Urch Forums

Will GRE Subject be weighed MORE than General?

mystic87

Hey guys, I just recently took my GRE General...and it was alright, not exactly 99% that everyone aims for. Because I will be graduating in 2009 and want to enroll into a graduate program Sept 2009, i have very limited time to either retake the GRE General or to try my hand at GRE Biology. Is it better to get a better score in general test or having a Subject score? Would 2 months be enough time to prepare for GRE Biology and how would i go about preparing for it? (seeing that it covers such a wide variety of biological subjects)

Also, it seems that there is a lack of a Biology subcategory...is everyone simply taking Biochem/Cell/Mol. Bio instead of Bio???

P.S. I'd be really grateful to hear any suggestions/comments/and recommendations on how to prep for the subject test. Thanks guys!

:)

Well,

There are two answers to your query:

1. Should you take up your GRE Bio test? Yes. A good score in the subject test can always help you, and a bad score cannot harm you as you can simply chose not to forward the score to your selected universities. So, take up the Subject GRE test irrespective of your general GRE score.

2. Should you retake the general score? Again, depends on your last scores. f you have got more than 750 in QGRE and 500 in VGRE, then you might decide against retaking the test.

Cheers

hmm thanks for putting it in perspective for me!

My only question is would it be possible to cancel forwarding Subject GRE Scores AFTER i receive them and only allow ETS to forward the General Scores?

I did indeed get higher than 750 in Quant and much higher than 500 (87 percentile). Have you taken the subject tests? Would you say the difficulty level just as hard as the general test?

• 7 months later...
unfortunately, you cannot cancel test forwarding after the test date unless you chose to cancel your scores. next time, the best bet is to have your scores reported, but dont list any institutions. this way, you have absolute control of where your tests scores would go, post exam.

• 1 year later...