Urch Forums

Profile evaluation/ university selection.

shamikPushkar

Hi, I'm going to apply for Phd in supply chain management(fall 2018). Even though I'm still reading papers, I'm pretty sure my research area will be in the domain of supply chain analytics. My profile is given below.

GRE- 322-159V (83 percentile), 163Q(84 percentile), 3.5 AWA

TOEFL-yet to appear(previous score expired)

Graduation- Bachelors of Engineering(chemical engineering)- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal University(2010-2014)

Graduation GPA- 8/10(13th in chemical engineering department)

Post Graduation- PGDIM- NITIE(2016-2018)

Post Graduation GPA- 8.2/10(1st year)

work experience- 2 yr in energy management department in a steel plant(JSW Steel)

I also have an option of working with a prof. on a research paper, but i haven't started yet. I wanted to know the colleges where i have a shot. I don't expect people to give names(but I'll be thankful if they do). The approx. rank of college on UTD ranking(with supply chain journal filters) would do. The problem I'm facing is that I don't know how my profile is on a relative scale. Also is there time to work on research papers?

Your GRE scores are on the lower end for good schools. take a look at this website for rankings : Supply Chain Management Journal List

I would recommend looking at the empirical based rankings to have a better idea of what colleges may be in your grasp.

Depending on the research paper quality, and the quality of the journal it appears in, it could really help your profile.

Thanks. I've been told about my GRE score but It will be difficult for my to write GRE now. Scoring more than 330 would be all the more difficult because of my previous engagements. I've prepared a list of possible universities I will apply to. The list is below.

University of Washington at Seattle

University of Colorado at Boulder

University of California at Irvine

Texas A&M University at College Station

University of Southern California

University of Texas at Dallas

University of California at Riverside

University of Massachusetts at Amherst

University of Oregon

Any changes?

• 2 weeks later...

I would maybe start working on the research paper and put on your application that you are currently involved with research. Although your GRE scores are lower, you did well with your GPA and having a technical background in engineering means you have a stronger quant profile. Having good letter of recommendations and addressing your lower GRE scores in essay may help "offset" them. Especially if you have writing experience and your statement of purpose is polished.

I would look at the university program and which professors are researching in your areas of interest. Personally, rankings come in second and third to the actual program culture and potential mentors. Hope this helps!