Urch Forums

Roll Call Fall 2009

jeeves0923

I think it's about time that this thread could be useful. I've seen a lot of new names on here recently of people that have mentioned that they would be applying Fall 2009. So, let's post profiles and see how we can help each other out over the next several months!

So here's mine. Other's following suit is appreciated!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Math, B.A. Econ from large public university in Southeast US

Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4, Summa Cum Laude, In Honors

Type of Grad: M.S. Math

Grad GPA: 3.8/4

GRE: 800Q, 610V, 4.5AWA

Math Courses: All required courses for math degree + Real Analysis I and II, Math for Economists, Abstract Algebra (graduate), Measure Theory (graduate), Matrix Theory (graduate), Stochastic Processes (graduate, fall), Probability Theory(graduate, fall)- All A's but a B in Measure Theory

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro (A-), Macro(fall), Metrics(fall), Labor (A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): IO, Public, Econ of China, Environmental and Natural Resource Econ, Game Theory, Micro and Macro Theory- All A's

Other Courses: History minor, about half of an engineering degree

Letters of Recommendation: 3 econ professors (1 Chicago PhD, 1 UMN PhD, 1 Stanford PhD), 1 math prof (Princeton PhD, NSF winner), all should be solid

Research Experience: RA for Econ prof, Theoretical math thesis, master's thesis to be submitted, econ paper submitted and under revision

Teaching Experience: GTA for University Writing Center, Vector Geometry, Intermediate Micro, and an Honors Colloquium on Game Theory

Research Interests: Public Finance, Education, Law & Econ, Labor, Theory

SOP: In the Process of Rewriting last year's

Concerns: I got a B in a PhD math course, though it is a tough program with amazing students all seeking PhDs in math. My undergrad is good, but not elite. Low GRE AWA.

Other: NSF Honorable mention last year, rejected by MIT, Harvard and Princeton.

Applying to: MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Northwestern, Chicago, UPenn, Stanford, Berkeley, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, NYU, Columbia, insert your suggestion

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. in Math and Econ (double major) from ~top 30 Overall US private university by US News (not known for econ at all, but it is PhD granting)

Undergrad GPA: 3.65/4.0, strong upward trend ~ 3.9 over the past two years

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: have not sat for them yet, will probably do so sometime this summer. i see no reason why i cannot get 790+ Q

Math Courses: Calc I-III (B+, A, A), Linear Algebra (A), Probability Theory (A), Math Stats (A), ODE (A), Real Analysis (A-), Complex Variables (A), Grad Analysis (Fall), General Topology (Fall); Cum GPA of Math: 3.9x

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro (Fall)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A-), Money and Banking (A-), Econ Stats I & II (B, A), Labor (B+), Econometrics (A), I/O (A), Trade (A-); Cum GPA of Econ: 3.7x

Other Courses: Intro to Fin (A), Independent Study on Business Cycle nonparametric analysis (A), Federal Reserve Challenge (A)

Letters of Recommendation: Have not formally asked anyone yet but I intend to ask: Two Full Prof (UNC, Penn State), One Associate Prof (Duke). Of the Two full profs, the UNC one is my major advisor and thesis advisor. I have also graded and done independent study with him. The other full prof (PSU) is the dept. chair. I am and have been working as an RA for the associate prof (NBER fellow, director of grad studies in the dept.). I expect all of these to range from good to outstanding.

Research Experience: RA in Health Econ, Currently working on Sr. Thesis on Monetary Policy rules

Teaching Experience: Tutoring statistics this summer

Research Interests: who knows, but probably leaning towards Micro Theory and I/O theory

SOP: haven't written yet. I guess I should start working on this?

Concerns: Not a spectacular Overall GPA and I come from a lessor known econ dept.

Applying to: Don't really know exactly where yet. I was considering a few from the top ten, ten or so from 10-30, then a few outside the top 30.

I remember when I joined this forum, I could not wait for the day to make this post. Not sure why my perspective has changed so much. But, for the sake of completeness, here goes it.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Where energy goes to supercomputing.

B.A. Econ. B.S. Math. Minor: Stats.

Undergrad GPA:

Trying to get up to magna for graduation.

GRE:

Will take in August.

Math Courses:

Standard. Less than what most have (I think). Real analysis in the fall. GPA is fine.

Econ Courses (PhD-level):

Taking two in the fall.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level):

A few electives. Currently have high honors.

Letters of Recommendation:

Depends on success/failure of this fall. Will either be two econ and one stat or math. Or possibly, all three econ. Maybe three econ and one math?

Research Experience:

Independent study this past spring.

Currently at another university practicing my Stata commands. Project and professor are stellar.

Teaching Experience:

I teach people to fly, does that help? ... thought not.

Research Interests:

Development. Trade. Policy.

Also, Alberto Alesina's work makes me drool.

SOP:

Working on this today.

Concerns:

Apathy concerning social justice issues. Ignorance on issues I deem important.

Applying to:

I am aiming for some top 20's. We'll see....

The profile feels a bit better this time around. Hopefully that will turn into good things! With this thread, the hunt begins...(again)

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A (Hons.) Economics, Math Minor with Distinction, Queen's University

Undergrad GPA: Overall: 3.75/4.0, Econ: 4.0/4.0, Math: 3.65/4.0

Type of Grad: M.A Economics, Queen's University

Grad GPA: 4.0/4.0 Currently

GRE: 790Q 530V 5.5AWA

Math Courses: Calculus I-III (A+/A+/B), Linear Algebra (B), Differential Equations (B), Probability ©, Abstract Algebra (B), Statistics (A+), Analysis I & II (B+/B), Stochastic Models in Operations Research (A+)

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro (fall), Metrics (fall), Money and the Macroeconomy (Fall), Mathematical Economics (A+), Finance Theory (A+) Continuous-Time Finance (A+), Risk Management (Audit), Cost-Benefit Analysis (A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro (A), Macro (A+), Metrics I & II (A/B+), Finance (A+), History (B+), Corporate Finance (A),

Letters of Recommendation: 1 ANU, 1 JHU, 1 Harvard

Research Experience: R.A for three semesters. Co-authoured paper to be published in REE, Early 2009.

Teaching Experience: UG Finance (fall), Tutor for department in mathematics for economists, Micro and stats.

Research Interests: Financial Economics, Micro

SOP: Working on it all summer

Concerns: B+ average math student, though these are generally marked harder at Queen's. My Math-econ @ Ph.D level circumvents that pretty good, I figure. We'll see. At least I'll have a good shot at U of T and UWO (and, as always, Queen's).

Applying to: UChicago, NWU, NYU, Columbia, UCSD, Cornell, BU, Minnesota, UWO, Toronto.

Here we go again.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

B.Sc. Econ. (Honors), with maths and Political Science as minors. Large South Asian university. Has long history of placing students at decent U.S. universities. Used to be very reputed. Not so nowadays. Still fairly well known.

Undergrad GPA:

Waiting on that. Should be high second class, in the 3.2 to 3.7 range roughly after conversion. I know. I shouldn't convert percentages into gpa.

GRE:

1440. Quant: 790. verbal: 650. AWA: 4.5

TOEFL:

111. Got 24 in the speaking. :crazy:

Econ courses:

Micro, Macro, Statistics and Econometrics, Development, International Trade, Public Finance, mathematical Economics, Indian Economic History and Economic Policy Analysis.

Math Courses:

Everything. Modern Algebra, Linear Algebra, Calculus, Linear programming, 2D and 3D geometry, vector analysis, numerical analysis, Stats.

Maths grades should be average.

Other Courses:

Political science: Indian constitution and politics, World constitutions (US, UK, China, Switzerland, France) and politics, Political Theories.

Research Experience:

Published papers in 2 national level conferences and at one prestigious international conference. Working papers in 2 more national conferences and one international conference.

Teaching Experience: none.

Research Interests:

Primary: political economy.

Secondary: development econ.

SOP: Will start work in August.

Concerns: Endless. To be pithy,

1. Reputation of undergrad university.

2. (Potential) average GPA. International students especially from my country apply with much better GPAs.

3. Unknown LOR writers.

4. And most importantly, I will be applying with only an undergrad degree. Almost all applicants from my country and I believe most international applicants apply with a graduate degree or they are already enrolled in a graduate program. But I will be in my final year of my undergrad program. I think this will be the biggest handicap to my profile and will heavily affect my chances.

Applying to: Haven't made final yet. Got a shortlist. Will be applying to several Canadian MA programs and few decent US ones to bolster my chances to get into a Top 40 program. Besides that, will be applying to places with strong Political Economy concentrations, rankings being all over the place. Will not apply to Top 10 schools as I have zero change of getting in.

I am also considering applying to Political Science departments as they offer Political Economy as research concentration as well.

Please give me suggestions on this matter.

I too have awaited this thread with anticipation.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Large U.S. Public University ranked 40-55 (best in state) typically known for Football not Economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.92 overall 4.0 in Econ 3.62 in Math

GRE: 800 Q 540 V 5.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calc 1-3 1,2 tested out 3(B+), Differential Equations(B), Stat 1(A), Probability(A) [my school does not have minus grading or A+], Taking Linear Alg in Fall and Math Stats 2, Real Analysis in Spring

Econ Courses: Intros, Intermediates, Public Econ, Sports Econ, Empirical Research, Independent Study (for research) and taking Labor Econ in the Fall

Other Courses: Minors in Food and Resource Economics, and History

Letters of Recommendation: 3 LORS 2 excellent letters from pretty well known Econ faculty in their concentrations (one Phd Chicago the other Wisconsin) and 1 very good letter from a senior member of the Ag Econ Department (Purdue well known in Ag econ)

Research Experience: 2 written empirical papers one for the class in research and the other (to be my thesis) I want to get published. Database work and research at Fed

Teaching Experience: N/A

Research Interests: Varied, Public Choice, Taxation Policy, Applied Macro Policy (I am not a theorist for the most part), Political Economy

SOP: Will end up emphasizing my research and closeness with my faculty. Will bring up job at Fed

Other: Internship at the Federal Reserve, Strong Undergraduate leadership positions

Concerns: My B in Diffy Q, Coming from a big public school, Won't have analysis on my transcript.

Applying to: Chicago, Northwestern, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Michigan, Maryland, Virginia, Michigan State and Probably countless others

guys... do you mean 'roll call fall 2008'?

So, here I go again:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 5 private U.S. university

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (missed magna for .01 arghhh)

GRE: 800q, 670v, 4.5w

Math Courses: real analysis, optimization, Intro Proof, Probability, Linear Algebra, Multivariable calculus. Average in all those classes is A- and I got an A in my r.a. class

Econ Courses: many, but only undergrad level. If possible, I will enroll in a grad course this fall.http://www.www.urch.com/forums/../../images/smilies/frown.gif

Letters of Recommendation: Unclear yet, but definitely better than last year. I have for sure a very enthousiastic letter from a well-known professor.

Research Experience: 2 summers, thesis (didn't go well), 1-year RA job (I'm excited!!!)

Research Interests: I really don't have refined research interests. I could do everything from monetary to applied micro.

Applying to: Given that last year my applications didn't go well (I got rejected by many top-10 schools and my only offer was from UCSD), I feel obliged to try a bigger range of schools, to make sure that I get somewhere with funding. However, because my profile is better this time, I will apply again to the top ones, including some of those that rejected me.

Goal: Happiness and good funding.

Concerns. My math record is much better than last year. My recommendation letters are going to be better as well. My only worry is that my thesis didn't go well.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BSc in Civil Engineering (in Latin America) , graduated top 10%

Undergrad GPA: 8.76/10.0, after convertions they told me I got 3.6/4.00

Type of Grad: MA in International Development (concentration in Economics)

Grad GPA: general: 3.6/4; concentration course 3.9/4

GRE: not taken yet

Math/Statistics Courses:

Undergrad: Algebra I (B+), Linear Algebra (A-), Numeric Analysis (A-), Real Analysis (A-), Calculus I (B+), Calculus II (A-), Differential Equations (A-), Probability and Statistics (A).

Grad: Applied regression analysis (A), Introduction to Econometrics (A-), Econometrics (A); Advanced Econometric (A).

Econ Courses (PhD-level):

Economic theory (A), Household Eocnomics (A-), DevelopmentEconomics (A), Microeconomics (B+), Macroeconomics (A-)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 professors (1 Chicago PhD, 1 Harvard PhD, 1 Brown PhD)

Research Experience: After undergraduate, 4 years of research experience (2 during my master's degree and 2 working for an International Development Bank) in economics doing data and policy analysis. Wrote 3 papers; one published in a small journal, one as chapter of a book (Inter-American Development Bank) and currently working on a proposal and finishing anothe rworking paper to publish at the end of the year (hopefully)

Teaching Experience: NONE

Research Interests: Development Economics and Public Policy

Concerns: Very few courses in economic theory and undergraduate degree that is not Economics (Civil Engineering)

Applying to: Harvard, Princeton, Chicago, NYU, Columbia, Georgetown, Duke, U. Maryland, U. Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Oxford, LSE, Carlos III, and Pompeu Fabra.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

B.A. (Economics + General Math + Sociology)

150th-ish ranked Econ PhD Program.

Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4.0

GRE: not taken yet (worried so much)

Undergrad Courses:

Calc I - III, Linear Algebra, and Math Reasoning (All As)

Diff Eq (In Prog); Real Analysis, and Probability Theory (this Fall)

Intermediate Mico and Macro (Both As)

Grad Courses:

Master's Micro + Econometrics (this Fall)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 professors (Not well known...)

Research Experience: Summer Research (Not going well...)

Teaching Experience: None

Concerns: Academic background is too poor to hit top 20... Want to get into top 50 at least...

Applying to: U. Maryland, Johns Hopkins, U. of Washington, and Lower Ranked Schools...

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BSc in Economics 2nd in Class, Sussex University UK

Undergrad GPA: 1st Class (78.3 average) - not directly comparable but probably equivalent to 3.8 or higher.

Type of Grad: MA Economics @ UBC starting this fall

Grad GPA: Not yet

GRE: 800Q 720V 4.5A

Courses: We have a different system in the UK but all the Maths I could take; eight quantitive courses all 1sts. Ten 1sts and two 2:1s in Economics.

Letters of Recommendation: Will be good from undergrad.

Research Experience: Two years working as government economist. undergradute and postgraduate (evenyually) theses.

Teaching Experience: Will have TA'd at UBC

Research Interests: Growth, Economic History, Conflict, Trade, Political Economy.

Concerns: Not from a famous university. Will need some letters from Profs @ UBC which I won't know that well. 4.5 AWA. Took the GRE twice (first time was 730/600/5.0.

Applying to: Yale, Harvard, Brown, Berkeley, Oxford, UBC. Maybe Stanford, UCLA, MIT, Princeton, NYU, Columbia, UCSD. I expect to get into UBC and Oxford so not putting any other safeties. Would love suggestions/reality checks!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. in Education(!) from midwestern public

Undergrad GPA: 3.3/4

GRE: 790Q, 620V, waiting on writing score

Math Courses: Calc I-II (B-,B+), Linear Algebra (A-), Statistical Methods (A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): intro micro/macro (C+,B), taking intermediate micro online right now through my old school

Other Courses: Business minor

Letters of Recommendation: won't be great. I'll have to track down old professors and get one from my current boss (school principal).

Research Experience: zip

Teaching Experience: lots of secondary teaching experience, nothing at the post-secondary level

Research Interests: Education, Labor, Theory, Environmental

SOP: haven't done it yet

Concerns: none aside from the obvious shortcomings already visible

Applying to: Iowa State for sure right now, still looking for other programs I could get into that will offer funding and give me a path to working in academia.

Please comment on this profile. Hopefully all of us will get in the programs we want to be in! Good luck in preparations!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Bachelor's degree in economics and accounting (Southeast Asian)

Undergrad GPA: 3.2/4.0

Type of Grad: Master's degree in mathematics (no thesis) (same as undergrad)

Grad GPA: 3.9/4.0

GRE: none yet

Math Courses: set theory, full calculus sequence, full statistical theory sequence, two real analysis courses, two linear algebra courses, topology, measure theory

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro 4.0/4.0

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Standard econ courses

Letters of Recommendation: 3 econ professors that I have co-authored papers with in major research projects

Research Experience: RA for econ prof, written about about 10 papers on various topics like macro, experimental economics, agent-based simulation, environmental economics, labor economics (mostly empirical), written mathematical expositions on difference equations, Hamiltonian graphs, random matrix theory

Teaching Experience: Taught advanced calculus, real analysis, optimization, statistical methods, dynamical systems (all at graduate level) Taught game theory, general equilibrium theory, advanced macroeconomics, quantitative methods (all at undergraduate level)

Research Interests: macroeconomic modeling, DSGEs, time series econometrics, asset pricing, graph-theoretic approaches to economic theory, experimental economics

SOP: must still write!

Concerns: no publications yet, no advanced courses (mainly been teaching them), have not written theory paper (although working on one)

Other: summer school at UPF, workshop in institutional economics at Coase Institute, presentations at international and local conferences

Applying to: top 25 business school phd or econ phd

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: A fairly well respected, but small private research university, with a small and not very well known PhD program. The focus is definitely at the undergrad level.

Undergrad GPA: ~3.92 Dual Degree Economics and Mathematical Statistics

Math GPA: 4.0 in advanced coursework (Two B's in Calc III and IV which I took at another institution, so I don't quite know how to calculate the exact GPA) Econ GPA ~3.99

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: TBD, I will probably take in August, after a few months of intense studying.

Math Courses: Calc I-IV, Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus (which was quite rigorous for a supposed bridge course), Probability, Math Stats, Regression. A's in everything except Calc III and IV. I'm taking grad Math Stats and Real Analysis in the fall.

Econ Courses: Many electives that are probably considered "useless" for PhD admissions.

"Important" Courses: Intermediate Micro, Advanced Macro, Mathematical Economics, Econometrics. Also a Masters level research seminar in transition economies. All A's except for an A- in advanced macro

Other Courses: Intro to Programming

Letters of Recommendation: I’m probably going to ask the Department Chair, I wrote an independent research paper for his class (PhD Stanford), a professor I'm doing research with (PhD Berkeley), and a statistics professor. All are full professors, and are not exactly "famous" but are fairly well published.

Research Experience: Currently a Summer RA on an applied econometrics project. I will write an honor's thesis in the fall.

Teaching Experience: One semester as a TA for principles of microeconomics

Research Interests: Micro-Development, Applied Micro, Applied Econometrics, a bit of Political Economy

Other: Transferred from a very low-ranked school after my freshman year.

Concerns: No doctoral level courses

Schools Targeting:

Yale, Michigan, Brown, UCSD, UPenn Cornell, Wisconsin, CalTech, Duke, Berkeley ARE, UVA, UMass, Oxford (Mphil), Toronto (doctoral stream MA)

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Economics and Mathematics, B.S. Finance from a small liberal arts college in USA

Undergrad GPA: 3.89/4, Summa Cum Laude

Type of Grad: N/A

GRE: Taking it in September

Math Courses: Calc I – III ( A’s), Elementary Statistics (A), Statistics I-11 (A’s), Number Theory (A), Differential Equations (A), Number Theory (A), Linear Algebra (A), Abstract Algebra (A), Real Analysis (A), Independent Study in Topology

Econ Courses (PhD-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Macro & Micro (A’s), Intro to Econometrics (B), Economics Seminar (A), Managing Global Economy (A), Independent Study in Micro-finance(A)

Other Courses: Some accounting and finance classes

Letters of Recommendation: Two math professors ( PhDs from Stevens Institute and Stoney Brook University respectively) and one econ professor ( M.S from Harvard)

Research Experience: Spent a summer researching on the economic aspects of micro finance schemes in the developing countries. Did an independent study in Game Theory ( Don’t know whether that counts as research experience)

Teaching Experience: T.A for Calculus I and Statistics (3 years) and tutored basic economics classes and both upper and lower level math classes

Research Interests: Development Economics, Emerging Markets

SOP: Have not started it yet

Concerns:

• My undergrad college is not a very well known college
  • Not enough math/economics classes
  • No graduate level course
  • Have not published any paper
  • LORs from relatively unknown professors
  • Not enough research experience
  • B in Intro to Econometrics

Applying to: Not sure yet; but I do not think I have any chance in getting into the top 25 econ programs :

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 10 LAC

B.A. in economics with a math concentration

Undergrad GPA: 3.55, but 3.8 without freshman grades; 3.9 Econ; 3.41 Math

Type of Grad: NA

GRE: Taking it in August

Math Courses: Calc II electives (C+/B) (first semester freshman year), Linear Algebra (B), Calc III (A), Differential Equations (A), Taking Real Analysis and Probability in the fall

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Public Policy(A-), Intro Macro (A), Econ Stat (A-), Intermediate Macro (A-), Intermediate Micro (A), Intro Econometrics (A), Global Economy (A), Advanced Macro (A)

Letters of Recommendation: Three econ professors (PhDs from Harvard, Berkeley, and Northwestern)

Research Experience: Two summers experience as an RA; beginning work on my senior thesis in the fall

Teaching Experience: TA for Intro Macro and Econometrics

Research Interests: Development, IO, Behavioral Econ

SOP: Haven't started

Concerns: A few low math grades, no grad econ classes

Applying to: NYU, Columbia, Wisconsin, Cornell, Michigan, Maryland, Illinois, BU, Brown, Michigan State, Duke, UNC, Johns Hopkins, UVA, Georgetown

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: 4 year university in Scotland

Undergrad GPA: Expected 1st class honors

GRE: August 2008

Math Courses: Taken Calculus and Statistics, Linear Algebra this summer

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Our Macro and Micro are combined, but I've done a lot of both, 2 semesters of econometrics, Monetary Theory and Policy, Capital and Growth Theory, Development Economics

Other Courses: I've done some economic history

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from Head of my Department (Oxford), not sure who else I'll ask yet, but there's a decent amount to choose from

Research Experience: Senior Dissertation, various econometrics reports...nothing published.

Research Interests: Public and International Economics

SOP: Not written yet

Concerns: Going to a British university

Other: won a few prizes here and there

Applying to: Not sure about where in the US yet (waiting on GRE scores), but UCL, LSE, Oxbridge, UBC for certain

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S.B.A. Concentration in Economics (The Econ Department at my university is part of the Business School) , Duquesne University (small private school in Pittsburgh)

Undergrad GPA: Currently 4.0, honors thesis and real analysis still awaiting me in the fall.

GRE: 800Q, 530V, still waiting on AWA

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra with Diff. Equations, Optimization, undergrad business stats, econometrics, forecasting and applied regression analysis from the Math Department. Also enrolled in real analysis and Probability Theory for this fall.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro and Macro, Econometrics and Forecasting, Game Theory, Money and Banking. Writing a senior thesis and taking Public Econ in the fall.

Other Courses: Assortment of Business core classes.

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Letters from Econ Profs and 1 from a math prof. I expect letters to be glowing, math professor has taught me for 2 years and I've conducted research for an year together with one of my econ profs. Unfortunately, I do not expect them to have any inside tracks or anything like that.

Research Experience: RA for 2 summers, 1 empirical paper that I would like to submit soon, senior thesis project coming up and I would like to submit it when done too.

Research Interests: Econometrics, Macro, International, Financial

SOP: Haven't written or thought about it honestly.

Concerns: My University is not well known and I have nothing published and especially no theory papers.

Other: Won some scholarships, a small fellowship, some other prizes.

Applying to: Still trying to decide and having a hard time on it. Dream schools include Yale, Chicago, UC San Diego, Berkeley, UPenn. Mid-range schools I like UT Austin as a mid range school (please help with others.)

profile evaluation

Profile evaluation and advice please!

Undergrad: small but good LAC

GPA: Overall - 3.845, Majors - Econ 3.94/Spanish 4.0, Minor - Math 4.0

GRE: Quant 800/Verbal 540/?

Econ: Principles (A), Intermediate Micro (A-), Intermediate Macro (A), Econ Stats (A), Internship Abroad - for credit, with econ research and consulting firm (A), Econometrics (A), History of Econ Thought (A), Game Theory (A), Intl Trade (in fall 08), Advanced Micro Theory (in spring 09)

Math: (took AP calc in HS), Cal 2 (A), Cal 3 (A), Diff Eq and Lin Alg (A), will take two Math Stats classes during the next year

LOR: 3 Econ profs who know me well and think highly of me (?), all went to very reputable schools

SOP: probably something about my research and teaching experience, want to go into intl econ

Man it feels good to finally be applying...

Type of Undergrad: Top 25 with a top 40ish econ program. BA in econ.

Undergrad GPA: Overall: 3.74, Econ: 3.8ish, Math: bad.

Type of Grad: Not highly ranked, top 100ish. MS in applied math.

Grad GPA (so far): 3.9

GRE: 790Q / 740V / 5.0 AWA.

Math Courses:

Undergrad: Calc III (B+), ODE (C- (Ouch, I know)), Real Analysis (A-), Linear Algebra (A). The first two classes I took my very first year in college, so I'm hoping they'll be discounted.

Grad: Analysis (A-) (taken at the summer school of a top 10), Measure Theory (A-), Math Stats (A), ODE (A*), Functional Analysis (A*)

Econ Courses:

Undergrad: Intro. Micro (A), Intro. Macro (A), Money and Banking (A), Economy of China (A-), Intro to Econ Stats (B+), Mathematical Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (B+), Econometrics (A), International Trade (A), Distinguished Majors Seminar (A), Independent Study (A)

Grad: PhD Micro I (A-), PhD Micro II (A*)

Courses marked with a * were courses in which I can get a LOR saying I was the best student in the class; these 3 courses are also the 3 most recent on my transcript, which might help.

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from my PhD Micro II professor, 1 from my functional analysis prof, and 1 from the prof I RAed for. All will have very nice things to say about me, but only the prof I RAed for is well known.

Research Experience: Summer at the Fed, senior thesis, 1 year + 1 summer as an RA for a professor, RAing at the IMF while applying.

Research Interests: International Finance, Time Series

Note: I'm only applying to the top schools this year. If I don't get in this time around (which is what I expect) I'll spend another year at the IMF, get LORs from economists there and apply to a wider range of schools.

Applying to: MIT, Harvard, Chicago, Princeton, Yale, Berkeley, Minnesota, Columbia, NYU.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. quantitative economics with math minor from large public university

Undergrad GPA: 3.8/4

Type of Grad: M.S. Statistics from same school

Grad GPA: None yet

GRE: 800Q/700V/5.5AW

Math/Stats Courses: Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Number Theory and Cryptology, Probability and Statistics, "Intro to Abstract math" (proof-writing basically) and Calculus of course...Grades not as high as I'd like but they're much better in the upper division classes

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Empirical Methods, Math for Economists (Fall)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate micro and macro theory, game theory, asymmetric information, econometrics, electives in public economics mostly (A's in everything)

Letters of Recommendation: Three econ professors from Berkeley, SD, and Stanford (hopefully), possibly a math prof from Urbana-Champaign

Research Experience: Seems that I have been forever working as an RA...plus a summer at the Fed (we seem to be well represented here...)

Teaching Experience: tutor for intermediate micro theory class through university

Research Interests: micro, game theory, public economics, behavioral

Concerns: oh boy. everything really.

Applying to: a lot of reaches, apparently. yikes. the dream schools right now are MIT and Caltech

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S.B.A. in International Economics and Finance, Math minor, from a 1st tier nation university (U.S. News and World Report) without an econ PhD program. (Had one but it was shut down a few years ago)

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 overall, 3.9 in econ, 4.0 in math

GRE: Will know in August

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Topics in Math Sol Sci, Fundamentals of Adv Math, Analysis I (fall), Probability and Stat (fall)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate micro and macro, econ stat I, econ stat II: intro metrics, econometric models, international econ

Other Courses: A lot of business classes, corporate finance, investment analysis, international corporate finance, computer programming (fall)

Letters of Recommendation: All well published, all should write great things.

Research Experience: Working on a paper now that I hope to publish

Teaching Experience: TA for econ stat I & II for a year, will continue next fall and spring probably. A year of tutoring calculus I & II and intro macro and micro.

Research Interests: Political economics, game theory, micro

SOP: In process of writing

Concerns: Haven't taken GRE yet

Applying to: I haven't finalized the list; depends on whether I ace the GRE. Any suggestions?

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Very good German university, undergrad in business

Undergrad GPA: highest distinction, class rank 1/225

Type of Grad: same German school, master-equivalent in finance and quantitative economics

Grad GPA: 4.0 equivalent, class rank 1/200+

Additional Schools: Summer School at LSE (Grade: A+), 1 year in MBA program UIowa (GPA: 3.96)

GRE: Q:800/V:510/A:?

Math Courses: (they have different names in Germany) Math I, Math II, Stats I, Stats II, Mathematical Methods (PhD Level course)

Econ Courses : Micro I/II, Macro I/II, Econometrics, Public Finance, Quantitative Economics, Economic Policy, Applied Time Series

Other Courses: bunch of finance courses Fixed Income, Options, Stochastic Calculus in Finance, etc

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from my German school (finance prof, thesis adviser, i am a RA for him), 1 from Iowa (econ prof, aced one of his courses, was a TA for him), 1 from LSE (econ prof). All of them are well known/published

Research Experience: 2 years for a quant finance prof

Teaching Experience: 2x undergrad micro in Iowa + tutoring

Research Interests: Financial Econometrics, Asset Pricing, Behavioral Finance

SOP: in progress...

Concerns: not sure whether to apply to econ or finance programs, also not sure what the admission guys think of my home school

Applying to: Chicago Econ, Princeton Econ, Yale Financial Econ, Stanford GSB, Berkeley Finance, Cornell Finance, MIT Financial Econ, LSE Finance, Zurich Finance, CMU Financial Econ, Duke Finance/Econ etc ('d love to hear some recommendations from you :) )

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Industrial Engineering from top 5 Engineering, top 25 overall research university

Undergrad GPA: 3.2/4

Type of Grad: M.S. Econ through first year (large US state university, non-PhD granting), additional undergrad Econ, undergrad math and grad math there as well

Grad/PostBac GPA: 4.0/4

GRE: 800Q, 630V, 5.0AWA

Math Courses: Calc II (A), Calc III (B), Linear Algebra (B), Differential Equations (A), Adv Calc I (A), Grad Analysis (Fall), Grad Topology (Fall)

Econ Courses (grad): Micro (A), Econometrics (A), Forecasting (A), Macro (Fall)

Econ Courses (undergrad): Int Micro (A), Int Macro (A), Econometrics (A)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 econ professors or 2 econ, 1 math

Research Experience: Almost none, just a Directed Study on Growth

Research Interests: Growth and Development

Concerns: 5 years between first undergrad and grad/postbac. Mediocre undergrad GPA. Lack of research experience.

Applying to: Duke, Maryland, Johns Hopkins, UVA, UNC, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, NC St, Clemson, South Carolina, maybe a couple others

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Public, Top 40 Econ PhD program

Undergrad GPA: 4.0, Economics (Honors) and Political Science

GRE: 800Q, 740V, 5.5AWA

Math Courses: Calc I-II (AP test), Multivar. Calc (A), Math Stats I-II (A, A+), Linear Alg. (A+), ODE (A+), Undergrad Real Analysis (A+), PhD Real Analysis (Withdrawal).

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Micro I w/MWG (A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Standard intermediate and field courses (A/A+'s), Econometrics (A+)

Letters of Recommendation: Should be very enthusiastic I think. One from PhD micro prof./informal thesis adviser (Stanford GSB PhD), one from current boss (Harvard PhD), one from well-known metrics prof. (Fellow, Econometric Society & ASA).

Research Experience: RA for econ prof (lit rev.), Honors Thesis (Simple game theory application), RA at economic think tank (some in-house discussion papers + potential co-authored journal submission)

Teaching Experience: Limited tutoring.

Research Interests: Public, Environmental, Development, Applied Metrics

SOP: Focus on learning more and more rigorous methods to work on the types of problems I've encountered in my job.

Concerns: My "W" in PhD Analysis, but I hope the combination of previous math grades, LOR's, and my performance PhD Micro will quell some of the related doubts.

Applying to: MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Michigan, UCSD, Maryland, UT-Austin, a couple more top 10s/top 20s, plus a safety TBD.

• 3 weeks later...
PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

B.A. (Economics + General Math + Sociology)

150th-ish ranked Econ PhD Program.

Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4.0

GRE: not taken yet (worried so much)

Undergrad Courses:

Calc I - III, Linear Algebra, and Math Reasoning (All As)

Diff Eq (In Prog); Real Analysis, and Probability Theory (this Fall)

Intermediate Mico and Macro (Both As)

Grad Courses:

Master's Micro + Econometrics (this Fall)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 professors (Not well known...)

Research Experience: Summer Research (Not going well...)

Concerns: Academic background is too poor to hit top 20... Want to get into top 50 at least...

Applying to: U. Maryland, Johns Hopkins, U. of Washington, and Lower Ranked Schools...

hi, I took GRE yesterday, and I got 390/770... :(

OMG... I am an international student but I went through four years of higher education here in the U.S.

Does this verbal score rule me out of top 50ish schools?

I really don't want to take it again. I was too painful... :doh:

Oh, btw, I got A in Diff Eq as well. Yay!