. Though all my documents have been submitted, am worried if I will get my visa. Secondly, should I ask my school to issue a new i20 with surname as XXXYYY and given name as FNU? Please respond at the earliest. TIA.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/15/2021 at 3:23 PM, RPd said:

My passport does not have surname and the given name is XXXYYY and my i20 has surname as YYY and given name as XXX. I found this discrepancy during my first appointment for Visa. Though all my documents have been submitted, am worried if I will get my visa. Secondly, should I ask my school to issue a new i20 with surname as XXXYYY and given name as FNU? Please respond at the earliest. TIA.

Hi I too face same issue now, would like to know your final outcome at that point of time plz