Urch Forums

1560 GRE: 760 Verbal 800 Quant AWA awaited

chestnut.cc

Just gave my GRE... got a 1560, with 760 Verbal and 800 Quant... yuhooo...:)

The D-Day Landings:

Got to the test center well ahead of time. After all the requisite checks, was guided to my carrel. Waded through the tutorial and the preliminary round of questions while trying to calm myself. Finally my landing craft bumped into soft sands, and off I went onto the beach itself. The issue essay was first up. The topics were prominent ones, and I picked one up and let rip. Started out chugging softly, as I couldn't fit together the essay as I liked, and the clock was ticking. But I worked faster and ideas began to flow, and soon I had a pretty satisfactory essay up. I finished the issue essay with a little over a minute left. Next up was the argument essay. The topic was a good one, flawed from head to toe. I had no trouble with this one, finishing well within the time limit.

I didn't spend much time on the break, pausing only to grab a sip of water. Next up was verbal. I had expected this to go quite smoothly. However verbal had me by the throat from the word go. There were some straight bouncers in this one, and I spent a lot of time tiptoeing through the bog. Later on however, it eased up and I stepped up the pace, finishing the Verbal Section with just under a minute to spare.

Quant awaited me, and I entered warily. 800Q was my first priority and after what I thought was a bombed verbal, I was even more nervous than usual. The section started out with what looked like a bouncer, but a second glance proved me wrong, it was quite simple. The next question was similarly odd looking but quite managable. Quants was easy, with most of the questions revealing their secrets if you looked long enough. I had very few sums where calculations were the only way to an answer. My data interpretation though, was simple with straightforward graphs and tables. One question was a bouncer, and I had to look at it for a really long time to figure out what to do. It reminded me of a calculus sum, where a small manipulation yields the result. The rest of the section was easy and I finished with about 5 minutes to spare.

I was presented with an optional argument essay to do, which I thought I would do, but in the end I just quit the section without typing a word. I clicked through the screens to my scores and was deleighted to see a 760 Verbal, 800 Quants. I called the proctor, went ahead to the university selection screen, selected my chosen universities, and fled.:)

Acknowledgements:

A big round of thanks to the following members of this board: goldust, Jeanette, Oink and geek_goddess. Truly inspirational. A big thanks to rezbipul for his/her extensive problem set.

A big round of thanks to the Beatles, the Doors, Janis Joplin, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Jimi Hendrix...;)

I'll put up a more detailed summary of my two cents when a little better rested.

BOUNCER: A term borrowed from the sport of cricket, implying a question which simply goes over one's head.

With that out of the way for those members unfamiliar with cricket, congrats chestnut! You really deserve your score. I have seen your work in the Math subforum, and it just goes to show the amount of work you put in.

Nice debrief though just go easy on the mixed metaphors (I really don't think there would be any bouncers in a bog! :) ). Congrats again!

ha ha... yeah... thank you!... heres my two cents:

PREP MATERIAL:

POWERPREP:

Elite. Powerprep is a must, but imo its best used towards the end of your testing phase, to gauge where you stand. To quote goldust: Master Class.

Powerprep 1:740V, 800Q

Powerprep 2:740V, 800Q

Powerprep1_2:760V, 800Q

Powerprep2_2:800V,800Q

THE BIG BOOK:

Get it. Period. No other prep material comes close to the level of verbal other than this masterpiece.

BARRONS:

Indispensable. This book is the strong silent type, no frills, it tells you everything you need to do. Extensive verbal, meticulous quants, the works. Good questions and the master word lists. This is the first thing anyone should get. The CD however, is not quite the same. Its decent, but most of the questions are from the book, and the scoring system is a wee bit off (it cut 100 points for one wrong question on the diagnostic!)

Barron's 1:800V,750Q

Barron's 2:790V,770Q

NOVA:

Terse and pragmatic, Nova covers math far more thoroughly than any other book. They also provided the single most useful tip for QC: cross multiplication. Good questions and extensive coverage. If you have the time browse through the verbal as well, the AWA follows the math pattern and is worth a look. The CD, however, is sad. Its amateurishly made, with a weird interface, wrongly placed buttons, infantile questions and oddest of all, no automatic scoring system (you have to double your raw scores and look em up from a conversion chart)

NOVA 1:740V 800Q

NOVA 2:740V 800Q

NOVA 3:690V 790Q

KAPLAN:

This very glossy book offers little in substance. The verbal section is decent, with the all important "bridge analogy" technique, but quants is sad. Their idea of quant tactics is: Heres the sum! Kaplans Method: Solve it... :s. The CD, on the other hand, is brilliant. Along with the online companion, Kaplan's CD provides some of the best tests albeit the very pessimistic scores. Get this one for the CD alone.

KAPLAN 1:670V 790Q

KAPLAN 2:670V 790Q

KAPLAN 3:720V 770Q

PRINCETON REVIEW:

Didn't have much time to peruse this one. Did use the online companion though, which was decent. The tests are pretty good, though the scoring is again a bit off. I also read through the AWA section, which recommends this very practical automaton technique, which can be useful when gasping for structure. Worth grabbing for the tests.

Princeton Review 1:790V 790Q

Princeton Review 2:770V 690Q

Princeton Review 3:750V 790Q

Princeton Review 4:730V 790Q

800SCORE:

To quote a famous man: "Monster!" 800Score follows the same funda of all coaching classes: teach em GMAT level stuff, and theyll do fine. Which is a pretty good idea. The verbal is tortuous and unlike anything you'll ever come across. Worth doing just to get used to working under pressure and against the clock. If you want 800Q, 800Score has a good way of helping you.

GREBIBLE:

Bullcrap. Ridiculously error filled software with an annoying atari type menu. You'll die of boredom filling in their "colomns". Give the test if you want, but be warned, its extremely boring.

GRE BIBLE 1:800V 780Q

OTHER STUFF:

I had joined this pretty decent coaching class, which I never attended, but I did use their material a few weeks before my test. Again the same 800Score funda, they butcher you to make you more efficient, its not a bad idea. If you can lay you hands on some GMAT stuff it may be worth it, but certainly not necessary.

A PENNY ON PREP:

I prepped for about two months, finishing off the Barron's Word lists first. Simultaneously I began tackling the BB tests. Note: Several words I got on my test were the so-called Non-Barron's words. Do not waste your time trying to learn extensive lists of abstruse words. While the words may have been absent from the lists, almost all the options were Barron's words. If you knew them, your chances of eliminating and guessing the answer improve exponentially. Theres no use knowing the weird word without knowing the standard weird option.

A word on quants: they are not hard. They are stranger. Most of the questions I had were algebra, with a little geometry. I had one standard deviation question along with a graph. A couple of questions needed strict calculations, but most of them could be done mentally. Admittedly, I had simpler data interpretation questions, which imo traditionally involve all the heavy calculations. Now it is worth mentioning here that the types of questions on PP and the questions on the actual thing are such that y=f('x) g=f''(x). For those who don't get that, theyre very similar,deriving from the same basic ideas and forms. However, I do NOT recommend doing PP quants from the word go. Work through all the hard stuff first ie 800Score, Nova, Barrons etc stuff. Get the rezpibul problem set and some GMAT stuff. Make sure you can do those, then set to doing PP. If you don't have the time, or lack the mathematical background then don't waste your time, and stick to Barrons, Nova and Kaplan.

A special word on PP: Use it wisely. This forum has one problem ie you may see a lot of PP material on it. Avoid this if possible, sticking to harder, more standard GMAT quant to pick up the necessary speed and time management ability. Then late in your prep, crack open PP and have a go. For verbal it is the thing, nothing else (besides BB) comes close. You can use it multiple times, it has a vast question set, and on verbal at least, you will almost always encounter a tonne of new stuff. Familiarize youself thoroughly with PP. I adjusted my screen resolution to simulate PP even on other cbts to help getting used to the feel.

Finally, Testmagic. The Place.

Keep calm. Chill. There is no better test aid than a calm mind. I think most of the people I mentioned earlier will agree to this.

I just saw- Congrats!!

And thank god it's over for you now. :)

I didn't do my optional essay either- by the time sit through a few hours of nail-biting clicking, you do not want to do anything that is optional!

I don't think coaching is neccessary- the material is not hard. I have friends who are taking classes, and they basically have access to tests and teachers for doubts. I guess it's useful for making you study regularly, and give you motivation, but it isn't neccessary. There aren't doubts which can't be solved sooner or later.

A calm mind is the most important thing for the exam. Your mind has to be razor sharp, you need to feel like you are in control. Free your mind, Matrix style. You will definitely have a good exam experience if you're relaxed. I spent 3 minutes on the first question out of nervousness. ( And it was a really stupid question when I look back now.) Those four hours were hell- I never want to be there again.

Goldust is right- you won't get bouncers in a bog!;)

I can never study with music on, even familiar stuff. You're lucky you can.

Congratulations Chestnut !!! 1560 is a fantabulous score, no beating on that.

But If I read your prep time correctly, you said that you did all all all of this in just 2 months, is this for real??

Looking at the various vendors that offer GRE and the books from them, makes me feel that reading all of that would take me months and months to come, forget about memorizing stuff.

Do shed some light on your daily study schedule? was it like 23hrs of new words and 1 hr of revision of all prior words, what have you?

Thanks,

Wanna1600

I just saw- Congrats!!

And thank god it's over for you now. http://www.www.urch.com/forums/../images/smilies/smile.gif

I didn't do my optional essay either- by the time sit through a few hours of nail-biting clicking, you do not want to do anything that is optional!

I don't think coaching is neccessary- the material is not hard. I have friends who are taking classes, and they basically have access to tests and teachers for doubts. I guess it's useful for making you study regularly, and give you motivation, but it isn't neccessary. There aren't doubts which can't be solved sooner or later.

A calm mind is the most important thing for the exam. Your mind has to be razor sharp, you need to feel like you are in control. Free your mind, Matrix style. You will definitely have a good exam experience if you're relaxed. I spent 3 minutes on the first question out of nervousness. ( And it was a really stupid question when I look back now.) Those four hours were hell- I never want to be there again.

Goldust is right- you won't get bouncers in a bog!http://www.www.urch.com/forums/../images/smilies/wink.gif

I can never study with music on, even familiar stuff. You're lucky you can.

Thank you... :)... no its absolutely not necessary... if you can lay your hands on their material it may be useful... but imo its a waste of money... as for the nervous part... cough cough at the 1600er...:p

Congratulations Chestnut !!! 1560 is a fantabulous score, no beating on that.

But If I read your prep time correctly, you said that you did all all all of this in just 2 months, is this for real??

Looking at the various vendors that offer GRE and the books from them, makes me feel that reading all of that would take me months and months to come, forget about memorizing stuff.

Do shed some light on your daily study schedule? was it like 23hrs of new words and 1 hr of revision of all prior words, what have you?

Thanks,

Wanna1600

If you notice someone like oink who spent 3 weeks on the exam and got the same score... I myself prefer marathon sessions... I didn't follow any schedule as such though the first thing i did was polish off the word lists (this seems to be a universally approved first task)... the rest was to quote oink a sort of dynamic optimization... tinker around and see what suits you... if you want a 1500+ that means a lot of hours on wordlists practice tests and the like... good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey chestnut,

I have question regarding 800score tests. After your recommendation i bought 5 CAT tests from 800score.com. I took test number 2 and 3 and easily scored 800 both time in quant section. You said that they are pretty good, but I found them very easy. These tests didnt have any data interpretation problems and very few geometry problems.I took powerprep few weeks ago and could just score 700 on quant section. I found powerprep to be a lot harder than 800 score. That got me confused. Were u talking about the 800score test found on 800score.com or it was some other test u were refering to. How reliable are 800 scores ? I would appreciate your response.

It does vary a bit from test to test... this may be cos you have no problem in computing straightforward things well within time... which is not the main focus of PP... 800score is v useful to get a hang of some computationally contorted sums... on the other hand theres hardly any data interpretation... PP can throw up several tricky ones... keep at it with the remaining 800score... if you find them all easy... then the ans probably lies in what you want to focus on... if its speed and accuracy go for GMAT level stuff (ie large complicated but straightforward sums)... if its dissecting a sum neatly to arrive at the easy soln (sums that look odd but have a simple soln)... practise PP... but as I said before... imo keep at the GMAT stuff and keep PP for the final phase of your prep... Barrons gives good approximations as does NOVA... so you may want to check those out as well... as for scores... do not put too much stock by them... the no of sums you get right is a better indicator... PP alone accurately reflects the actual scoring system... hope that helped....

I think u r right. I have no problem in solving straightforward problems but the tricky ones kind of confuse me. I haven't taken this type of test before. Last standardized test I took was SAT in 2005, which was very easy and didn't have any tricky question. So I think I might not have developed the thought process to solve tricky questions. I always did very good in my college math classes but the tests used to be very straightforward.

Anyways, I m saving power prep for the last 2 weeks of my preparation. I still have to take nova, barrons, kaplan and princeton tests.I have never looked at Gmat level stuff. I will get some Gmat prep book from library and go through it but I dont know if its a good idea considering my exam is on 17th of october. I appreciate ur help.

thanks chestnut for that details....n congrats u conquered gre with flying colors.

i'm graduate school aspirant in economics....just started my prep n planning to go for the test in first week of december.

GRE BIBLE n BIG BOOK terminology used in this forum has perplexed. I just got the GRE bible in pdf format(27 tests)...but some say GRE bible is software..confused!!

Should I buy NOVA Prep Book or Software?

What kind of GMAT stuff you talking about?? standard GMAT prep books or some other specific material.

Which 800score stuff should I buy...they have many products and being in UK its not easy to get everything.

Finally, can you advise how should I structure my prep as I don't have much spare time because of other obligations

I would appreciate your help!!

The BB is available as a pdf scan... get it... AVOID GRE Bible... its a waste of time... Get the NOVA book for sure... the cd too if you want (though it isnt a patch on the book)... i wouldn't suggest preparing specifically GMAT stuff... but when youre done with Barrons, Novas and the like you can pick up any gmat book or the rezpibul problem set and work through it... as you may have noticed from the econ phd forums... quant is the alpha and the omega... hence concentrate on getting an 800Q while aiming to have a decent verbal in the range of 600-800... ie dont let verbal dominate your prep as quant is more pertinent to your aims... good luck!

hey chestnut hats off for that awesome quant score.

what follows might be annoying or seem too personal but being in the first phase of prep is bit confusing when you hear so many things everyday.

I have just started with my prep and 'll go for the test in first week of dec.

I have been perplexed by BIG BOOK n GRE BIBLE terminology. I got the pdf of BIBLE that has got 27 tests. ARE BOTH THE SAME??

What should I buy NOVA Book or Software.

which GMAT stuff you talking about can you please explain a bit more:i mean books or some other material.

Being in UK don't have access to many materials so which of the 800score stuff I should opt for.

Finally can you advise how should i structure the prep as i don't have much spare time because of other obligations.

thanks for the help