Urch Forums

Weighing different factors for admittance

saphire

Hi everyone,

The deadlines are coming and everyone who want to pursue graduate study in econ trying to finish the application procedures. ( I am also one of them) The thing is that most of us are really wondering which part of the application is worth considering. The GRE Quantitative scores, CGPA, LORs, SOP, math backgorund, having a master degree in econ or math or stat, and the university graduated from are the some of the factors. I want you to put a weight on these factors according to their importance while adcoms are evaluating our files. For example

GRE Quant Scores: % 20

CGPA: % 20

LORs: %20

SOP: % 5

Math Background: % 10

Having a Master's Degree: % 15

University Graduated from: %10

This is the structure. You can copy and paste. I appreciate your opinions.

I think it's better just to rank them in order of importance. Assigning weights is kinda hard and random.

Yeah, because GRE is 100% important if you miss the cutoff they use to diminish their stack of applications, but if you make it past that point, I'd say something like 1%. Makes a straight weighting hard to do...

Nonconvexities abound. :)

har har.

GRE Quant Scores: %5 (I say this minutes before I leave to retake the GRE. :P)

CGPA: %5

LORs: %40

SOP: %5

Math Background: %25

Having a Master's Degree: %5

University Graduated from: %15

I've been told by SO many people that if you have a math undergrad major (assuming you take real analysis), you'll have all the math you need to succeed in a program. Extra math is just icing on the cake (hence my weight of only 5% on the masters degree). Likewise, the rank for University graduated from is lower compared to LORs, because, well, you can't double count graduating from Princeton, and having three LORs from famous Princeton economists.

Basically my ratings imply that LORs, math background, and pedigree are all it takes to get into a top 10 program. :)

My two cents:

GRE Quant Scores: % 10

CGPA: % 10

LORs: %30

Math Background: % 20

Having a Master's Degree: % 5

University Graduated from: % 20

Saying all this is great but I believe that you could have a negative LOR or poor Quant Score Eliminate you completely; while the other categories you can overcome if you are strong everywhere else.

It's a multi-stage entry game. What matters most in the first stage matters least in the final stage. :)

This is exactly the way I think of the process. The first two stages are probably reaching the minimum GPA and QGRE. The second is reaching the required background in mathematics (at least calc & linear algebra, I'd imagine, most likely something higher). Next round is probably LoRs - bad/lukewarm ones get you thrown out. After that I imagine it's different from program to program.

I don't know that this thread has a possible goal..........there is no "magic bullet" to admissions.

Outside of fantastic QGRE scores, a good math background, good grades, and something to signal that they'll be successful researchers in the future, I don't know what these people have in common.

Hey.......wait a minute.......

my guess

GRE Quant Scores: % 15

CGPA: % 25

LORs: %10

Math Background: % 30

Having a Master's Degree: %10

University Graduated from: % 5

of course, these are only guesses on my own impressions.

I agree with jhai. one of my letter of recommendation writers says they rank you with your GRE scores (including analytical and verbal), take the top few hundred, drop a hundred or so people who don't seem to really have what it takes, and decide over the last 200 or so. for the last 200, they look at GPA, math, LOR, then SOP (in that order) to trim down to around three times the amount they would like to actually enroll.

for the people who claim that the SOP is worth

I don't think the SoP is used as the last factor in admissions (at least at the schools that read it...). Suppose a student with a great background, great rec letters, etc, says in their SoP that they're passionate about field X and field Y, and are looking forward to studying it. I can most certainly see them getting rejected if the program they're applying to doesn't do those fields. Likewise, if a student says they don't like doing research or math, say that they want to use their Ph.D to get a great job in investment banking, etc. Or if they come off as incredibly arrogant.

So I think the SoP does matter - but in a similar way to the QGRE. If you say something idiotic in it, you're out, but a very good one doesn't get you in.

jhai, your right

i actually know of a friend who got rejected from a sure place because his research interests were somoething the school was very bad in.

i think you can really hurt your chances by what you write in an SOP, but you cant really change the mind of the committee to accept you when they were initially going to accept you. its not a magical pill that can benefit you, but it can certainly hurt you.

In my country, students who apply frequently get 780+ in Quant. GRE. It is quite common to get a Master degree before applying to PhD. So, LORs matter a lot...I'd say that they matter 50% of our application and they usually reflect other aspects such as our previous performance.

I don't think the SoP is used as the last factor in admissions (at least at the schools that read it...). Suppose a student with a great background, great rec letters, etc, says in their SoP that they're passionate about field X and field Y, and are looking forward to studying it. I can most certainly see them getting rejected if the program they're applying to doesn't do those fields. Likewise, if a student says they don't like doing research or math, say that they want to use their Ph.D to get a great job in investment banking, etc. Or if they come off as incredibly arrogant.

So I think the SoP does matter - but in a similar way to the QGRE. If you say something idiotic in it, you're out, but a very good one doesn't get you in.

I don't think many people would make such obviously stupid mistakes as declaring the "wrong" fields or goals. I doubt that coming off as arrogant can really hurt that bad, unless you say something insulting.

I don't think many people would make such obviously stupid mistakes as declaring the "wrong" fields or goals.

I mean, you would think that, wouldn't you? :blush: I used a form SOP for all of my schools, with maybe a little customization. It didn't seem to matter to Wisc that I was highly interested in development, even though they don't offer it as a sub-field.

• 5 years later...

Hi All

A bit about my background-:

- Indian by nationality

- B.A Economics Hons (2007 pass out) => 67% aggregate (anything above 65% is first distinction in India)

- MBA, Finance (2009 pass out) => 7.6/10 GPA

- 3.5 years of work experience in economics/financial research and consulting => Economic research (1 yr), Financial Research and Consulting (2.5 yrs)

I am looking to apply for a M.Sc Economics, preferably from a US university. I recently gave my GRE and got unofficial scores of 156Q and 146V. Still awaiting the official score. I had send free ETS GRE reports to four colleges - MIT, LSE, UC San Diego and NYU. I have the following questions, on which I'd like your inputs-:

a) is my quant score sufficient for me to get into a decent college? does verbal score also matter? I am not sure which colleges should I apply to further, given my scores? would you have any suggestions?

b) how important are GRE scores as a part of total application? will my score mitigate my chances of getting into a good college (top 20?)? I am not very keen on retaking the GRE, but would do so if it absolutely necessary to improve my chances of getting through. Can my work exp/academic background make up for the low GRE scores?

c) I have recently read that it is increasingly becoming difficult for International students to get jobs in UK post higher education unless it is through campus placements. Is it true? I would not apply to UK colleges in that case (have applied only to LSE as of now), if it is a risky move?

d) Do official GRE scores differ in any way, from unofficial scores?

Lastly, would be great if you could suggest some names of universities, that I could apply to, given my overall background and qualifications.

Thanks a lot!

Niti

Hi All

A bit about my background-:

- Indian by nationality

- B.A Economics Hons (2007 pass out) => 67% aggregate (anything above 65% is first distinction in India)

- MBA, Finance (2009 pass out) => 7.6/10 GPA

- 3.5 years of work experience in economics/financial research and consulting => Economic research (1 yr), Financial Research and Consulting (2.5 yrs)

I am looking to apply for a M.Sc Economics, preferably from a US university. I recently gave my GRE and got unofficial scores of 156Q and 146V. Still awaiting the official score. I had send free ETS GRE reports to four colleges - MIT, LSE, UC San Diego and NYU. I have the following questions, on which I'd like your inputs-:

a) is my quant score sufficient for me to get into a decent college? does verbal score also matter? I am not sure which colleges should I apply to further, given my scores? would you have any suggestions?

b) how important are GRE scores as a part of total application? will my score mitigate my chances of getting into a good college (top 20?)? I am not very keen on retaking the GRE, but would do so if it absolutely necessary to improve my chances of getting through. Can my work exp/academic background make up for the low GRE scores?

c) I have recently read that it is increasingly becoming difficult for International students to get jobs in UK post higher education unless it is through campus placements. Is it true? I would not apply to UK colleges in that case (have applied only to LSE as of now), if it is a risky move?

d) Do official GRE scores differ in any way, from unofficial scores?

Lastly, would be great if you could suggest some names of universities, that I could apply to, given my overall background and qualifications.

Thanks a lot!

Niti

Please do not drag up 6 year old threads. Start a new thread with your questions.

As I understand it, almost all programs will not accept a foreign student unless they have a masters degree. Is this true for your program?

I have no opinion on your weights, it's just that this is a six year old thread that should be left to wither and die as none of the original posters are around.

I have no opinion on your weights, it's just that this is a six year old thread that should be left to wither and die as none of the original posters are around.

If people care about the topic at hand (and TomRod did take some time to think through his post), I don't think it's necessary to restrict a thread because its original posters aren't here. If it weren't for restraining orders, I'd hang around 6-year old threads more often...